Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tubeless in texas

So I'm getting into the sport and I'm curious how many in texas go tubeless due to goatheads and other thorns that are in many parts of the state. I have a pos bike now and am upgrading and getting into this thing soon.

mtbr member
    Almost mandatory out here in El Paso!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    Almost mandatory out here in El Paso!
    I'm from there....19 years. You have great riding areas.

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    Only way to go. I waited two years and probably spent 200 bucks on tubes. Spent 80 on stans tubeless kit and havent had a problem.
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

mtbr member
    Not only will it reduce flats to almost zero. Your bike will climb better and handle better. Its the only way to go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'm here in SA and ride the road and the trails with my MTB's. All tubeless...
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    UST specific set up here and with Orange Seal.

Works great. But if you are heavy like me (230) be sure and keep at lesat 32 psi or you will burp some air on hard impacts. I had let mine get to under 20 and burped some on yesterday's ride..heard a loud phssss too and when I arrived back at the car park I noted orange sealant around circumference of tire/rim interface.

Tubeless is awesome. To think I used to say I'd never go disc brakes, full suspension or tubeless. haha. All are essential now. Well not really, but all sure do make the ride so much easier.

mtbr member
    finally went tubeless the other day with Stans. I borrowed my neighbor's air compressor. if you dont have one, Im not sure how most people do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    finally went tubeless the other day with Stans. I borrowed my neighbor's air compressor. if you dont have one, Im not sure how most people do it....
    Depends on the tire and other factors.

My experience:
    • Kenda BG and Nevs and Stans I use compressor or CO2 cartridges and either work, but sealing takes days.
    • Maxxis Advantage and Stans - same as above, but sealing is quick
    • Maxxis Advantage and Orange Seal a floor pump works, seals quicker than Stans
    • Specialized Purgatory TubeBliss and Orange Seal a floor pump works - easiest inflation and sealing ever

Personally, I find the Orange Seal to be much less messy and less clumpy than Stans. OS clumps at the site of a puncture, but Stans seems to clump up randomly. Plus Orange Seal is a Texas company, right here in the burbs of Austin and having met most of them on the trail I am happy to support their product.

Quiet Professional
    I have been wondering about tubeless. My local shop charges 30.00 a wheel to go tubeless. I have Kenda Nevegal that came with my Giant reign and wondering if these will work. Since I currently live in Killeen should I change out my tires?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Like hunrugger says sealing (read--no leaks) could take days. my first attemptes with tubeless were with Nevs and the sidewalls leech like a mofo.

Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    I have been wondering about tubeless. My local shop charges 30.00 a wheel to go tubeless. I have Kenda Nevegal that came with my Giant reign and wondering if these will work. Since I currently live in Killeen should I change out my tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Like hunrugger says sealing (read--no leaks) could take days. my first attemptes with tubeless were with Nevs and the sidewalls leech like a mofo.
    This, mine didn't seal for a week or so, but once they did no issues at all.

mtbr member
    I have stans with ardents i put the kit on inflated them rode 20mins after.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If tubeless is so reliable, why do I keep giving tubes to guys with tubeless flats on the trails?

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    If tubeless is so reliable, why do I keep giving tubes to guys with tubeless flats on the trails?
    Nothing is perfect. It's not too smart to ride without a back up tube.
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

mtbr member
    i started with a 2.35 Nevegal (non-UST version)/2.1 WTB Wierwolf (UST version) and Stans Flow wheelset with Stans sealant. The Nevegal was pumped up to around 40 psi. 3-4 hours later, it was prolly down to around 25, so I pumped it back up. The next morning, it was a little lower than 40, but not much. I pumped it back up and rode it on the road for a few miles. Hasnt leaked since really.

The Wierwolf hasnt leaked at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    I was very skeptical until my riding buddy went tubeless and he stopped flatting while I kept having to change toobs.

(Knocks on wood) - I've had 3 flats in almost 3 years since going tubeless and I have given about a half a dozen or more tubes to tubed guys. And in the 3 years prior to that I bet I had more than 15 flats.

Flat 1 - massive sidewall tear - I was able to re-inflate multiple times to limp back.
    Flat 2 - off camber landing with a complete air loss burp (and crash) - re-inflated and completed the race.
    Flat 3 - repeat of #2 and never got it seated again due to tiny rim dent (discovered this at home).

All of these occurred with the Maxxis Advantage - not riding those things again.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just installed a 2.25 Michelin Wild Grip'r Advantage tubeless-ready tire via ghetto tubeless & it sealed up with no issues. I prefer tires with reinforced sidewalls but this time wanted to save a few bucks for some other upgrades. First ride on it tomorrow. Other tires I've ridden are Hans Dampf, the Ardent EXO, & a Geax which I can't remember the model. All sealed up easy with the 20" tube for liner. I use Stan's (a guy at the bike shop told me he thought the Orange was really messy). Stan's has worked for me even when I've gone too long without putting some fresh sealant in.

mtbr member
    It's great following this conversation for me, as I'm getting into this because basketball has been taken away from me. Being new to mountain biking, I have taken my current pos bike out and gotten goatheads and flats. I am looking at getting a cannondale 29'er 5 at my lbs and have them start me off tubeless. Is there a trek, felt or Scott or trek in the $750 range I should also look at? I'm in collin county if anyone has trail suggestions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    It's great following this conversation for me, as I'm getting into this because basketball has been taken away from me. Being new to mountain biking, I have taken my current pos bike out and gotten goatheads and flats. I am looking at getting a cannondale 29'er 5 at my lbs and have them start me off tubeless. Is there a trek, felt or Scott or trek in the $750 range I should also look at? I'm in collin county if anyone has trail suggestions.
    I would buy a used bike for $750.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    I would buy a used bike for $750.

To elaborate....you would buy a bike with better components and used is the way to do that for the same budget? As a novice, when I see an ad that lists components....it doesn't mean squat to me. My thought about the cannondale is that it is suppose to be a very good frame for the $.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    What area in Texas are you in? Craigslist always has deals on bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salscott View Post
    To elaborate....you would buy a bike with better components and used is the way to do that for the same budget? As a novice, when I see an ad that lists components....it doesn't mean squat to me. My thought about the cannondale is that it is suppose to be a very good frame for the $.
    $750 will get you an ok hard tail. I dont know what trails you wanna ride so i cant tell ya what to get. A ok hardtail with crap fork maybe ok for you, it also could not be.

I bought a used bike off craigslist. It was a hardtail, in 2 months i got a full suspension.

sent from my galaxy tab 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    $750 will get you an ok hard tail. I dont know what trails you wanna ride so i cant tell ya what to get. A ok hardtail with crap fork maybe ok for you, it also could not be.

I bought a used bike off craigslist. It was a hardtail, in 2 months i got a full suspension.

sent from my galaxy tab 2
    Yeah...I'm not sure either. I am in north dfw. I do know that I'm OCD when I dig something and I've been spinning for 5 months due to a knee issue. I'm a Clyde....so the fork does give me pause.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast