mtbr member

Trails near Caddo Lake?

Planning a labor day trip up to Caddo Lake, not far from Caddo State Park. Any off-road trails up that way?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Google Caddo Lake national Wildlife refuge, and also "the monkey trail." I would have provided links but the rules say I need ten posts...

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I've already been in touch with the Wildlife management area and was told about the roads and trails, but there is a pricey day-use fee one must pay to visit. So that was a deal-killer.

We're going to just ride the cruiser bikes at the place we are staying. I was really surprised, because around the DFW area there are literally dozens of trails and parks with miles and miles of mountain biking and trail riding. I guess it's just not as popular in that area.
    Roots, Rocks, Ruts and Padded Butts

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    CJ I'm going to pass this along to a few of my friends that have been working on developing commerce in and around the refuge. It has been our feel that the "friends of the refuge" do more to drive away people than they do to bring them to our area. I truly hope you have fun at Caddo Lake. I was born and raised there and know the lake from the damn at Lake of the Pines to the damn in Mooringsport La.

mtbr member
    Thanks for taking an interest. One thing I am noticing, Tyler State Park should be booming. The parks south of Dallas have raised prices and quality has gone down, so folks are saying to go to Tyler instead. When I called the Caddo Lake State Park and asked about mountain biking, they also said Tyler was the closest place.

The thing is, I bought a camper and we camp because we like to ride mountain bikes. So, we only choose campgrounds that have mountain bike trails.

This trip to Uncertain, Texas is a family reunion of sorts and I was just really surprised that there were no mountain bike trails at the state park or elsewhere for that matter.

Anyway, I know folks like to hunt and fish, but biking is another aspect to generate revenue.

Thanks!
    Roots, Rocks, Ruts and Padded Butts

XC racer
    May 2005
    I think what you'll find, at least in Texas, is that the majority of mountainbikers are concentrated in/near the major population centers. State parks that are close enough to get some of that business are willing to build and maintain mtb trails. Others farther off the beaten track not so much.
    On an only semi-related note, I rode a trail in Hickory Knob SP in South Carolina last month while on vacation that was an absolutely beautiful, rolling 15 miles of singletrack.....and it looked like I'd been the only one there in weeks. It had been built and maintained by somebody, but it almost seemed like a private trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Your welcome I forwarded the information to my friend this morning. Tyler State Park is a great place to camp and ride. Hopefully in the future if we can show enough interest in the sport we can get some decent trails built here in East Texas. Heck I ended up buying my bike in Tyler...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I spent last weekend in Shreveport, and rode monkey twice. It is a fun trail that I loved. I will definetly be going back. Check out www.locomtb.com for info on Shreveport area trails. I rode Tyler on Friday and Sunday and it wsn't crowded at all. It is a great trail also.
    If ya ain't bleedin'...ya ain't ridin'.

mtbr member
    The best thing to at Caddo is paddle. Bring a kayak or rent canoe at the park. The swamps are beautiful. Just don't get lost in the cypress.