mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Trail map for "new" Brushy Creek Trails yet?

Can't seem to find anything documented yet. Just curious if there's something floating out there which I might have missed. Thx!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    There's a map or two buried in this thread somewhere.

Brushy Creek Regional Singletrack

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Rode it twice this week, ran GPS and took pictures. Should be on the website very soon. Maybe tomorrow if the temperature is too cold to ride
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Rode it twice this week, ran GPS and took pictures. Should be on the website very soon. Maybe tomorrow if the temperature is too cold to ride
    Looking forward to it. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Much appreciated! Gave it a whirl today (gorgeous weather) and met Nick from Bike Mojo on the trails.

Great place! Wanted to gap "Dare" but was pretty gassed by that point and didn't want my first ride to possibly end with a faceplant!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah that place is a lot of fun. Still very challenging to me. Haven't gotten the chance to do picnic yet and the basket drop. I walked Dare cause I was too scared also. I did cru at the end of muligan and crapped my pants. It was great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Are you talking about the drop at the end of mulligan that goes down to the concrete trail? That is nothing. And I am not a guy for big drops. Give it a shot next time. Now, picnic, on the other hand....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Trail status is unclear, link removed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Are you talking about the drop at the end of mulligan that goes down to the concrete trail? That is nothing. And I am not a guy for big drops. Give it a shot next time. Now, picnic, on the other hand....
    Yeah that one. And I did it but it was still scary. I still haven;t gotten to do picnic & basket but I've done big drops before and they weren't as scary as cru. For some reason a lot of speed like that just freaks me out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Trail status is unclear, link removed.
    That thread frustrates me to no end. Multiple places on the internet list it and hundreds ride it on a regular basis. People drive from Houston and DFW to specifically ride it but the guys there don't want the unclean masses to invade their sacred territory. I wash my hands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: Trail map for "new" Brushy Creek Trails yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    That thread frustrates me to no end. Multiple places on the internet list it and hundreds ride it on a regular basis. People drive from Houston and DFW to specifically ride it but the guys there don't want the unclean masses to invade their sacred territory. I wash my hands.
    Yeah I agree immensely.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Yeah that one. And I did it but it was still scary. I still haven;t gotten to do picnic & basket but I've done big drops before and they weren't as scary as cru. For some reason a lot of speed like that just freaks me out.
    As it should. I take the Cru drop every time, but it still scares me because if I get squirrely and clip that tree on the left, there's going to be broken bones. You really should take picnic and basket drop. I'll say again that it looks much worse than it is as it's near vertical. Roll it. By the time your rear clears the lip, the front is in the transition. Drop your seat, back that ass up and don't finger the brakes. Remember to keep your weight over the bottom bracket. Most of my bails on that drop have to do with me not getting my weight centered fast enough after I exit the transition. Then the front end starts to drift because it isn't weighted enough and the front tire usually rolls to the left and I end up in the grass to the left a few feet before that tree. That drop isn't that dangerous because the speed is usually pretty low as the entry speed is'nt that high so you don't end up dropping to flat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Agreed 100%. If this was private land, I'd be behind them entirely. However, to have trails at a public park which have been discussed at length on dozens of websites doesn't seem to lend itself to this "keep it a secret" mentality.

With that said, I would hate to see folks dumb it down and make it less challenging. However, at some point you have to trust your fellow riders and just let everyone enjoy it.

Great trails though! Just wish I had a goddamn map so I could plan a route! LOL

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You can try "shopping around" for other people's gps data.

Sites like Garmin Connect, Strava, etc all have an option for downloading GPX data. Some of the search engines within those databases are jinky, but sometimes you can find what you need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here's the Strava link for Deception only without Picnic and Mulligan from the thread on VooDoo. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Brushy Creek - Deception near Cedar Park | Times and Records | Strava

Here's one from the same thread on mapmyrun. It starts from a weird spot though. Brushy Creek Deception Trail Course - 5.7 mi mapped course on MapMyRun

Here's a google maps/MS paint map of the place and routes as of about six months ago. There has been a connector added to the turnaround of picnic to right at the "vortex" swoopy switchback portion of the middle of deception since then. It's from one of the three main trailbuilder's blog.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Here's the Strava link for Deception only without Picnic and Mulligan from the thread on VooDoo. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Brushy Creek - Deception near Cedar Park | Times and Records | Strava

Here's one from the same thread on mapmyrun. It starts from a weird spot though. Brushy Creek Deception Trail Course - 5.7 mi mapped course on MapMyRun

Here's a google maps/MS paint map of the place and routes as of about six months ago. There has been a connector added to the turnaround of picnic to right at the "vortex" swoopy switchback portion of the middle of deception since then. It's from one of the three main trailbuilder's blog.
    Thank you for this!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    You really don't need a map. Once on deception there aren't any splits, etc... Just ride until you hit the jeep road.

Side note - do people really use maps when riding? I ride a lot of new trails while solo and while I do research prior, once on the trails I just roll with it. Seems easier, but that's merely my opinion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I do on trails that aren't loops. Like you said deception doesn't have any splits so a map isn't necessary unless you wanted to find picnic or milligan i guess. When I'm at a new trail with multiple splits and trails if they provide a map at the trail head I'll take one.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    the map is mostly just useful for finding where a trail starts. this is useful for a linear trail. by the way, AWESOME job on Deception! it's so nice to ride a linear trail, unlike BCGB, where I get thoroughly lost every time I ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Issues resolved, Brushy creek is back on my site.

Mack, we still need to ride the GB sometime. I can show you all of it. Just maybe not the mud next time.

mtbr member
    Ed hit drop on Picnic Saturday, first time smooth, second time, blew his rear tire and crashed. i think he should try again...
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member

Brushy Creek Regional Trail is the concrete, I just say that because ppl actually have shop rides and ride calls to ride the actual BCRT and not our singletrack. Collectively we call our trails Deception; Mulligan, Picnic and Barn are just different sections of our series.

Talks with county are yielding great results, we have a formal Interim Trail Guidelines agreement set up, but still pending an official MOA. They are even dangling a 1000 acre tract in front of us to build on after we have some history behind us after going completely official.

Tons of improvements recently, berms (not for the sake of berms), rock armoring wet areas and root protection. More to come.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    the map is mostly just useful for finding where a trail starts. this is useful for a linear trail. by the way, AWESOME job on Deception! it's so nice to ride a linear trail, unlike BCGB, where I get thoroughly lost every time I ride.
    Thanks.

We agreed in the beginning that we did not want a spiderweb of trails. We wanted to minimize the entry/exits and intersections. For the most part it's a no brainer to ride Deception proper start to finish without getting confused or lost.

Most likely in the future we will have the first 3 miles available as a loop, it's the much easier section of trail and I anticipate us having warning signs at Ravine Drop (Swag Rock) indicating "Expert Only Beyond This Point". If so we'll create a lollipop or connect the trail back to itself on the line right beside Ravine Drop. Hell, other than that there's really not much room for loops. We wanted to maximize the real estate as much as possible without losing mileage or creating a web of erosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk