Big Damn Hero

Tour de Hill Country

Hey guys, Iím going to be a bachelor from May 30th Ė June 4th as my wife and kiddo are heading out of town to her parents. Iím planning on driving out to the hill country (from Houston) on Thursday night (5/30) and doing my own mini Tour de Hill Country. My goal is to ride all day Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday before heading home Sunday evening. Iím hoping you guys can give me some suggestions as where to ride. In regards to hill country trails, Iíve really only ridden Comfort and Camp Eagle. Comfort is definitely on my list of places to ride, but Camp Eagle is probably a little too far out of my way. I plan on riding 20-40 miles at each locale and then moving on to the next trail system. I'm hoping to get to at least two trails each day. I realize Iím going to have to drive quite a bit but am cool with that and Iíll just find a hotel in the town wherever I find myself at the end of the day. Itís going to be a whirl wind weekend, but Lord (and legs) willing, Iím hoping to get in at least 50-70 miles a day.

In addition to Comfort, the places Iím considering are: Reimerís Ranch, Reveille Ranch, Muleshoe, Madrone and possibly Solavaca and Cameron Park even though they aren't traditional hill country trails. I was hoping you guys could throw out some suggestions as to other places to ride or your thoughts on the Reimers, Reveille, Muleshoe or Madrone since Iíve never ridden there.

I want to avoid the super techy stuff like Emma Long as Iím not sure I want to be testing the upper limits of my tech skills solo.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Tour de Hill Country

The loop around lake Georgetown is another option. I guess that's technically not the hill country but you could do that loop then had to burnet and hit rpr.

That seems like an ambitious trek to do two rides a day, but it does sound fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    Iím hoping to get in at least 50-70 miles a day.

In addition to Comfort, the places Iím considering are: Reimerís Ranch, Reveille Ranch, Muleshoe, Madrone and possibly Solavaca and Cameron Park even though they aren't traditional hill country trails. I was hoping you guys could throw out some suggestions as to other places to ride or your thoughts on the Reimers, Reveille, Muleshoe or Madrone since Iíve never ridden there.

I want to avoid the super techy stuff like Emma Long as Iím not sure I want to be testing the upper limits of my tech skills solo.
    you must be a beast if you're planning on 50-70 non houston miles a day!

i would give reveille peak its own day since theres enough trail there to explore and its out on its own a bit. have a burger at Reverend Jim's Pub afterwards. If you're wanting to get on to the next location to stay closer to riding the next day, hit DoubleHorn Brewery for grub in Marble Falls on your way to Pace Bend/Reimers/Muleshoe. Do 2 of those trails the next day. Hit Comfort/Madrone the next day then back to Humidston. That oughta make a nice little tour loop.

just a suggestion. interested to hear what you end up doing.
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

Big Damn Hero
    Cool, thanks weaver. It's certainly going to be challenge given all the climbing I'll face but since I don't get opportunities like this too often I have to take advantage of them! Since I won't be going at race or really even a fast pace I'm hoping I'll be able to conserve enough energy to reach my goal of 150 miles in those three days...

I've never been to Reveille Peak before, but from what I've seen on their website they have TONS of mileage out there. Are there any specific trails that are 'must do' trails?

Oh, and I'm planning on bringing a point and shoot camera so I can document the weekend. If so, I'll post the synopsis on here.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    this is a popular loop: Reveille Peak Tour Mountain Bike Ride, Burnet, TX

i prefer the Race Loop in counterclockwise direction and the rpr loop, upper loop, and inner loops in clockwise direction.

if i were going to suggest one for you i'd say start with the race loop in counterclockwise direction all the way back around until you get to the RPR Loop (formerly known as the original Upper Loop) and take that up to Decision Point Trail. Take that short jeep road up to the top and enjoy the view at the Cross and lookout point. Take the Super D down and finish off the rest of the race loop in clockwise direction. If you're "done!" by end of the Super D then just take the RPR Trail back to the Pavillion. Showers and a wading pool available at the pavillion/parking area.

gpx files of any use to you? if not, just make sure you take a map with you.

A lot of people do the race loop clockwise to the RPR Loop and do it clockwise then finish the race loop. Other than suggested routes id say make sure whatever route you do gets you up to the top: Cox Photography Cross photo.

what terrain do you enjoy? RPR is a place I've ridden in all but a lightning storm so if weather is looming, don't count RPR out.

You might want to go ahead and touch base with them now to find out what closures they may have during those dates. They have 2 events going on that weekend: Events | Reveille Peak Ranch

this was a quick loop that didn't include the view from the top. Had to get back for something or we would have cut over at Dec Pt Trail to Super D then back down. This loop isn't bad though and as you can see it will get you almost 1500ft of climbing over 11miles. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Rain? Pfffstt... RPR Ride with BJones near Burnet | Times and Records | Strava

im going to assume that sweet ass Scalpel is going with you? RPR is pretty exposed due to the upper stuff being lots and lots of granite. I live 15mins away and we'll be hitting 99F today apparently. Make sure you take more water than you think you need and bring your spare hanger(s) and tools.

There's a TINY chance I'll be able to hit it during that time frame. If so, I'll touch base and maybe catch that ride with you. Lemme know what other ones you are doing and maybe can put you in touch with those real familiar with the trails so they can give you a proper tour or at least some recommended/often traveled routes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I have never been to RPR before either but I hear the upper and lower loops are "must hit" trails.

Big Damn Hero
    Weaver, thats an awesome post. Thanks again for all the feedback. I have a Garmin 500 so i think I can upload gpx files to it. I'll research it a bit more tonight. In regards to terrain, I enjoy it all... everything the rooty stuff of Tyler State Park to the rocky chunk of Camp Eagle. I've only been on the smooth sandy single track around Houston on the Scalpel, but I'm super it can handle some of the more extreme terrain. I'll have both bikes with me, the Scalpel and my Orbea Alma. I'll probably ride the Alma at Comfort and RHR and the Scalpel at all the other places.

Good point about the trail closures, I hadn't even thought of that. I'll have to check with all the places I'm planning on going to see whats up. As for hydration, I'll be rocking a camelbak and water bottle so between those I'm hoping to be ok. May get a bigger bladder for the camelbak depending upon what the forecast looks like.

It must be nice living so close to those trails. I've got a few trails within an hour of me (Double Lakes and Huntsville State Park are the most popular) but nothing quite like what you guys have out west!

mtbr member

There are definitely a plethora of trails in central TX. RPR is a special place for sure too.

Look forward to hearing more about your plan for places and I'll get whatever info I can for ya.