Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Goodluck to your crazies at EE. Hopefully it's not too cold, it stays dry, and no one DNFs.

And as always, keep it tidy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    how'd it go guys? Heard the weather was pretty unforgiving and made for some slick conditions...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobiker View Post
    how'd it go guys? Heard the weather was pretty unforgiving and made for some slick conditions...
    DNF'ed got tired or riding in the cold and rain legs felt good horsepower was there but the will wasn't.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I finished in 5:54.

If there had been an opportunity to quit, I would have considered it.

Excrutiation Exam:
    Distance: 80 mile race spread out like this - 0.5 mile run for a Le Mans start. About 5 miles of single track. 30 miles of mostly dirt roads. 20 miles of single track. 20 miles of mostly dirt road back to the ranch at the start then another 5 miles of single track.
    Weather: 41-46F and rain.
    Category: 19-29.

How it played out:
    I don't run. Mid pack to the bike pretty much locked me into mid pack through the first singletrack. One big thing is which grup you make it into for the road sections. Obviously my group was... Mid pack. Within the first minute I could see the total disfunction of my group. A couple guys were bridging up to the next group, so I hopped on. It wasn't meant to be, on the second or third hill I popped and dropped back to the disfunctional group.

I spent about 20 minutes trying to get a pace line going, but hard to teach mountain bikers such things. Sat in, a group of two went up the road, getting about a minute on us. Fast forward another hour and a half, we hit the next singletrack. The two up the road were caught on the first hill in the singletrack. It was me and another dude by ourselves after that. About 20 minutes into the 2 hours of singletrack, I hit a tree and went down, other dude road on. So I spent the next hour by myself, passed quite a few people, but this was getting into "survival" territory, rather than actual racing.

FINALLY, I hooked up with someone. We road along together for a while. Then got another one - someone in my age bracket - someone to race against. We hit a super muddy off-camber section and the two guys decided to walk. I slipped and slided, but kept it upright and they were GONE.

I got on the road again (dirt/gravel mostly) with no one in front of me and no one behind me. This is when I finally got cold. 20 miles left, after already racing for about 4.5 hours. There's not much to say here. I rode the next hour and a half by myself. I don't keep a computer on my bike, so I had no idea how much was left or even how long I'd been riding. I couldn't grip the bars, was soaking wet, my back was beyond pain, shivering began, legs slowed, and by the miracle of little baby Jesus I didn't bonk or flat - which would have meant certain hypothermia. I finished just 1 minute behind the person in front of me... despite not seeing ANYONE for the hour and a half from RHR to BCR.

I finished in 5:54, good for 8th place in 19-29 men.

Back at my car, I had to get someone to take my gloves, shoes, helmet, and camelback off - then had to get them to start the car. I sat in the car for 30 minutes before I could feel my fingers. People were still straggling in.

Team Livemedium
    ouch. How'd you like that hill climb leaving Rocky Hill?
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    ouch. How'd you like that hill climb leaving Rocky Hill?
    You know, at that point I was still hyped on adrenalin since I had just dropped that little group in the mud, so the hill didn't really compute for me. All the other hills did though... I was on the verge of cramping pretty much the whole time during RHR and the road back. A few times my leg locked up, but I managed to ride through it mostly.

mtbr member
    congrats on anyone that finished i'm a big puss for quitting but i'd rather not put a brand new S-Works bike through the muddy sandy mess of RHR in the rain.

cold i can deal with cold and rain BZzzzzzzz....game over.

Big Damn Hero
    So who's in for Comfort? First time riding there, so I'll be doing the half marathon out there...
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm in. First time riding (racing) there, also!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I very likely will be racing it. I did the half marathon 3 years ago. Interesting course...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jek007 View Post
    I'm in. First time riding (racing) there, also!
    I'd pre ride that course as many times as you can before you race it. I raced there in the Spring for the first time(riding it as well) and man did it beat my bike up. First major crash there.

I'll be a course marshal for the marathon, no racing it til XC time.

Big Damn Hero
    I'd pre ride that course as many times as you can before you race it. I raced there in the Spring for the first time(riding it as well) and man did it beat my bike up. First major crash there.

I'll be a course marshal for the marathon, no racing it til XC time.
    We live about 4.5 hours away from Comfort... preride probably isn't in the cards. We raced Camp Eagle blindly as well. It's an added challenge.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wife was nice and ordered me a 32T change ring, its going to replace my 36T for the race. I will see yall there, look for the nut in a POC lid on an ellsworth. Anyone have a course map?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    look on the flatrockranch.net site to find a course map.

Half= lower loop, then upper loop 27 miles
    Full= lower, then upper, then lower, then upper(brutal)

I'll be a course marshal out there this weekend. Good luck everyone!

mtbr member
    Looked at the website and only saw a video... maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Can anyone give a brief description of the marathon course (i.e. major bottlenecks/climbs)- heading out from El Paso this week to race then going down to Big Bend to hang out/ride.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I probably not making it unfortunately. Just can't bring myself to leave town again this weekend. I think it's been 3 or 4 weekends in a row, and many more to come.

Looking forwards to the Smithville weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    Looked at the website and only saw a video... maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Can anyone give a brief description of the marathon course (i.e. major bottlenecks/climbs)- heading out from El Paso this week to race then going down to Big Bend to hang out/ride.

Thanks!
    There are some videos on youtube of last years. Lots of sections of bottle necking, people stopping and waitng for people to clear a section. Looks like a good area to pass people . I saw one climb that had a 1 foot ledge in the middle of it .

Anyone know of any drops? If so, how big?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
    There are some videos on youtube of last years. Lots of sections of bottle necking, people stopping and waitng for people to clear a section. Looks like a good area to pass people . I saw one climb that had a 1 foot ledge in the middle of it .

Anyone know of any drops? If so, how big?
    There's one little hospital section that they had a paramedic stationed at the year I did the half. Probably 4-5 ft tiered drop. It's on the second loop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Johnny you talking about Hospital Hill?

It's not that bad a drop. Have some speed, rail it, land clean, enjoy the cheers. It's at the bottom of the Upper Loop before you hit the transition for the lower loop. All us XC guys fly that thing, so no worries there 2000.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Johnny you talking about Hospital Hill?

It's not that bad a drop. Have some speed, rail it, land clean, enjoy the cheers. It's at the bottom of the Upper Loop before you hit the transition for the lower loop. All us XC guys fly that thing, so no worries there 2000.
    Sweet. I will be hitting it blind, never see it or done that drop before. If you have a pic of it, can you post it so I know when it is coming up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You won't miss it. You go through one last gate passing and a sign before going through says "Hospital Hill". I believe it sits around mile 14-15 if you have a cycloputer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    thank you for the pic, thats nothing at all. Look for the nut rocking an ellsworth wearing a POC lid, that would be me.

Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just got home and wow, there was a lot of climbing, my GPS said right around a 1/2 mile. I did a 36 mile race out here, in san angelo, in less time than it took at comfort. I am not happy at all with my time. But I did have fun, got to ride new trails and meet some cool people. Next years goal, 45 min off my time.

Big Damn Hero
    Yeah that was a lot of climbing. Garmin told me 2,2xx for the 1/2 marathon. It was my first time riding out there and one thing I can tell you for certain... an Orbea Alma is NOT the right bike for that trail. More pedal strikes than I have ever had before. Plus 80mm fork is no where near enough travel.

I'm going back... but hopefully on a Rocky Mountain Element. Just need to convince the wifey I need a new bike.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast