Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post

I'm honestly kinda scared of EE, but another friend was tellign me it is on par with FCR since a lot of it is road.
    It's easy to get caught up in the excitement of the start folks go out XC race pace through warda and hit the road with adrenalin and drill it by the time they get to RHR they have burned up most of their matches and it's a death slog all the way back.

I've done good and bad at the EE in the past the last one I did I was cooked by the time I got to RHR before that time I was passing folks from the gun at warda only till I got to RHR did I notice that I was now going in reverse bad for the mental game.

Since there is so much road on the EE don't get caught up in the temptation of getting into a paceline early on that has been my downfall in the past YMMV .

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes! I was in the Tad Hughes kit. I'm really not sure when I got dropped by her. It was definitely some uphill. I yo-yoed for quite a while before she finally cut the string.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnybutts View Post
    Yes! I was in the Tad Hughes kit. I'm really not sure when I got dropped by her. It was definitely some uphill. I yo-yoed for quite a while before she finally cut the string.
    I was following y'all and it was when you take a sharp left then up a short grinder you popped off and then i can't recall if you went on ahead or I went around you on the following decent with the sandy left hand sweeper.

A lot of stuff on the second lap is a blur.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    haha! I know where you passed me up Johnny. The end of Omar's, I had to hop off for a couple seconds to get a cramp out, about 45 seconds later Sarah and you come by me along with 3 others that were trying to hang with her. I caught the last couple guys but I'm not surprised I didn't catch you or Sarah.

HAL- I agree on the parade start loop and start times. Bottle necking happened way too quickly! My buddy in the 40+(and eventual winner) saw that him and his 'train' were coming up quick and gave me a good amount of heads up. 6-8 guys flew past me...

As for EE, yea I kinda feel the same. I'll be looking at just getting A LOT of solid Zone 3 miles with plenty of recovery work in it, before then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It was my first half marathon and I really enjoyed it. Placed 14th in 19-39 and learned a lot about my pacing nearing the end. I did stop once early on to fish a c02 out of my camel back for another rider that I saw had issues with his. I felt glad knowing I stopped instead of blowing by him and I hope he finished the race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congrats Exploder!

mtbr member
    Anyone know who the jackasses were in the hotel san jose kits doing the 1/2 marathon? They came up upon our group of four somewhere in tris cross and omars howl and proceeded to yell at us for not picking up the pace and not letting them easily by so they had to leap frog past each of us yelling the entire time. karma is a ***** because we caught them on the side of the trail with flats and no c02 a little later.

They should of started the 1/2 marathon folks further back from the full marathon folks as to avoid the faster 1/2 marathon racers riding up on the full marathon folks setting a different pace.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    no clue, but I remember him doing the same to me...and then asking for air later.

I also remember him being the same jack ass that was doing the same hoop and holler at the Waco XC, and pissed off A LOT of people. Almost got DQ'd by Jens because of the complaints.

I also don't understand why someone like him(and other Cat 1 racers) were sandbaggin the half.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobiker View Post

I also don't understand why someone like him(and other Cat 1 racers) were sandbaggin the half.
    I've always looked at the 1/2 marathon as a way for newer riders and such a way to introduce themselves into longer events.

a CAT 3 racer who's only used to doing and hour event or 10 mile race is gonna have a big challenge doing 40+ miles and riding off road for 4+ hours that is why they have a 1/2 marathon for folks not ready to make the leap.

I've got no issues with other category racers doing the 1/2 marathon if that's what they want to do just don't be a jerk to those having to pace themselves for a longer event.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    One thing I like abotu the Mtb side of things, is that it's much less category oriented. Road is hyper category oriented. And marathon is the exact opposite. Open, and whatever else. Plus, there's no prize money on the line for 95% of racers.

That's the long version to me saying that I dont care who races half.

As for the start times - Go mention it to Tobin/Tmbra. I doubt they're reading this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Anyone know who the jackasses were in the hotel san jose kits doing the 1/2 marathon? They came up upon our group of four somewhere in tris cross and omars howl and proceeded to yell at us for not picking up the pace and not letting them easily by so they had to leap frog past each of us yelling the entire time. karma is a ***** because we caught them on the side of the trail with flats and no c02 a little later.

They should of started the 1/2 marathon folks further back from the full marathon folks as to avoid the faster 1/2 marathon racers riding up on the full marathon folks setting a different pace.
    Is this the kit?
    Team Hotel San Jose
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    Is this the kit?
    Team Hotel San Jose
    Yup that's the one one guy was tattooed up the other just a prick.

Hey I'm a big boy and have been racing since 97' so I've been there done done that and have been on both sides of being fast and being pissed about slower racers.

I've had guys come up and apologize when it was not needed post race and i can relate to the frustration of being behind trail clots there is a good sportsmanship way of dealing with it and then there is a way of being a c*cksucker way.

I don't need some a-hole yelling at us when there is nothing to do in tight singletrack when a place to pass opens i'll gladly let you by don't force me into a tree or ditch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Miles of DisComfort here I come! Anyone ride out there before? I am on an AM rig that weights in at 30 pounds with a 36X11-34, should I change my gearing for the race?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
    I am on an AM rig that weights in at 30 pounds with a 36X11-34, should I change my gearing for the race?
    Exactly how fun it going to be climbing 54 miles on a 30lb bike no matter what gearing?

I've taken my SS bike out there with a 34x18 and it was a hella workout for one complete upper and lower loop I can't imagine a 30lb bike doing the upper lower then upper.

oh well run what ya brung

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Don't listen to him 2000Z. You can do it! I did the half a couple years ago on a singlespeed. I simply didnt know any better at the time. I was 32x16. It hurt very bad.

If I remember correctly, most all the climbing is pretty clean. There are a few drops and such though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Exactly how fun it going to be climbing 54 miles on a 30lb bike no matter what gearing?

I've taken my SS bike out there with a 34x18 and it was a hella workout for one complete upper and lower loop I can't imagine a 30lb bike doing the upper lower then upper.

oh well run what ya brung
    very fun, I enjoy a little pain . I am going to knock out the 1/2. I did a 36 mile race out here in about 3h40min a few months about out in san angelo and had a blast.

Team Livemedium
    I was lucky enough to ride the sag car in last year. After all the $'s I've given to tmbra,
    I deserved a lift back to the start. My crank arm fell off with pedal still on shoe halfway through, and butt just couldnt take 5 more miles. Not sure about 2013 just yet. Live medium.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    im gonna register for EE right now.

mtbr member
    Santa brought this

Been out in the desert testing it...

legs and liver sore from the workout out in Lajitas this last week.

mtbr member
    i thought fat chucks was fun - although it was not a great race for me.

about 15 miles from the end i pedal-struck a log and actually broke a crank bros eggbeater. still i was able to semi-clip in on one quadrant - hard climbing was out of the question. it made the last of the ride a little interesting but i was going slow at that point anyway.

i hope to make it out to comfort.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    HAL, are you from Houston? If so, didn't you and your wife also just pick up '13 Epics in that same color?

Incredibly jealous of that new rig. It makes my carbon HT stumpy look silly.

No EE for me. Not ready for that kinda distance this time around. XC season prep has commenced!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobiker View Post
    HAL, are you from Houston? If so, didn't you and your wife also just pick up '13 Epics in that same color?
    She has a 13' S Works epic in red I've got a 11' S Works epic that I'm having the "brains" serviced by Specialized so I can eBay it in January and use the proceeds to get me a 13' S Works epic in red also so not yet but coming soon...

Big Damn Hero
    Hal, are you by chance Mr KIA on noisy hub club? I live near him and occasionally ride with Spider Patrol. I also troll NHC website. :-)

I'm still not ready for EE but will be doing the 1/2 marathon at Comfort and am also doing the 4 hour endurance at Lundsay park on Saturday.

Looking forward to both races...
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    Hal, are you by chance Mr KIA on noisy hub club?
    Yep

Big Damn Hero
    Yep
    I saw the same bike/locale photos on both sites.... and well, you know I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 4.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast