Quiet Professional

Tires for Texas hill country?

I am in the Killeen area and wondering what tires work best for Texas hill country. Currently using Kenda Nevegal. I have been thinking about Hans Damf or Trail King.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    I am in the Killeen area and wondering what tires work best for Texas hill country. Currently using Kenda Nevegal. I have been thinking about Hans Damf or Trail King.
    I have a set of Trail King 26x2.2 black chilli compound on my rig now, Nevegals before that. Here's my comparison, Nevegals are gonna offer you more grip but they don't give much rider feedback and when they slip they just washout, and they have high rolling resistance.

The trail kings have slightly less grip, SLIGHTLY, but they give much more feedback and the slip is pronounced and predictable and doesn't just washout, it's a controlled slide. Only negatives about the Conti is if they are pushed hard on hard pack they squirm and wiggle as I think the BC compound is pretty soft and flexy. I run 36f/38r psi FYI.

The Hans Dampf is next on my list as I am not completely satisfied with the Contis. Give us your impressions if you get them.
    Last edited by h20-50; 04-07-2013 at 08:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just switched from some panaracer fire xc pros (identical to nevegals) to a 26x2.20 bontrager xr4 up front and a 26x2.20 ikon out back. With this setup i'm getting MUCH better cornering up front from the xr4 and less rolling resistance from the ikon.

btw I ride in dallas and sometimes houston

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Around San Antonio the current tires many people are running are Geax Saguaro, Schwalbe Racing Ralph, or Specialized Ground Control.

Rohloff
    I live and ride around Austin. I like Panaracer Rampage.

mtbr member
    DFW here. I have had the best luck with IKONs front and back. They don't seem like they should work well on some of our loose rock trails(Sansom Park) but they do.

They are very light weight and seem like the sidewalls should tear easily but I have only torn one tire in two years and it was right in the middle of the tread.

mtbr member
    I've been using a Tioga Psycho Genius 29er on the rear lately in Austin. Very impressed. I've run Nevs, SB8, Crossmarks, some Spechy, some crappy Bontrager, several WTB varieties, probably leaving some out, and most recently the Panaracer Rampage. Especially for the price, these are my favorites right now. They are grippier and roll better than most of those. Set up tubeless no problem.

Big Damn Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by h20-50 View Post
    I have a set of Trail King 26x2.2 black chilli compound on my rig now, Nevegals before that. Here's my comparison, Nevegals are gonna offer you more grip but they don't give much rider feedback and when they slip they just washout, and they have high rolling resistance.

The trail kings have slightly less grip, SLIGHTLY, but they give much more feedback and the slip is pronounced and predictable and doesn't just washout, it's a controlled slide. Only negatives about the Conti is if they are pushed hard on hard pack they squirm and wiggle as I think the BC compound is pretty soft and flexy. I run 36f/38r psi FYI.

The Hans Dampf is next on my list as I am not completely satisfied with the Contis. Give us your impressions if you get them.
    Good grief man, there's your problem with the squirminess!! Crap I have tubes in both my race bike and my training bike and I run 29-31psi.

I have Racing Ralph Evo's on my Orbea and they are awesome. I've ridden them all over the state and they are by far my favorite tire. I used to run Geax AKAs and they were very nice with good grip and super low rolling resistance but they were quite heavy. The Ralphs are notably lighter and grip better.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Ground control front.. fast trak rear. Only negative I've encountered is sidewall rips. Rolls fast and very consistent on various terrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    This is what I ride:

http://www.austinbike.com/product-re...ck-eight-combo

Tires are a pretty personal and emotional thing in these parts for some reason. It often has more to do with the rider and the bike than with the tire itself.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com