mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Tires for DFW trails

My brother just got his Motobecane X5 and I am waiting for a Fantom Pro restock. What tires are recommended for trails here? My bike will have SB8s which I hear wash out on dry or loose stuff which doesn't sound very awesome if you live here lol. I'd like to have a good setup to handle most conditions. Im not interested in being the fastest as I am a NOOB and just want to have fun and trust my tires too. I do plan on running tubeless.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    SB8's are OK if it's not Summer, so they might not be so bad depending on the trail. If there's the slightest bit of moisture, they will stick like velcro. Where will you be riding mostly?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The closest trails to me are Rowlett Creek Preserve and Squabble Creek. I also have a friend that rides LB Houston. I have yet to ride either one , but just trying to get everything in advance so I will be prepared.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Larsin View Post
    The closest trails to me are Rowlett Creek Preserve and Squabble Creek. I also have a friend that rides LB Houston. I have yet to ride either one , but just trying to get everything in advance so I will be prepared.
    Your tires should be perfect for those trails. I wouldn't change them unless you get out there and decide they won't cut it. I used to ride SB8's on those trails. I switched to Maxxis Crossmarks, which are not really that much more aggressive, to help in the summer when it gets pretty loose. Now if you take your bike out to Northshore in Grapevine or somewhere else there's a lot of sand, I would think about changing them, but even then, the sand is only really bad in the Summer. Keeping the tire pressure as low as you can go without getting pinch flats will make a huge difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Brewrider,

Thanks much for the replies. I guess I will set them up tubeless from the start, and give them a try before judging them prematurely lol.

I appreciate your help.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    BTW, about tubeless, I pulled out my old SB8's earlier this year and tried to mount them tubeless. I just couldn't get it to work. I think it was because mine were wire bead, and had too much force pushing them to the center of the rim. I think the newer ones are folding though. I was able to set the bead in my folding crossmarks without too much trouble.

If I were you, I'd just ride with tubes at first. Get that bike out there and ride! Then on a stretch of rainy days or weeks when you can't ride, do the tubeless conversion. Converting to tubeless might take you a while. It would be a shame to be stuck working on getting a bead to set with this awesome weather we are having.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    the Small Blocks don't seem to like a tubless setup, my dad has them on his KHS and he couldn't get them to mount properly tubeless... I ran Maxxis Crossmarx on my SL at Northshore and Big Cedar no problems, but didn't like the SB's when I rode my dads bike.
    Santa Cruz Superlight RXC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Im runnin kenda slant sixes, right inbetween the sb8s and nevegals. Grip awesome and roll well. Have run wtb nanos for hardpack and maxxis ignitors with great results on looser stuff.

mtbr member
    I've been running Small Block 8's riding at Rowlett Creek Preserve. Love those tires, awesome grip and a little faster through than the Maxxis Crossmarks and much better than Nevegal's. Thinking about a set of Maxxis Monorails for my new Moto 450HT.