Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Tire width in Texas.

I've been running 2.1 and 2.2 tires for years now and because of the dirt we have here in north texas there is often a lot of slide or washout. I'm an XC rider, speed through the corners and on flats is my biggest concern.

Our trails up here are very dusty over the top of hard pack and I'm wondering if a wider tire with more bite on the cornering knobs will improve handling through those dusty sections.

If you have any experience with a wide profile, fast rolling tire please recommend it! I've been considering a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 as a starter.

I know tire choice is a personal preference, I just want some feedback from others who may have tried a wide profile tire.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You might want to think about another tire besides an Ardent. Those grip great in the middle and truly awesome when leaned waaaay over, but there is some space between the middle treads and the edge ones. You lose grip big-time when you only have to moderately lean. I'd rather go for a Specialized Purgatory or Ground Control in 2.3.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I rock a 2.4 ardent on the front of my HT (2.25 ardent in the rear) and really like the setup.

Having said that, I'm also running 2.3 spec purgatory and ground control F/R on my FS bike and like that setup just a little more than the ardents for reasons stated above.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Tire width in Texas.

Thanks for the input guys. Most everyone I know runs 2.2 or less. I'm really interested in testing this out to see what I think. I've also heard great stuff about the Panaracer's.

When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    You did not say how wide your rims are or if you are running tubeless. Lower tire pressure will usually give you a bigger contact patch, hence more cornering power. At some point lower air pressure increases rolling resistance, which means you have to work a little harder. You might have to experiment to find the sweet spot.

A big gain might be running wider rims. Typically, a modern wider rim means the tire has a better shape (more rounded) and therefore better traction with no additional resistance. I recently started working for American Classic and they gave me some demo road wheels that have a 22mm wide rim (Argents). They are amazing - I can corner and brake much better than the same tires on my old 15mm wide rims.

In that vein, American Classic has come out with a new rim called the Wide Lightening. As soon as I can afford it I'm going to ditch the Bontrager Race Lights (narrow) that came with my Intense and switch to the AC 32mm Wide Lighting. WIDE LIGHTNING|29 TUBELESS

According to the AC guys in the know, you can run a smaller tire (lighter) and get all the benefits of a big contact patch that would come from a bigger, and heavier, tire.

Joe Bob says check it out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Shawn, I live here in dfw, and I use a 2.4 Ardent on the front w flow ex's on my FS and an ardent on my cheap laserdisc wheel set on my SS. I'm tubeless weigh about 280 and run 25#'s or so on the front tire. It rolls really good and digs in nicely on turns. I run 2.1 or 2.2 tires out back. Rarely do I wash out anymore. -Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Tire width in Texas.

Thanks FullsizeMike, I definitely appreciate the suggestion. I've got a 2.25 Ardent on the way, I wanted a 2.4 but they were out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run a Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 front, Continental mountain king 2.4 ( Conti's actually runs smaller, more like 2.2 ) in the back. I prefer wider in the front and narrower in the back...I like a meaty tire for sure, but I don't race either!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I really disliked the 2.25 ardent in the front it was extremely crash prone for me. It was fine in the back because even if it broke loose it was ok.

Im running a nobby nic 2.3 up front and a ground control 2.1 in back. Its a good combo for austin. Hans dampf was awesome but heavy. The nic gives up some traction but is overall still ok.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Live in Austin and we get a coating of moondust whenever things get really dry. For loose sand over hardpack, you need a tire that has big enough knobs to punch though the top layer. I am really liking the Bontrager XR4 in the front with an Ardent in the back.

Magically Delicious
    Hey Shawn, I ride the Ardent 2.4 in the front with a Maxxis Ikon 2.25 on the rear mounted on Stans ZTR EX Arches. I ride where you ride. I've seen you a few times at River Legacy and Northshore. The 2.4 is wonderful when not too loose on hard pack. When RLP has some tack to it, this tire rails.

It also exhibits some degree of under steer when pushed hard. By that I mean it sometimes has a propensity to grab and turn deeper into the turn. At first, I found this alarming, but after some testing and trials to force it to do this, I adapted to this characteristic and now I love it. Additionally, my first ride or two, this tire felt like a truck tire on the front. All this aside, I do like the tire.

Trying to find tires that are really adapted to riding this area is definitely a 'Work in Progress'. I'm always in pursuit for the right tire for the right conditions for any given place to ride. For the MetroMess it seems for me, to be an endless trial and error endeavor.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Tire width in Texas.

I was on an ardent 2.4 with an Ignitor 2.1 in the back. It was good but the ardent was slow for Texas trails. I loved it on the damp hilly trails in AR. Now I have a conti x-king 2.4 with an Ikon 2.2 in the rear. It is better for our Dallas trails and I will see this weekend how it fares on the Womble and the LOVIT in AR.

Sent from my hammock
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Tire width in Texas.

Thank you guys for the input.

Ive picked up a few options to play with. A specialized ground control 2.3, Maxxis ardent 2.25, Geax saguaro 2.2, and Geax AKA 2.2.

Since I just built up a singlespeed and need tires on it whatever tires I don't use on the race bike will go on there.

So far I've only tried the ground control/AKA combination and haven't really been able to pin it yet. The aka is a little too loose for race preference so I'll probably try the ardent and saguaro in the rear.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnskee22 View Post

Ive picked up a few options to play with. A specialized ground control 2.3, Maxxis ardent 2.25, Geax saguaro 2.2, and Geax AKA 2.2.

So far I've only tried the ground control/AKA combination and haven't really been able to pin it yet. The aka is a little too loose for race preference so I'll probably try the ardent and saguaro in the rear.
    Regarding tires...everyone is going to have an opinion about them. Regarding the Geax AKA's...I have some personal thoughts about those.

As you know, Texas summers can be dry and dusty with little or no moisture on the trails and I picked these up as something that would hopefully provide a better ride on loose dry stuff. For that reason alone, they seem to perform as intended, but push them and you'll find they have their limits. They seem to transition to moist and damp with unenthusiastic results. When pushed in the dry, loose stuff, they demonstrate predictable drift and slide, but give them roots and rocks and the results become less desirable. Add some dampness or even slightly wet and they get unstable and can provide some adrenaline inducing moments. Personally, any application beyond the dry loose stuff exhibits unfavorable mannerisms that do not inspire confidence. On anything wet they will provoke adrenaline spikes and fear.

mtbr member

Re: Tire width in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by greenblur View Post
    Live in Austin and we get a coating of moondust whenever things get really dry. For loose sand over hardpack, you need a tire that has big enough knobs to punch though the top layer. I am really liking the Bontrager XR4 in the front with an Ardent in the back.
    Austin becomes more loose over loose than loose over hardpack
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnskee22 View Post

Since I just built up a singlespeed and need tires on it whatever tires I don't use on the race bike will go on there.

Shawn, check out Ardent Race 2.25. I just picked up a pair and am loving them both as front and rear tire for more techy XC (Big Cedar/IDB/Boulder). Very predictable like IKON but burlier side knobs for more aggressive leaning. Very good rolling resistance. And there are no noticeable gaps in tread coverage that induce knob squirm in corners.
    '14 Giant Anthem Adv 29
    '13 Giant Anthem 29
    '13 Trek Superfly 29
    '11 Trek 4300 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have been running the wtb velociraptor 2.1 tires and am thinking very hard about getting the 2.3 weirwolfs. I tried the small block 8, which got re named the suck block 8. I'm just riding Dino state park and solovaca.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    I have been running the wtb velociraptor 2.1 tires and am thinking very hard about getting the 2.3 weirwolfs. I tried the small block 8, which got re named the suck block 8. I'm just riding Dino state park and solovaca.
    What others tires do you like for Dino? Have any opinions or feedback on those?

At DVSP, I'm on an Ardent 2.4 front that I like and have thought a 2.25 for the back. I'm running an Ikon 2.2 on back now. Seem to roll easy pretty and fast, but the Ikon has it's moments when momentum deteriorates in the steeper loose stuff (18 - 20 psi tubeless). The Crossmarks on the rear have done me well too at DVSP.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have been pretty happy with the velociraptors, but they do suffer on the hard pack and not the best on rolling resistance. The small block 8 was awesome after it firmed up and dried from a good rain, but one it started to loosen back up it was like having street tires. I think I'm going to order the weirwolfs next week. I've just got to make the decision to go tubeless or not now.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    I have been pretty happy with the velociraptors, but they do suffer on the hard pack and not the best on rolling resistance. The small block 8 was awesome after it firmed up and dried from a good rain, but one it started to loosen back up it was like having street tires. I think I'm going to order the weirwolfs next week. I've just got to make the decision to go tubeless or not now.
    Jake, I can tell by the way you slant your 'R's that you must be somewhat in the local area near DVSP.

And the tubeless issue...I'm guessing that you're on tubes now? Do you have tubeless ready wheels? Having any pinch flat issues?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yeah I'm not too far from there! Nope have not had a pinch flat in a long time. I do not have tubeless ready wheels. I screwed up severely buying a new wheel set that wasn't.

Magically Delicious
    My point is that if you're not having problems with pinch flats and you're ok with the tire pressures that you're running then there might not be a significantly good reason to go tubeless. I have ridden for years with tubes just using (Wal-Mart available) slime in my tubes with no problems. My main reason for going tubeless was to run lower tire pressures. I could ride hassle-free on sealant filled tubes with no complaints if not for the pinch flat issues.

Iím on tubeless, but personally, I think for many, itís over-rated. Tubed slime never needs to be serviced and doesnít dry up. You never have to pull your tires and get all the Stanís boogers out and re-service. My wife has slime tubes on her Yeti and can run 20 Ė 23 psi without risk of pinch flats (sheís only 110 lbs.). She never gets flats and rides DVSP with regularity. Ridding at DVSP is a flat waiting to happen.

Aside from the issues outlined, you probably should be at least running sealant in your tubes. DVSP is not a good place to be stuck in the far north corner with a flat on your second tube of the day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The current tubes are not slimed, I think my last batch of tubes were bad, had them splitting down the seams. Yeah Dino and solo can really be a flat waiting to happen. I'll probably stick to tubes, especially tires being half the price...

Magically Delicious
    Jake, PM me sometime if interested in ridding DVSP sometime. I ride there with some regularity. Usually on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but occasionally a late Friday afternoon. When it really starts getting hot we will sometimes drive out there pre-dawn with themosíd hot coffee and watch the sun rise. Then and hit the trails just after sun provides a little light.

Do you night ride? I have been wanting to do a night ride there, but havenít yet. Itís a great place to night hike on a full moon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I will. Need to get back in shape bad! I need to get a new light setup, hoping for some early am riding this year to beat the heat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast