Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I tried a couple of WTB tires, Panaracer, Nevegals, some of the Maxxis tires and by far the Mountain Kings have worked out the best for me. Decently fast rolling, great grip, and very comfortable when leaned over.

mtbr member
    Rim width is definitely a big factor. On 29ers, I don't think you need to run as beefy of a tire as the contact patch is naturally larger especially on a wider rim. I just finished riding at reveille peak on some very familiar runs after swapping back to the tires I first had on my bike over a year ago but now on a wider rim. Originally ran Stans arch ex and now running Chinese carbon wider rims. Nobby nic 2.25 TLR evo pacestar front (an OEM tire) and ikon 2.2 exo rear.
    Just took off a 2.35 snakeskin Hans Dampf front and 2.35 ikon exo rear. Bike is back to being way more flickable in corners, obviously climbs easier, but suprisingly felt like it floated over some chunk easier. The flickable aspect felt great on corners downs and chunk more so than I thought it would.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Scott Genius 910 tricked out as much as I could without getting a divorce

MMS
    mtbr member
    Got a Specialized Butcher Control 2.3", and a Specialized Purgatory 2.3" 27.5 on order, making the switch to tubeless as well. Luckily the wife has me on domestic yardwork lockdown...so I'm too occupied to be too anxious about it.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

Team Livemedium
    Found your problem

Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    Dino and solo can really be a flat waiting to happen. I'll probably stick to tubes
    especially tires being half the price...

gorilla tape, stans, and regular tires work just fine

btw I run igniter front crossmark rear and feel using body english is better than any wider or knobbier tires
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I also ride D.V.S.P., but usually on weekdays. I agree that there are plenty of flatting opportunities out there which is why I prefer larger casing tires. I made the switch to ghetto tubeless (standard rims and tires using rim strips and stans) about a month ago and so far I like the results. Not sure how much of a pita it will be to have to remember to add sealant every so often?? But definitely liking the lower pressure I can run.

jakerfreese / cleared2land I drive a black toyota tacoma in case you happen to see it out there, would be cool to meet other dinoriders! I like the fact that they have put effort into adding to, naming and mapping the trails. If they would just keep the 4wheeler off the trails I met with the park ranger out there named Robert, who is heading up the improvements. He told me they are striving to minimize the 4wheelers use out on the singletrack. It is nice to have a mtb advocate at the park who also rides...

Magically Delicious
    Yeah, it's really nice to see some changes taking place at DVSP. The renaming of the trails has lead to some confusion, but I think in long run, everything will work out just fine. The new maps are a considerable improvement over the old ones, but they somehow failed to print the intersections on the new maps. However, it is planned to be corrected on the next printing. One positive with the new map shows all of the trails in the northern part of the park that were not shown on the old maps.

Robert is the Assistant Superintendent of DVSP. Fortunately, he has a deep background in mountain biking and has been very instrumental in spearheading the movement in trail revitalization there. He is very aware of the impact that the 4 wheelers are having on the singletrack. NOTE to the readers: the 4 wheelers being referred to here are Texas State Parks maintenance vehicles , NOT public use 4 wheelers which are not permitted.

Robert and I too have discussed this 4 wheeler problem and the park is working to minimize use and impact. The problem is the balance necessary for the State Park to manage and maintain the property and keep the mountain bikers happy with unspoiled singletrack. They are aware of this problem, but it might get worse before it gets better, but they are aware of the problem and making a conscious effort to minimize the impact where necessary.

The Park and Robert have begun working with DORBA in several phases to improve and expand the available trails there. In order for these change to take place, the 4 wheelers will need access on some of the singletrack to meet those goals. Additionally, there are plans in place to relocate some of the bike and hike trails away from the trails or double track (jeep road) necessary for 4 wheelers that will need to conduct maintenance.

Currently DORBA is seeking individuals that might be interested in acting as possible trail stewards to assist at DVSP should anyone be interested. Contact Cash Anglin (VP of Trails) at DORBA for more information.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The Park and Robert have begun working with DORBA in several phases to improve and expand the available trails there. In order for these change to take place, the 4 wheelers will need access on some of the singletrack to meet those goals. Additionally, there are plans in place to relocate some of the bike and hike trails away from the trails or double track (jeep road) necessary for 4 wheelers that will need to conduct maintenance.

We talked about this as well...I'm super stoked at the thought of some new trails as there is so much potential in the terrain out there! Even that new switchback that goes up to the scenic overlook built for the recent DORBA race that combines D.V.S.P.with Solavaca has added a new twist on my routine!
    I'm not a racer but love riding, especially D.V.S.P. and Cleburne S.P. Spend lots of time out there hiking, biking and kayaking. Don't know what I would do without the State Parks...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I wish where I work they would let us build some trails on the south side of the property. There could be some awesome trails build. They said absolutely no way.....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    I wish where I work they would let us build some trails on the south side of the property. There could be some awesome trails build. They said absolutely no way.....
    ?? Where do you work and who is they? Do you work for a State Park or something?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I work at a power plant that sits on about 8000 acres, bout 4000 on that south side that just has transmission right away and open land. Lots of up and down, could be a incredible area to build trails.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    We talked about this as well...I'm super stoked at the thought of some new trails as there is so much potential in the terrain out there! Even that new switchback that goes up to the scenic overlook built for the recent DORBA race that combines D.V.S.P.with Solavaca has added a new twist on my routine!
    They haven't really added any new trails yet, just some bypasses and intersection cuts to assist in the flow. It sounds like you're referring to the bypass that was recently added going up the terraced technical rock climb to the west of 'B' intersection on the Cedar Break Outer Loop Trail (formally the White Trail)? The Fossil 50 race didn't go through that part of the trail though, but that's what I'm assuming you're talking about?

Magically Delicious
    I work at a power plant that sits on about 8000 acres, bout 4000 on that south side that just has transmission right away and open land. Lots of up and down, could be a incredible area to build trails.
    You're at Comanche Peak. From the Paluxy River Overlook (Hikers Only Trail) on the NNW part of the Paluxy, you can see the plant.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yep, it's that whole south end. There are a few of us that are working on the management about it some more but no luck. The liability is one of the major concerns.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Pretty sure Robert said they added that switchback because as he said the pros couldn't make clean that rock section...I guess that doesn't mean they used that section in the race. I just assumed;-) Still would like to see some trail building out there and at Cleburne. Maybe just a pipe dream though!! I'll probably be out there Friday....

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Still would like to see some trail building out there and at Cleburne.

I don't think ANYTHING will be happening at Cleburne State Park. Administration there is currently not being very cordial to the mountain bikers and cooperation appears to be deteriorating.

BBB STYLEE
    I ran 2.4 all around but I'm moving up to a 2.7 up front.

I wanted a 2.5, but the 2.7's were on sale by quite a bit so I figured, since I'm not sure what I like, why not experience both ends of the spectrum and go from there?

This is a DH bike, so excuse the huge sizing.

Yeah, I know. DH in TX? Its fun, so I guess it works?

Anyone else run these sizes ?
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2