Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Tire for texas MTB?

Ive been researching tires but there are so many im still lost.

I usually ride flat rock ranch, rockyhill ranch, reveille and Greenway park in san antonio. I do plan for trails in north texas and east texas once every 2 months.

since san antonio are does not get much rain...a muddy grip tire is not needed. However, tread that grips for climbs and loose cornering is what im looking for... I talked to my LBS and still a little confused.

Any help is appreciated

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I use a 2.1 rear and 2.25 front Maxxis Aspen with fantastic results. Fast rolling, climbs well, turns well, conforms to roots and rocks well. The only downside is braking. It's not so hot on fast descents. Just don't slow down

mtbr member

Re: Tire for texas MTB?

Have a 2.3 Weirwolf front....2.25 nobby nic on rear. I ride every where no issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Brakes are only for when I make a wrong turn on a deer trail vs single track lol. I will have to check those tires out. I did look at maxis adrient

To many choices lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am running the Weirwolfs 2.3 on both ends and have been really happy with them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    WTB Wolverines, they can be had for cheap at Performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glarior View Post
    Brakes are only for when I make a wrong turn on a deer trail vs single track lol. I will have to check those tires out. I did look at maxis adrient

To many choices lol

I'm running Adrent 2.4 front and 2.25 rear. I'm only 3 rides in and coming off the kenda Nevegals the Adrent is a much better tire in every way. Rolls better, climbs better corners better. The Adrent 2.25 in my option is a completely different tire compared to the 2.4. So far I think the combo works pretty well for me. I love hucking off of stuff and rolling over the technical areas.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    I'm running Adrent 2.4 front and 2.25 rear. I'm only 3 rides in and coming off the kenda Nevegals the Adrent is a much better tire in every way. Rolls better, climbs better corners better. The Adrent 2.25 in my option is a completely different tire compared to the 2.4. So far I think the combo works pretty well for me. I love hucking off of stuff and rolling over the technical areas.
    I agree! Although this Weirwolf have been decent I really wanted the ardents. Thats what I had on my kona, it would just stick when id lay it over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    What's the big difference in the 2.4 and 2.25?

mtbr member
    Ha just happened to pop my head on here and saw your recent post.
    My rear 2.25 Adrent's nobs are a lot smaller compared to its 2.4 counter part, and is a much faster roller in addition to not having to have the weight penalty of the 2.4. Still with plenty of grip to put down to do the technical areas & climbs. And with the Adrent 2.4 I don't have to worry about messing up my treads when I ram that bad boy full speed in to the rough stuff to get me up and over just about anything I can find. I also have the confidence to get down our short hill sections without having to worry about the loss of traction. The 2.4 is beefy and I love it.
    Its been a few months now and I love the combo.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I bought some Specialized tires last week that I'm going to test out. Butcher control front purgatory grid rear. 27.5x2.3

mtbr member
    I run 2.4 Ardent front and rear around Austin. There is a "no man's land" with it as a front tire, if you lean a little but not enough the front feels a little vague. You can tell where it is based off the tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Im trying the ardents now. See how they do. Just gets hot around 3pm

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Tire for texas MTB?

+1 for Ardents. Best I have tried by far for places like rpr and rocky, deception, etc. they hook up like a tow truck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I like my WTB Bronsons. Some would say they are too agressive but they work well for me.

mtbr member
    My best tire for SA and nearby areas is the Specialized Ground Control Sworks edition 2.3 front 2.1 rear. Sometimes I swap to a 1.9 in rear.

The specialized Butcher is alternate front tire for faster downhill runs where sharp rocks are common.

Most people dont realize a narrow rear tire can help a lot actually, and the hardpack trails here are fine for it.

What bike and rims do you have?

I think the extra heavy duty purgatory carries too much weight for this part of texas.
    It's overkill and weighs a ton, so avoid it unless you are a heavy rider on a heavy bike on a trail with significant drops and jumps.

Ardents do well here too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Stumpjumper fsr comp ... stock wheels

mtbr member
    Rider weight? 26 27 or 29 wheels?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So far two rides on the Butcher/Purgatory combo and liking it well. The Butcher likes be leaned over so I'm trying to get more comfortable leaning the bike. The Purgatory will lean but not a much as the Butcher.

Both tires have great grip and roll well. Running 27.5x2.3 28psi front and rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    Rider weight? 26 27 or 29 wheels?
    157 with gear on 29"

mtbr member
    Since you are lighter weight you'd apreciate geting some Ground Control tires instead. Plus loose 2 pounds of un needed weight and they lean like glue at any angle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I had ground control and purgatory on thr bike. Felt great till they started losing traction. I am trying the adrents now... well when I get my brakes fixed

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My new Yeti SB95 came stock with an Ardent 2.4 up front and I had Jenson USA replace the stock rear Maxxis Icon with an Ardent 2.25. Been on this combo for a little over a month now. I like it fine for the terrain I ride at Dinosaur Valley St. Park and Cleburne St. Park with plenty of rocks / roots and loose over hardpack. Does require some adjusting in cornering with the front Ardent compared to the 2.35 Hans Dampf on my last 29er. But it is much faster rolling and still enough bite in the rough stuff.

Austin, Texas
    Perfect thread for me right now. I put a 2.4 Ardent on the front of my 29er a little while back, but kept my 2.2 Ikon on the rear. The Ikon was getting a little worn out anyway, but last night I was about to ride at Reimer's and as I was picking the bike up to put in the truck, I noticed a slight bubble on the middle of the outside tread. Decided not to chance it and took my 26er instead.

I have thought about putting a little more aggressive tire on the back, and I have liked the slightly slimmer tire set-up, so it sounds like ya'll are really liking the Ardent 2.25. Any other comments on the Ardent 2.4 front, Ardent 2.25 rear set-up? Thanks.

mtbr member
    The big knoby maxis tires do very well here in texas no doubt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Going to take yhe 2.4 adrent and 2.2 adrent to Colorado. See how they do up there

mtbr member
    Adrent's with about 400 miles on them. Still have lots of meat left and hooks up pretty well. 1st one is 2.25 & the 2nd is the 2.4. I love my combo. Tire for texas MTB?-imag0448.jpgTire for texas MTB?-imag0449.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Just put on two tubeless honeybadger pro 27.5s and handles like a dream here on austin trails

mtbr member
    If you ride the rocky trails with drops in west Texas, your bike deserve an Ardent like tire. I also like the Purgatory from specialized.

Austin, Texas
    That little bubble I spoke about earlier on my somewhat worn out back Ikon 2.2 was really a whole bunch of bubbles. Yikes. Didn't look good when I got it out in the sun.

I did indeed purchase the Maxxis Ardent 2.25 for the rear, and I am LOVING it. It seems to me it rides just as fast and smooth as the old Ikon, but with a hell of a lot more grip. I've now ridden with the 2.4 Ardent in front and 2.25 Ardent in the rear at Rocky Hill Ranch, Reimers Ranch, Muleshoe, and Pace Bend, and I could not be more pleased. What a great combination. I would recommend this combination to anyone in the Central Texas area.

mtbr member
    Has anyone tries the Maxxis Griffin yet? It looks very interesting as a fast front tire.
    My current setup is 2.35 DHF f and 2.25 Ardent r. It has great grip climbing and for most descents but the ardent feels like it folds when leaned over in fast rocky turns. My new 165mm bike comes with High Roller IIs and I'm worried about climbing and their grip on steep granite up and down. I have experience with the original style on different terrain but not climbing dry rock.
    Does anyone have experience climbing with DH tires at RPR?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What would y'all recommend for a new rider on a 26" HT? Mostly plan on walnut creek, pace bend, and easier parts of the greenbelt to start with. Not too concerned with speed, just grip and price

Monster FTW
    I'm currently running 2.3 Butcher Control Front and 2.2 The Captain Control rear. I have a 2.3 Ground Control front and 2.1 Ground Control rear hanging on the wall...I keep thinking about putting them on to save some weight, but I love the Butcher so much, I just haven't done it.
    2014 Specialized Camber Carbon Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Big ole mud tires with ice spikes in them!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerfreese View Post
    Big ole mud tires with ice spikes in them!
    hehe....yup, that's about it! Right now I'm still running my stock Maxxis Ardent 2.4 f and since slicing my Ardent 2.25 r I'm running a Specialized Ground Control 2.3 in back

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    Has anyone tries the Maxxis Griffin yet? It looks very interesting as a fast front tire.
    My current setup is 2.35 DHF f and 2.25 Ardent r. It has great grip climbing and for most descents but the ardent feels like it folds when leaned over in fast rocky turns. My new 165mm bike comes with High Roller IIs and I'm worried about climbing and their grip on steep granite up and down. I have experience with the original style on different terrain but not climbing dry rock.
    Does anyone have experience climbing with DH tires at RPR?
    The climbing w/ DH tires shouldn't be too bad if you have a smaller ring (I raced the enduro with a 38 a10:42 with no probs).

I think everything sticks to the granite.

I love DHF on the front. I rode RPR with HRII F & an Ikon rear - it worked great. Somehow the IKOn made it through RPR but got a sidewall tear back home in houston so perhaps the sidewalks on an IKoN wouldn't work out (they were EXO).
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anybody been running the newer nobby nics?
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Since that post I've been on 27.5 HR2s and finally went tubeless. I didn't think it would change riding for me in such a big way as it did. They climb very well but still aren't as fast rolling as I'd like.
    I'm ready for Maxxis to make a better Ardent 2.4 offering.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been running Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3 front & rear, ghetto tubeless, & they have been great. Very nice traction, rolls/pedals well, & the extra width is nice (I was previously running WTB Weirwolf 2.3 front & 2.24 Ardent on rear; The Weirwolf is pretty narrow).

I like the Ardent but wanted something a little bit wider & a little bit knobbier to try out on the rear for climbing. The DHF worked out very well for Cameron Park trail conditions (a little bit of everything except very chunky rock).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sliced my Specialized Ground Control 2.3 (r) at the Dino Enduro back in March on my practice run. Bikes Inc. was there and hooked me up with a Specialized The Captain 2.2. (Thx. Joel) Definitely faster rolling than the Ground Control. I would use The Captain again but more than likely I will want to try a HR II (f) Ardent (r)

mtbr member
    Get the GRID sidewall for specialized tires if you are prone to side wall tears.
    I've never torn a sidewall personally, even using the sworks 1." GC. But I have the Grid Butcher/Purg on my 2nd wheelset for times I am on lava rock type trails.
    My front Ardent 2.4 is an EXO for that reason too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i run a nobby nic in front and an ikon 2.25 in back

my bike came with 2.2 ardents which I hated in front, but they were ok in back. I rode them in the rear till they both got sidewall tears. In the front i switched to a hans dampf, then to a nobby nic. The hans dampf was great, but slow. The nic is faster but definitely not as grippy.

rode a ground control in back for awhile, which was about as grippy as the ardent, a little faster and a lot cheaper.

When I switched to the ikon it was much faster. I was riding a full 2 cogs smaller on the same trails. It isnt nearly as grippy but Im getting used to the light touch needed to clean rocky stuff without spinning out.

mtbr member
    Minion DHF front and back in the largest size that will fit your fork and triangle for the most technical stuff in Texas.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've run a Hans Dampf on the front & it was okay. I liked the volume but as almost everyone will say, it wears out too quickly for the price.

If I had a lot of rock, I'd consider a 2.5 Minion DHF on the front. Not sure about that on the back; seems like it'd be a bit much for climbing. I haven't noticed much difference between the 2.25 Ardent I had on the back & the current DHF 2.3. Both pedal really well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Another vote for Maxxis Ikons. Lightweight, EXO sidewall is tough, and stellar traction and speed.

Also tried Geax Aka (great, but scary once they touch any wet rocks) and Continential X-Kings, but the Ikons are far and way my favorites.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You should try the Slaughter on the rear. Absolutely the best tire I have had on the rear of my bike. Corners like a champ but is still very fast rolling. Pairs well with the Butcher. I think the side knobs of both are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Redaggie03 View Post
    I'm currently running 2.3 Butcher Control Front and 2.2 The Captain Control rear. I have a 2.3 Ground Control front and 2.1 Ground Control rear hanging on the wall...I keep thinking about putting them on to save some weight, but I love the Butcher so much, I just haven't done it.

mtbr member
    In preparation for a trip to Colorado last summer, I acquired a Honey Badger Pro. I put it on the back and rode around Austin once or twice. Hated it. Swapped it to the front and left for the trip without testing. I loved it up front on those sweet, smooth CO descents. It was fast and really bit hard when laying it over on the side lugs. When I got back home, it was borderline scary on BCGB in technical situations. Not one to give up on a piece of equipment, I moved it over to my single speed where it has been a great tire. That bike sees much tamer trails and matches the technical limitations of the tire, so I can appreciate the fast rolling, hard cornering performance again.

All that rambling just to say, tire choice is dependent on so many different variables.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ^^Very true sir!^^
    I just purchased a Maxxis HR II exo 2.3 that I'm going to try insead of the Spec. Captain 2.2 currently on the rear. This will accompany the Ardent 2.4 on the front. I've been undecided on which end the HRII's work best?? I prefer wider in the front so the Ardent will stay put.

I've really had no complaints with the Captain, although it does not have the same bite as the Ground Control 2.3, with the right amount of weighting on the rear wheel, it does pretty good on the loose, rocky, limestone creek bottom, soft over hard conditions of Dino Valley. Just a matter of learning the tire. I like the faster rolling aspect for sure!

I will report back as soon as it dries out enough to get on the trails again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    These are my experiences but keep in mind I was a complete beginner 2 years ago. I started by riding at Walnut and now mostly ride the tougher portions of the GB and Travis Country.

My bike came with Hans Dampfs Schwalbes F & R. They rolled poorly and hooked up decent.

I replaced those with a HRII F and a 2.4 Ardent in the rear. Great set up except they both shredded quite a bit. At this time I was mostly riding Deception. The HRII rolls very badly imo.

I tore the knobs completely off the rear Ardent but oddly it still worked quite well. I replaced that with a Purgatory 2.3. I really noticed less flotation with this tire but overall it worked very well. I might go back to this tire.

Then my front HRII had all the front knobs torn and the Purgatory was really damaged also so I mounted new XR4 F & XR3 R at the same time. These tires are light, have flotation, and roll notably better than the previous HRII/ Ardent combo but even after adjusting air pressure down notably, the front really lacks traction compared to the HRII. It really slides out a lot and I've adjusted my speed thru the turns downwards. The new but broken in XR4 doesn't hook up as well as the HRII with half the knobs torn off.

I'm not sure what to try next. I might go with the pretty good Purgatory in the rear and try the Slaughter up front. Or try something completely different.

The rear doesn't matter a whole lot from a traction standpoint, mostly just rolling resistance matters to me cause I'm not a great pedaler. The HRII stuck great up front (even though it tears apart) but it rolled really poorly and truly effected my speed in the XC sections where I tend to get dropped.

Those Michelins look to roll like crap but they look hooked up. That Geo tire looks really agro and is said to roll well. I've heard the Rock Razor from Schwalbe is a great tire around here for a rear, that might be a good choice.

I'll keep searching...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Is the HRII made from very soft compounds? I don't think I've noticed anyone writing about Maxxis knobbies tearing off like Schwalbe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast