Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Tire for texas MTB?

Ive been researching tires but there are so many im still lost.

I usually ride flat rock ranch, rockyhill ranch, reveille and Greenway park in san antonio. I do plan for trails in north texas and east texas once every 2 months.

since san antonio are does not get much rain...a muddy grip tire is not needed. However, tread that grips for climbs and loose cornering is what im looking for... I talked to my LBS and still a little confused.

Any help is appreciated

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I use a 2.1 rear and 2.25 front Maxxis Aspen with fantastic results. Fast rolling, climbs well, turns well, conforms to roots and rocks well. The only downside is braking. It's not so hot on fast descents. Just don't slow down

mtbr member

Re: Tire for texas MTB?

Have a 2.3 Weirwolf front....2.25 nobby nic on rear. I ride every where no issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Brakes are only for when I make a wrong turn on a deer trail vs single track lol. I will have to check those tires out. I did look at maxis adrient

To many choices lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I am running the Weirwolfs 2.3 on both ends and have been really happy with them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    WTB Wolverines, they can be had for cheap at Performance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glarior View Post
    Brakes are only for when I make a wrong turn on a deer trail vs single track lol. I will have to check those tires out. I did look at maxis adrient

To many choices lol

I'm running Adrent 2.4 front and 2.25 rear. I'm only 3 rides in and coming off the kenda Nevegals the Adrent is a much better tire in every way. Rolls better, climbs better corners better. The Adrent 2.25 in my option is a completely different tire compared to the 2.4. So far I think the combo works pretty well for me. I love hucking off of stuff and rolling over the technical areas.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    I'm running Adrent 2.4 front and 2.25 rear. I'm only 3 rides in and coming off the kenda Nevegals the Adrent is a much better tire in every way. Rolls better, climbs better corners better. The Adrent 2.25 in my option is a completely different tire compared to the 2.4. So far I think the combo works pretty well for me. I love hucking off of stuff and rolling over the technical areas.
    I agree! Although this Weirwolf have been decent I really wanted the ardents. Thats what I had on my kona, it would just stick when id lay it over.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    What's the big difference in the 2.4 and 2.25?

mtbr member
    Ha just happened to pop my head on here and saw your recent post.
    My rear 2.25 Adrent's nobs are a lot smaller compared to its 2.4 counter part, and is a much faster roller in addition to not having to have the weight penalty of the 2.4. Still with plenty of grip to put down to do the technical areas & climbs. And with the Adrent 2.4 I don't have to worry about messing up my treads when I ram that bad boy full speed in to the rough stuff to get me up and over just about anything I can find. I also have the confidence to get down our short hill sections without having to worry about the loss of traction. The 2.4 is beefy and I love it.
    Its been a few months now and I love the combo.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I bought some Specialized tires last week that I'm going to test out. Butcher control front purgatory grid rear. 27.5x2.3

mtbr member
    I run 2.4 Ardent front and rear around Austin. There is a "no man's land" with it as a front tire, if you lean a little but not enough the front feels a little vague. You can tell where it is based off the tread pattern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Im trying the ardents now. See how they do. Just gets hot around 3pm

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Tire for texas MTB?

+1 for Ardents. Best I have tried by far for places like rpr and rocky, deception, etc. they hook up like a tow truck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I like my WTB Bronsons. Some would say they are too agressive but they work well for me.

mtbr member
    My best tire for SA and nearby areas is the Specialized Ground Control Sworks edition 2.3 front 2.1 rear. Sometimes I swap to a 1.9 in rear.

The specialized Butcher is alternate front tire for faster downhill runs where sharp rocks are common.

Most people dont realize a narrow rear tire can help a lot actually, and the hardpack trails here are fine for it.

What bike and rims do you have?

I think the extra heavy duty purgatory carries too much weight for this part of texas.
    It's overkill and weighs a ton, so avoid it unless you are a heavy rider on a heavy bike on a trail with significant drops and jumps.

Ardents do well here too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Stumpjumper fsr comp ... stock wheels

mtbr member
    Rider weight? 26 27 or 29 wheels?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So far two rides on the Butcher/Purgatory combo and liking it well. The Butcher likes be leaned over so I'm trying to get more comfortable leaning the bike. The Purgatory will lean but not a much as the Butcher.

Both tires have great grip and roll well. Running 27.5x2.3 28psi front and rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Blazer View Post
    Rider weight? 26 27 or 29 wheels?
    157 with gear on 29"

mtbr member
    Since you are lighter weight you'd apreciate geting some Ground Control tires instead. Plus loose 2 pounds of un needed weight and they lean like glue at any angle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I had ground control and purgatory on thr bike. Felt great till they started losing traction. I am trying the adrents now... well when I get my brakes fixed

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My new Yeti SB95 came stock with an Ardent 2.4 up front and I had Jenson USA replace the stock rear Maxxis Icon with an Ardent 2.25. Been on this combo for a little over a month now. I like it fine for the terrain I ride at Dinosaur Valley St. Park and Cleburne St. Park with plenty of rocks / roots and loose over hardpack. Does require some adjusting in cornering with the front Ardent compared to the 2.35 Hans Dampf on my last 29er. But it is much faster rolling and still enough bite in the rough stuff.

Austin, Texas
    Perfect thread for me right now. I put a 2.4 Ardent on the front of my 29er a little while back, but kept my 2.2 Ikon on the rear. The Ikon was getting a little worn out anyway, but last night I was about to ride at Reimer's and as I was picking the bike up to put in the truck, I noticed a slight bubble on the middle of the outside tread. Decided not to chance it and took my 26er instead.

I have thought about putting a little more aggressive tire on the back, and I have liked the slightly slimmer tire set-up, so it sounds like ya'll are really liking the Ardent 2.25. Any other comments on the Ardent 2.4 front, Ardent 2.25 rear set-up? Thanks.

mtbr member
    The big knoby maxis tires do very well here in texas no doubt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast