mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Was There a Mountain Bike Race at McAllister Park on July 28, 2012?

Last Saturday July 28, 2012 went to ride McAllister in the evening. Once I got to the playground where the trail heads towards Thousand Oaks I started to notice many orange tags, Pink glow sticks, and many X's marking the trails. I understand at McAllister running races usually do this, but I am questioning it was a running race. I rode my usual route and noticed the trail markings kept along with me. I got next to the police station and noticed a large 10 Miles in chalk on the ground. I'm not a runner, but my wife is and it doesn't normally seem they have 10 mile trail runs out there which leads me to question the race vs ride theory.

Went out again on Tuesday to see if I could figure out the actual route, but all the orange tags and glow sticks were gone. I could only follow the chalk X's on the ground. Most were still there, but I had some trouble figuring out the actual directions the route was going. It was most confusing in the trails near Thousand Oaks and the blue/red trail near the the police station and near starcrest.

Went out again this morning to figure out more. I got the trails near Thousand Oaks down, but cant figure out the actual direction of the route for blue/red trails near police station and starcrest. I ride these pretty regularly, but have yet to find something that flows perfectly where the two are combined.

The markings took me over a few trails that I haven't ridden before, which was nice. I can usually get 20+ miles out there and even more if I incorporate Mud Creek, but the flow of these markings seemed pretty good with zero road riding.

I am just curious if anyone out there knows if it was a run or ride race. If anyone did it, maybe you can shed some light on the start/finish and directions.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    maybe just I throw together race amongst some people and or Xterra training? I surely don't remember hearing anything about it, nor do I believe any of the other Sage Cycle guys did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I recall seeing my brother in law post something about a dog run on facebook around that date, although 10 miles seems pretty far for him and his yorkie.

XC racer
    May 2005
    On a totally only semi-related note, I miss the old days of having TMBRA races in McAllister Park. It was a staple on the tour when I started racing in 1997, I think it lasted until around 2002 maybe?
    Its downfall was that each year the relationship between STORM and the city got a little rockier with more demands for using the park and more restrictions put forth. Around that time a guy named Jimmy showed up at one of the STORM meetings and said "I've got this little ranch in Comfort we could build some trails on" and the rest is history.
    I don't know how much things have changed since, but I think urban parks can make for great race venues. They're a great place to showcase mountainbiking to the public who would never go to some remote ranch to witness a race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The Chupacabra de San Antonio 5k/10k run was on July 27th. It went along the berm and down by the police station. They marked the trail with glow sticks since it was a night run and the X's were used to identify which trails not to use.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott View Post
    On a totally only semi-related note, I miss the old days of having TMBRA races in McAllister Park. It was a staple on the tour when I started racing in 1997, I think it lasted until around 2002 maybe?
    Its downfall was that each year the relationship between STORM and the city got a little rockier with more demands for using the park and more restrictions put forth. Around that time a guy named Jimmy showed up at one of the STORM meetings and said "I've got this little ranch in Comfort we could build some trails on" and the rest is history.
    You have a pretty good recollection. Im unsure if we raced at Mac as late as 2002. Im thinking 2000 may have been the last...

I raced beginner out there 1999/2000. Every time I ride there I think of those days...

I don't know how much things have changed since, but I think urban parks can make for great race venues. They're a great place to showcase mountainbiking to the public who would never go to some remote ranch to witness a race.
    That was back in they heyday of TMBRA racing. But the STORM Mac races were some of the best attended. And they introduced me to racing... and because of that I have ridden trail all across the state (and beyond), ridden trail that I would otherwise not have seen.

BTW I rode with Jimmy on Saturday. FRR is so much fun, and worth the drive past Mac....
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks JS1221!!!

I found the website and the trail maps they have listed. The glow sticks I saw make sense now seeing it was a night run.