Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Texas Winter Riding

This will be my 2nd winter in Texas, but my first riding.

What kind of cold weather mtb gear is needed?

I can get some SmartWool PhD HyFi Arm Warmers for $20. Is this a good deal and are they necessary?

Also what else would be good?

mtbr member
    where did you live before? just dress like you would up north in October. when it gets colder than that, do what all the other clueless Texans do- go outside in shorts and a t-shirt, complain about how cold it is, then go back inside.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I lived my whole life in Wisconsin.

Sucks not having anything small and warm. I got a peacoat for texas winters and like 2 pairs of jeans -.-

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Dress in layers. I don't do much MTBing, all road. If it gets below 60 I stay inside but I have rode in the 40's with leg warmers, good pair of shorts, full finger gloves, 2 long sleeve jerseys and a windbreaker jacket. For my head a skull cap helps or a helmet cover.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yea I definitely need to go out this weekend and it's supposed to be highs of 40

mtbr member
    Texans are pretty wimpy when it comes to cold weather. I lived my youth in northern IL/southern WI/ Indiana. layers is the best advice because sometimes it gets cold at night and warms significantly during the day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    When it is actually cold, such as the reported upcoming weather: the already mentioned layers, but with the inner layer being the sweat wicking thermal underwear, sock liners (also sweat wicking), and glove liners. I'm slightly warm-blooded but that underlayer with a neck warmer, long sleeve cotton shirt, and cotton jogging pants has kept me comfortable down to mid to uppers 20's (where no rain, snow, or wind).

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I don't think you will have too big of a problem coming from Wisconsin, but also depends where in Texas you live. northern area gets snow. I'm going to keep riding this winter in Houston and wear tights under pants, layered on top with a wind proof jacket, warm gloves. and a skully for the head under the helmet. and bring a back pack if I need to remove layers

mtbr member
    I've lived in Texas my whole life and hate the cold. I'd rather ride when it's 105 than 45. That being said, I've found lately that when it's cold, I've been reaching for my generic running/workout gear rather than my cycle specific stuff. I always wear a pack, so jersey pockets don't add any value, I find it easier and more comfortable to layer with less zippers and pockets, and as an added bonus it is way cheaper.

I'll usually start with my bike shorts liners and a tight fitting wicking tee. I have some running tights that were about $12 and work perfectly for riding, Then if I'm feeling modest, I'll put the baggy outers over the top of the tights. Add a long sleeve wicking tee and another pull over type jacket if it's really cold. I almost always end up shedding a layer or two mid ride. If I had deeper pockets, I'd probably try some really nice cycle specific gear, but right now this generic gear formula has been working out better than the cycle specific gear that I do have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I will generally wear shorts in the 60's. When if gets to the mid 50s i will wear tights and a long sleeve shirt. Any colder...start layering. But honestly you can mtbike in the 20s or colder if you layer properly and it is just as fun. just dress smartly.

mtbr member
    shorts down to the low 40's and a few more layers up top and you will be fine. When it really gets fun is when it gets down to the teens and your sweat freezes to your skin!
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member
    May 2013
    trying not to carry a backpack and doff clothing. I've done the underlayer, fleece, and lightweight windbreaker when it was around 42. Was fairly comfortable, slightly on the hot side but the inside of my jacket was wet from condensation. Did Jack Brooks this weekend upper 40's maybe 50, with performance shortsleeve T, a lighter slightly loose fitting longsleeve shirt, and fleece. Got a bit hot winding through the curves, but it felt great on straightaways when I could get some speed and airflow. I eventually lowered the zipper to cool down as I rode.

I've stuck to some moderately thick tights and my legs have been great. Not sure what I want to try when it hits 40. Definitely not sure how to configure if it's under 40 as I may hit up Austin during Christmas week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Did anybody else ride this past weekend?

I rode on Sunday morning with temps at 34 degrees. I wore wicking underlayer long sleeve, riding jersey and fleece pullover up top. Riding tights and regular riding shorts down below. Skull cap, finger length gloves and thin wool socks. I was perfectly warm the whole ride after the first couple of miles. Lungs burned a bit, but was great.

mtbr member

Texas Winter Riding

Heck yeah! Winter's the best time to ride in TX. The simple additions, to your warm weather kit, of a base layer shirt, arm warmers, leg or knee warmers, a skull cap or cycling cap that fits under your helmet, and warm socks and gloves will cover 90% of your winter time needs. Add a breathable windbreaker, and baggy shorts to go over your Lycra for more coverage. Unzip, pull down, etc as needed.

mtbr member
    Dress in layers...for me as long as I keep my feet, hands and face warm I am good..take a extra shirt or whatever to change into after you ride to get rid of the wet clothing from sweat..I usually can keep the extra stuff in my hydration pack or back pack when I am off road...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Damn, havent looked on here in a while.

Thanks for all the replies

mtbr member
    I have a couple soft shell jackets I use for winter riding. A light weight North Face I use most of the time that keeps me warm enough down to the mid 40's. And a heavy weight Marmot i'll use for mid 40's and below. I have a pair of powerstretch pants I use when it's below 50. Wool socks and toe covers for my feet. Powerstretch gloves for temps below 50. And of course bike shorts and a wicking tee shirt as a base layer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gedemer View Post

Also what else would be good?
    layers...layers...layers

you can do the po' cyclists kit and visit an Academy store and get a long sleeve mock neck under layer wear two jerseys get a pair of lined running tights and wear over your bike shorts and I wore leather work gloves and doubled up on cycling socks and wore a stocking cap under my helmet.

that was my 1st winter riding kit in 96'

now it's a craft underlayer long sleeve cycling jersey with either a lined cycling vest or jacket depending on how cold it's cycling lined bib knickers or lined bib tights, lined and windproof cycling gloves and either wool socks or neoprene shoe covers a lined cycling cap that goes over your ears or balaclava.

however i'll hardly ever wear all that I don't ride when it's below 50 degrees because I don't like feeling like "Randy" from A Christmas Story while riding my bike.

Name:  snowsuit.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  56.6 KB

mtbr member
    First winter season here as well. Haven't got the trails below 45° yet. But wool high top socks, dickie shorts, vans, and a compression shirt then cotton shirt. I stay warm enough and not even cold after 15 mins.

Houston here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by infes7 View Post
    First winter season here as well. Haven't got the trails below 45 yet. But wool high top socks, dickie shorts, vans, and a compression shirt then cotton shirt. I stay warm enough and not even cold after 15 mins.

Houston here.

Dickies shorts and Vans? Seriously? You sound like a California transplant. I did a road ride yesterday, upper 50's and was barely chilled with Academy long sleeve compression shirt. I might have to try the cotton T as my insulation layer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I loved the responses! I didn't know Texas has winters I thought they only had football season! I lived in Texas and played high school football in the part of Texas that most Texans don't like to claim as part of the state of Texas. It is a part of Texas that is closer to Los Angeles than Austin or Dallas. I think you most likely could wear shorts and a sweatshirt! I wish it was warm here, but yesterday felt like a spring day compared to the recent 20s to 30s degrees temp.

mtbr member

Re: Texas Winter Riding

Quote Originally Posted by bhlass View Post
    Dickies shorts and Vans? Seriously? You sound like a California transplant. I did a road ride yesterday, upper 50's and was barely chilled with Academy long sleeve compression shirt. I might have to try the cotton T as my insulation layer.
    Haha no sir, born and bred a Texan :-D

Quote Originally Posted by CDSV900Rider98 View Post
    I loved the responses! I didn't know Texas has winters I thought they only had football season! I lived in Texas and played high school football in the part of Texas that most Texans don't like to claim as part of the state of Texas. It is a part of Texas that is closer to Los Angeles than Austin or Dallas. I think you most likely could wear shorts and a sweatshirt! I wish it was warm here, but yesterday felt like a spring day compared to the recent 20s to 30s degrees temp.
    In Houston, we barely have this so called "winter". I ride in what I'm comfortable in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Studded tires. Just sayin'.

A nice wool neck gator can be nice. You can pull it up over your ears if needed or cover your face if it gets really cold.
    Texas based trail builders: www.sstrails.com

mtbr member
    It's 65° I'm going riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have Gore jacket, pants, gloves and base layer long sleeve top. Feet get wool socks and Shimano winter MTB shoes. If it gets below 45 I will put on a skull cap. After a mile or two I am plenty warm for a long ride. Staying hydrated helps you stay warm from what I understand.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast