mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Tapatillo springs!

Me and a couple buddies went out to Tapatillo springs resort in boerne to ride today. The trail was top notch! I can't believe that I havent heard more about this trail on the forum. Good climbing, fun downhills, and a lot of technical riding. Unfortunately it got dark on us so we didn't get to ride the last few miles of trail, but I can't wait to go back!

mtbr member
    Yep, Tapatio is one of the good ones.

Did you stop at the front desk?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I didn't stop at the front desk because we were racing the sunset, but I called ahead.

mtbr member
    thanks, just trying to confirm that they have discontinued their fee. I suppose calling them would be the most effective way :P
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thats correct, they do not charge anymore. I can't wait to head back out there this weekend.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I was hoping to have my bike built by this weekend but some parts look like they got lost in the mail. I'll have to join you guys out there one day.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Whatcha building? let me know when youre done with it and we can head out there. It will probably be my new sunday trail.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    Whatcha building? let me know when youre done with it and we can head out there. It will probably be my new sunday trail.
    I bought a 2012 Transition Bandit 29 frame and Fox fork on a vacation trip to Colorado this past summer. This may be the bike to replace my Stumpy. I've been slowly accumulating parts and am ready to build. The parts I thought were lost finally came in the mail today. I will post some pics soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Replacing the stumpy?? If you decide to sell it let me know! I may have a buyer for you

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    Replacing the stumpy?? If you decide to sell it let me know! I may have a buyer for you
    Maybe...we will see how the Bandit 29 rides. From the reviews it seems like the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    I love Tapatio.....rocks ..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I live well north but Tapatio is on my short list to check out!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    After everything that I've read about this trail, me and a buddy were planning a trip there this Monday. My buddy called the resort to make sure it was OK, only to find out that "they don't police the trail but it is on private property and intended for guest of the hotel" So I guess we'll go somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lpeque View Post
    After everything that I've read about this trail, me and a buddy were planning a trip there this Monday. My buddy called the resort to make sure it was OK, only to find out that "they don't police the trail but it is on private property and intended for guest of the hotel" So I guess we'll go somewhere else.

I don't think it really matters. Last time I went into the main office to get the trail map and they didn't seem to have a problem with me going there just to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Alright then utsamtber, I'll try that, worse can happen is for them to say no. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Better to ask forgiveness than permission;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I honestly don't think they mind at all. Just walk in and ask for a map and then go ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I went on a weekday a couple of weeks back and the lady at the front desk seemed more than happy to have someone walk through the doors. I told her I was out of town and she was very friendly and definitely didn't make it seem that the trails were just for hotel guests. Great people and a great trail! Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpeque View Post

I have never had a problem with using their trail. In fact last time I was out there I had a hotel rep come up to me and ask about the trail. He said he has seen a lot of riders using the trail and wanted to know what it was like.

If your free on a weekday I can show you around out there sometime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well guys, we finally went there today. My buddy and I took the day to explore as much as we could the SA trails, we only hit two. First we went to Tapatio Springs, we had a great time, even though we got lost on the trail for a little bit. The trail definitely was fun, very different than what we got down in Laredo. We checked in at the counter as you guys suggested and sure enough, the lady gave us a map and we were on our way. No problems at all. After we did little over half of the trail (we got lost, remember?) we decided to cut it short and drive down to Government Canyon park.

The lady at the visitors center suggested we stayed at the Front Country part, being the easier part... but NOOO! What does she knows about my riding skills and my cardio (or lack thereof) fitness?! First time there, let's go to the Back Country and go up Twin Oaks and come down thru Sendero Balcones, very HUMBLING experience! (at least for us)

One thing is for sure, gotta get in better shape for next time. Not used to it at all! But we had a blast!

Thanks to everyone that replied.