mtbr member
    Aug 2006

State wide trail maps for google earth

I am starting to map out San Angelo state park. I will be making a shape file that can be loaded into google earth for anyone to use and see where the trails are. It will take time as I have to ride all of the trails, , about 60 miles. I want to have a massive file for all of use to use.

I am using the app my tracks from google for this. If you want to help out thank you. Right now I am looking for a place to load the file for all to use.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Are you planning on providing it for free to everyone?
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    Are you planning on providing it for free to everyone?
    yes I am. If people make "maps" of other trails also, that would rock!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    As long as you are not planning on trying to make money off of it maybe someone at the Austinbike.com world headquarters could help out in some way.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    As you get going on this, please describe exactly how the process works.

I would be happy to map the local trails around here (Possum Kingdom lake, PK state park, Mineral Wells state park...) and add them to the file. Can't guarantee it would be the fastest mapping effort, but I'd totally be willing to do it.

I'd love there to be a comprehensive set of maps for trails in Texas. There are bits and pieces out there, but no one place to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great idea. What "My Tracks" app exactly are you using? I can start mapping the trails I hit around here & share them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
    I am starting to map out San Angelo state park. I will be making a shape file that can be loaded into google earth for anyone to use and see where the trails are. It will take time as I have to ride all of the trails, , about 60 miles. I want to have a massive file for all of use to use.

I am using the app my tracks from google for this. If you want to help out thank you. Right now I am looking for a place to load the file for all to use.

-Chris

mtbr member
    I like where this is going
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Pirate View Post

I'd love there to be a comprehensive set of maps for trails in Texas. There are bits and pieces out there, but no one place to go.
    hmm, are you sure?
    Pedigre

Nicholas
    Jan 2013
    I've been playing around in Ohio with some mapping, I've taken some of my tracks, and added then into Open Street Maps. I've just started to also add some if the tails into Google Maps but their interface is harder than for OSM. Good luck with your project.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Nicholas
    Jan 2013
    FYI: I would like to suggest a few additional outlets for your efforts.

I just got a map published on Google maps using Map Maker. Took about 5 days for the edit to be "approved"

If you've already got the trails sorted out, you can also upload them to OpenStreetMap.org. Once on OSM, the trails can then be viewed online, smart phones, and even Garmins. And, there are layers on OSM, that are specific to showing tracks that have been designated as allowing bicycles called Open Cycle Map.

I've typed up my method here https://sites.google.com/site/mtbmapping/

There is also a related thread to your efforts here

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Still working on San Angelo state park. I am only doing the bike friendly trails. Do you want me to lable the trails with their name or just the overlay on google earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre View Post
    I like where this is going
    I got your PM. Thank you! I will send the file once I am done and the size shouldn't be all that large.

Chris