mtbr member
    Feb 2011

So...uh, Where is it dry in Texas right now ?

and how far do I have to drive from San Antonio to be able to ride this weekend ?
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend !

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    El Paso. It's raining right now but it'll be dry again in 20minutes. Nice and cool 63degrees too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If I could fly over I probably would, it's a bit of a drive though

mtbr member
    May 2011
    RPR is open tomorrow. Closed til noon Sunday for xc race.

Wrench
    I'm in Austin. A buddy of mine and I are doing the 100km race out at RPR in a week and was wanting to get a pre-ride in.

I was told this morning that the trails would be shut down. Bummed, we headed for Muleshoe and got 18 miles in.

Then I see on their Facebook page that it's open and everything's perfect for riding.

I knew I should have trusted my weather instinct.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    I'm in Austin. A buddy of mine and I are doing the 100km race out at RPR in a week and was wanting to get a pre-ride in.

I was told this morning that the trails would be shut down. Bummed, we headed for Muleshoe and got 18 miles in.

Then I see on their Facebook page that it's open and everything's perfect for riding.

I knew I should have trusted my weather instinct.
    who said it would be shut down? it takes a massive amount of rain for that place to not be good to go the next day...

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by weaverwins View Post
    who said it would be shut down? it takes a massive amount of rain for that place to not be good to go the next day...
    I called them this morning when we still had patches of rain around Austin. I spoke with the owner, who advised against it. However later on in the day, the storm didn't come through as expected and the trails were fine to ride.

The race this weekend will have good conditions, to be sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    I called them this morning when we still had patches of rain around Austin. I spoke with the owner, who advised against it. However later on in the day, the storm didn't come through as expected and the trails were fine to ride.

The race this weekend will have good conditions, to be sure.
    ah. yea and im guessing a decent amount of people will be riding it sat/sun this weekend since most everything else is no go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I took your advice and I went to RPR today.

It was my first time and I was VERY impressed.

I was going to ride the intermediate trails ( since that is my max skill level ) but I was told that they would be messy and sloppy ( since some are jeep trails ). The race coordinator suggested I ride the race course instead even though it's a bit more than intermediate. She suggested I walk the stuff I felt was over my head, so I did.

Lordy what an amazing course I can see why people rave about this place. I had to walk a good deal of the race course but I enjoyed it anyway.

I want to go back and ride the intermediate stuff next time.

So Thanks for the Tip !

The bad weather turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Palo Duro canyon is pretty dry right now

mtbr member
    Double lake is in great shape! Rode the new section last weekend and had a blast!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    "I was going to ride the intermediate trails ( since that is my max skill level ) but I was told that they would be messy and sloppy ( since some are jeep trails ). The race coordinator suggested I ride the race course instead even though it's a bit more than intermediate. She suggested I walk the stuff I felt was over my head, so I did."

Is the race course the Super D trail? What did the sections you had to walk consist of? Trails I ride are intermediate but I have no idea how they compare to inteermediate trails elsewhere...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    Is the race course the Super D trail? What did the sections you had to walk consist of? Trails I ride are intermediate but I have no idea how they compare to inteermediate trails elsewhere...
    part of the super d is the race loop.

these trails have been referred to as "relentlessly intermediate" by Chardog and some others and theyre right. Nothing wrong with a good challenge though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Are SA trails dry?

It's been a few days and was hoping to ride Saturday AM (Salado creek mainly) but don't want to ride if I'll be rutting up the trails. Anyone been out and checked out whether the trails are dry enough to ride on?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm going to take a look at some of the dirt trails around McAllister in about an hour. We'll see how it looks. I don't want to tear anything up, either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    "I was going to ride the intermediate trails ( since that is my max skill level ) but I was told that they would be messy and sloppy ( since some are jeep trails ). The race coordinator suggested I ride the race course instead even though it's a bit more than intermediate. She suggested I walk the stuff I felt was over my head, so I did."

The race course and the Super D course are 2 different courses although they do share one section in common.

According to the map their are 4 levels of difficulty at RPR:

Easy
    Intermediate
    Difficult
    Very Difficult

The race course ( the one I road ) is shown as being difficult ( marked in red on the map )
    The Super D course is labelled as being Very Difficult ( marked in black on the map )

The trails I intended to ride ( but didn't ) are shown as being intermediate ( marked blue on the map ) I plan to ride those next time I go.

The sections I had to walk were mostly climbing sections of the trail strewn with medium size granite rocks in the middle of the narrow singletrack. The rocks would break up my cadence and momentum so much that it was easier for me to walk it than ride it.

If you decide to ride the Race course ( Red trail ) make sure you bring your lungs and are ready to do some climbing

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Most of McAllister was very nice but there were some spots of mud - some of it very wet. I turned around a couple of spots.

I need to take some pruning shears next ride. I didn't get my right foot unclipped quickly enough and fell into one of those thorny bushes. It has to go!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Dry here!