Gotta pay to play

Short term move to Austin. Have a few questions about Walnut Creek

Howdy all.

I'm relocating my family to Austin for 1-2 months to work on a project. Trying to get there by Aug 17th. Bringing my wife, 22 month old toddler, and my bike.

I'm going to be working a mile or so north (on N Lamar) of Walnut Creek Park. I am trying to find corporate housing near the park and the office so I can get a quick ride in before work.

The Broker has sent me a couple housing options that look promising.

One is on Dessau rd. It looks like I could access Walnut Creek south from this point but it is hard to tell from google maps. Has anyone ridden from here? If I can't get to the main park from that point I think the location would be too far away from the "main" entrance to the park.

The other location the broker sent me was on Tech Ridge Blvd.

It looks like only a 10 minute street ride west to get to the park. Unfortunately, this property doesn't have a garage so it might be a pain to store the bike.

I've found a few properties on Metric that look like they might have the easiest access to the park. I've contacted the leasing company but business must be good- cause they haven't called me back.

Any opinions about the locations? If you know I'll have access from the Dessau Rd. point I linked than I will probably just book it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Can't say whether you can get there from any of those points. You might want to check here:

Austin VooDoo

There are definitely people that ride into the park from the southwest, just don't know about the southeast.

Drop me a line when you get here, I can show you some of the trails. There is a tuesday night ride at WC every week called the R&I. That is the best way to meet a lot of people quickly. Mostly an excuse for drinking beer with some biking thrown in.

My site has lots of info for biking in austin.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Gotta pay to play
    Thanks for the reply. I've used your site a bunch already. I'll try asking my question on the forum you posted and I'll let you know when I am in town.

Edit: Just registered on the forums but I don't have permissions to post or reply... kinda weird. Maybe it will straighten out after a day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    let me know if you don't get an answer soon, I can ping the admin.

Gotta pay to play
    Dang you are very nice. I can't even PM a mod to ask for permissions. I have the same username as on mtbr. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    of those 3 locations, the best access to Walnut Creek is definitely any house/apartment you can find off Metric. pretty easy to get to the backside of the park from Metric through the neighborhood.

the other ones..... not so much if you plan to bike over there. theres no great way to cross 35 really other than on one of the big roads.

Gotta pay to play
    Thanks for the reply Sooner518. So there isn't a trail by the creek that goes under the 35?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Thanks for the reply Sooner518. So there isn't a trail by the creek that goes under the 35?
    i havent checked it out specifically, but I dont think so

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Move as close to WC as you can. Any so called cycling infrastructure in Austin beside the runners trail downtown is tourist hype. The greenbelt along Barton creek is for Texans and dog walkers. There's no access along the dried up Walnut creek under 35. Stay north of Braker and south of Howard if you choose to stay along Metric.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup View Post
    Any so called cycling infrastructure in Austin beside the runners trail downtown is tourist hype.
    That is a load.

This city has great cycling infrastructure. I bike commute from Stassney and Manchaca to Great Hills and 360 and I don't ever have to get on a main road. I can make about 1/3 of the trip offroad and the rest on dedicated bike paths. And, what ever it may lack in infrastructure is made up by awareness.

I used to live off Jollyville Rd. and I would ride all the way to Walnut Creek. There is a route that is mostly trails and neighborhoods. The Research Bicycle Sport Shop does the essentially the same ride Thursday nights.

Gotta pay to play
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm going to be staying on the corner of Jollyville and Duval. Will get there Aug 20th. Probably the worse time of the year to be in Austin but I don't mind waking up really early to get some sweet riding in before work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hit me up when you get here. I have an extra slot on my bike rack and can take you to some of the better trails.

Gotta pay to play
    Will do! Thank you for your help. Post ride, frosty, adult beverages will be on me.