Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pebblehoppertj View Post
    I took video of purgatory... It's a good place to learn how to pick lines.
    I wanta see your video.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    How can anyone enjoy dealing with that rocky mess?

where's the topsoil? Does the local mindset really consider smooth trails are all "tame"?

Is this some kinda compensation issue? I honestly don't understand, not being cycnical at all cuz

That so called trail looks like hella crap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup View Post

where's the topsoil? Does the local mindset really consider smooth trails are all "tame"?

Is this some kinda compensation issue? I honestly don't understand, not being cycnical at all cuz

Ya and apparently if you dont enjoy rocks your automatically slow......

sent from my galaxy tab 2

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    I hated it at first. Now I find myself bored to death on trails without rocks. It's weird cause I suck at riding rock gardens. The green belt has some WAY rockier places than purgatory from what I have experienced the last few days.
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

blurr
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalitup View Post

Really?
    Soooo negative...
    We ride what's there... its a decent mix. Cuz. I didn't write that smooth was tame. I pointed out that not all of the rocky sections were terrible. Some are tamer than others.
    Look up "cycnical" (or did you mean cynical?) and get back to me.
    Don't like the trail then don't ride it. Someone mentioned liking that people were posting pictures, so this thread met their needs. So while some of us use this forum to discuss things and share info, you badmouth a trail your not interested in (fine, in the interest of different opinions being heard) and then attack the local mindset... compensation? Hell, maybe we should just groom the whole damned forest to compensate for an inability to pick a line.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    There are no bad trails, every trail has its place.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    There are no bad trails, every trail has its place.
    Yes! And if you don't like the trail, move along and ride somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bf1101 View Post
    Really?
    Soooo negative...
    We ride what's there... its a decent mix. Cuz. I didn't write that smooth was tame. I pointed out that not all of the rocky sections were terrible. Some are tamer than others.
    Look up "cycnical" (or did you mean cynical?) and get back to me.
    Don't like the trail then don't ride it. Someone mentioned liking that people were posting pictures, so this thread met their needs. So while some of us use this forum to discuss things and share info, you badmouth a trail your not interested in (fine, in the interest of different opinions being heard) and then attack the local mindset... compensation? Hell, maybe we should just groom the whole damned forest to compensate for an inability to pick a line.

Quote Originally Posted by hillcountryav View Post
    Yes! And if you don't like the trail, move along and ride somewhere else.
    Ya we do but then, i have guys like you saying it might be the rider......sorry we dont love your beloved lame trail.

mtbr member
    Embrace the hate, hater.

mtbr member
    Embrace the hate, hater.
    I bet you wear tights right?

mtbr member
    With a big S on them!!!

mtbr member
    ETH, no hard feelings. I actually haven't ridden a mountain bike since september I broke the ball in my humorous in several places. The funny thing here is it happened at your favorite trail in San Marcos I still like it there, although Madrone is my home trail.

mtbr member
    ETH, no hard feelings. I actually haven't ridden a mountain bike since september I broke the ball in my humorous in several places. The funny thing here is it happened at your favorite trail in San Marcos I still like it there, although Madrone is my home trail.
    Im glad we can agree to disagree hahaha!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    BTW I've taken up road riding while MTBing is out at least for a couple more months. I would never put on skinnys to mountain bike in, but it does seem like the correct attire for the road.

mtbr member
    BTW I've taken up road riding while MTBing is out at least for a couple more months. I would never put on skinnys to mountain bike in, but it does seem like the correct attire for the road.
    Id stuff a sock in

mtbr member
    Who says I need to? No really who said that...

mtbr member
    Who says I need to? No really who said that...
    Doesnt matter still should!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    Doesnt matter still should!

Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    Id stuff a sock in

these might be a good idea too

Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Does not matter if you have a $10 used bike or a $10,000 top-o-do-line bike lol. I say Ride the crap out of it till it dies then buy another. Does not matter if its on a flat trail or rocks of hell. Its whats makes life worth living huh?

Big Damn Hero
    I recently road Camp Eagle in Rock Springs for the TMBRA marathon race, it is definitely the most chunky place I've ridden at. My hardtail 29er Orbea with it's short travel and 72 degree head tube angle got me through the trails... but certainly wasn't the right tool for the job!

That being said, I had an absolute blast on those trails. I'm not sure how chunky they are compared to the trails highlighted here, but I do want to get out to central TX to ride some more. I'm doing the Comfort marathon race in a couple of weeks just so that I can get some more central TX riding in!

Here around Houston we have the tech stuff, but a completely different kind. The root systems out here can be pretty challenging at speed especially when you're racing with 20-30 of your closest friends. Generally though, it feels like central TX does require greater tech skills from what I've seen.

Back to the bikes though, what sort of bikes are you guys riding out there on those super chunky trails? 29er? How much travel? I'm trying to convince my wife that I need a full suspension bike and I'm thinking about a 120-140mm of travel. Any thoughts on what the 'right' type of bike for central TX riding is?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    Does not matter if you have a $10 used bike or a $10,000 top-o-do-line bike lol. I say Ride the crap out of it till it dies then buy another. Does not matter if its on a flat trail or rocks of hell. Its whats makes life worth living huh?
    Ive got other things that my money goes to. So id like to keep mine in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    I recently road Camp Eagle in Rock Springs for the TMBRA marathon race, it is definitely the most chunky place I've ridden at. My hardtail 29er Orbea with it's short travel and 72 degree head tube angle got me through the trails... but certainly wasn't the right tool for the job!

That being said, I had an absolute blast on those trails. I'm not sure how chunky they are compared to the trails highlighted here, but I do want to get out to central TX to ride some more. I'm doing the Comfort marathon race in a couple of weeks just so that I can get some more central TX riding in!

Here around Houston we have the tech stuff, but a completely different kind. The root systems out here can be pretty challenging at speed especially when you're racing with 20-30 of your closest friends. Generally though, it feels like central TX does require greater tech skills from what I've seen.

Back to the bikes though, what sort of bikes are you guys riding out there on those super chunky trails? 29er? How much travel? I'm trying to convince my wife that I need a full suspension bike and I'm thinking about a 120-140mm of travel. Any thoughts on what the 'right' type of bike for central TX riding is?
    I ride a 2011 kona cadabra 26er it is 150 in the front and i think 140 in the rear.

Its overkill for centex, but i wanted a bike to take to whistler, moab, and angel fire.

I would recommend a kona hei hei for centex, thats if you like 29ers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The "right" bike is highly subjective. There are people that swear by 29ers, others that swear by 26 inch wheels.

I ride a 26" with 5.5" of travel and that is the sweet spot - for me. The 29er folks seem to be happy only when the rest of the world is on their platform. The reality is that 26ers are fine for 99.9% of the trail here. The decision to go to a 29 for me would be when I am done passing components on to the next bike. My current SC Blur LT2 was bought as a frame only. All of the parts transferred over from my old bike(s). As a matter of fact, my crankset is still from my 2004 hammerhead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    And... the best bike is the one that fits you best. Ride them on the trails before committing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3