Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

San Antonio trail maintenance

Happy new year everyone!
    I was wondering how we could get a trail maintenance day set up. A lot of the trails have branches hanging infront of the rider, a lot of dirt is washed out. I think it would be cool to organize a few hours where we can go trim the bushes and trees and rework some of the washed out areas. We can really improve our trail system I think. What do you guy think? I'm talking about the Leon creek trails primarily.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'm down. Just need some notice so I don't fill my day with other stuff to do.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    we have a new feature at op!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails San Antonio trail maintenance-snapshot.jpg  

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    we have a new feature at op!
    Where is that?

I wouldn't mind marking the trails a little better with spray paint.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Op schnabel - YouTube

a video from yesterday

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Looks good! I was talking with a few of you while the ramp was being constructed. I had the Roscoe. I was hoping to ride it last night but had some things get in the way.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I need to get my old bones acclimated to this cold weather. I was at Gotta Ride Bikes in Boerne today and it started snowing. Been a while since I've seen big snow flakes in/around the SA area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah, but the flurries dont stick to well. At least over by the airport today. On the plus, colder weather allows us to flow through the clay mud a little easier. Or at least that is what I tell myself.

I know there is the one ramp on the Parkwood runs. Are there plans for further ones?

SLR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I need to get my old bones acclimated to this cold weather.
    This :yes nod:
    Post the times/place and I'll try to make it…..

Meh

I wouldn't mind marking the trails a little better with spray paint.

I hope your kidding..

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by special k View Post
    I hope your kidding..
    Not unless you want to make me some pretty signs I could screw into the trees.

Meh
    Not unless you want to make me some pretty signs I could screw into the trees.
    Go for it...don't stop at OP though you can do Gov. Canyon, Salado , Mac, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by macross87 View Post
    Yeah, but the flurries dont stick to well. At least over by the airport today. On the plus, colder weather allows us to flow through the clay mud a little easier. Or at least that is what I tell myself.

I know there is the one ramp on the Parkwood runs. Are there plans for further ones?
    Im planning to wait a couple weeks to see if that wooden ramp stays or gets taken down by someone. I would like to continue to build up from that all the way to the top of the fire road. Have a couple more drops and maybe jump or two. It has nice flow with the two rock drops and that wood drop now.

Meh
    A couple of my buds built some of those dirt jumps further up the trail (beginning of your video)going up towards the subdivision years back. It was a nice line. Some other guys decided it would be a good idea to use a chain saw to "help" them out and the residents up there called the Park Police. The popo told them that hillside is part of the HOA property of Parkwood and just told them to stop building/cutting there and left it at that. Thats why some of those dirt mounds are grown over nowadays.

That ramp looks cool, I'm glad you guys haven't made any changes to the rock drop right before the ladder. If you do any other work further up just be discrete and good luck, fwiw.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A couple of my buds built some of those dirt jumps further up the trail (beginning of your video)going up towards the subdivision years back. It was a nice line. Some other guys decided it would be a good idea to use a chain saw to "help" them out and the residents up there called the Park Police. The popo told them that hillside is part of the HOA property of Parkwood and just told them to stop building/cutting there and left it at that. Thats why some of those dirt mounds are grown over nowadays.

That ramp looks cool, I'm glad you guys haven't made any changes to the rock drop right before the ladder. If you do any other work further up just be discrete and good luck, fwiw.
    Yea we def saw some remnants of a couple of berms and beginnings of drops. The rock drops will stay as they are. I really hope no one messes with the wood. As far as future building, everything will be done with manual tools so it should be fine! Do you still ride out here?

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Yea we def saw some remnants of a couple of berms and beginnings of drops. The rock drops will stay as they are. I really hope no one messes with the wood. As far as future building, everything will be done with manual tools so it should be fine! Do you still ride out here?
    A couple of hand-held wood saws and cordless drills (or just good ole fashioned hammer and nails) will do the trick.

There are still so many trails I haven't explored. I need to take some of my GPS routes and have them uploaded so others can follow my tracks.

I learned a few new trails when I rode with the guys on Christmas Eve.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Go for it...don't stop at OP though you can do Gov. Canyon, Salado , Mac, etc.
    Gov't Canyon has a map, Mac is already marked and I don't ride Salado enough to know it very well. LC is my favorite place to ride.

Meh
    Do you still ride out here?
    Yup..Haven't ridden that area since you guys added the ladder though. Mainly ride Salado locally.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    anybody riding leon creek greenway on sunday?

SLR
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    anybody riding leon creek greenway on sunday?
    Rene, I'm thinking about it since the weather might reach low 60s. Last time out was X-Mas eve…will probably head out around 1100 when it warms up a bit.
    Paul

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tomorrow we are going to end up making the trip to reveille peak ranch! Today at 3 we will be at op riding a new line!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Had to be responsible and work today.

Gonna ride for sure during the week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sounds good.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Anyone riding tomorrow. Looks like it's gonna turn to crap Tuesday and Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I saw yesterday that some have dropped chalk (or baby powder) to make some trails stand out. I was thinking this morning while at work about perhaps some signs on the trees would help. I have wooden pallets on hand which are good scrap to make some directional signs. Perhaps we could even adopt some of the signage similar to ski slopes (green circles, blue squares, black diamonds). Any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast