• 01-01-2013
    utsamtber
    San Antonio trail maintenance
    Happy new year everyone!
    I was wondering how we could get a trail maintenance day set up. A lot of the trails have branches hanging infront of the rider, a lot of dirt is washed out. I think it would be cool to organize a few hours where we can go trim the bushes and trees and rework some of the washed out areas. We can really improve our trail system I think. What do you guy think? I'm talking about the Leon creek trails primarily.
  • 01-01-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    I'm down. Just need some notice so I don't fill my day with other stuff to do.
  • 01-01-2013
    utsamtber
    1 Attachment(s)
    we have a new feature at op!
  • 01-01-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    we have a new feature at op!

    Where is that?

    I wouldn't mind marking the trails a little better with spray paint.
  • 01-02-2013
    utsamtber
    Op schnabel - YouTube

    a video from yesterday
  • 01-03-2013
    macross87
    Looks good! I was talking with a few of you while the ramp was being constructed. I had the Roscoe. I was hoping to ride it last night but had some things get in the way.
  • 01-03-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    I need to get my old bones acclimated to this cold weather. I was at Gotta Ride Bikes in Boerne today and it started snowing. Been a while since I've seen big snow flakes in/around the SA area.
  • 01-03-2013
    macross87
    Yeah, but the flurries dont stick to well. At least over by the airport today. On the plus, colder weather allows us to flow through the clay mud a little easier. Or at least that is what I tell myself.

    I know there is the one ramp on the Parkwood runs. Are there plans for further ones?
  • 01-03-2013
    SLR
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I need to get my old bones acclimated to this cold weather.

    This :yes nod:
    Post the times/place and I'll try to make it…..
  • 01-03-2013
    special k
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post

    I wouldn't mind marking the trails a little better with spray paint.



    I hope your kidding..
  • 01-03-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by special k View Post
    I hope your kidding..

    Not unless you want to make me some pretty signs I could screw into the trees.
  • 01-03-2013
    special k
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Not unless you want to make me some pretty signs I could screw into the trees.

    Go for it...don't stop at OP though you can do Gov. Canyon, Salado , Mac, etc.
  • 01-03-2013
    utsamtber
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macross87 View Post
    Yeah, but the flurries dont stick to well. At least over by the airport today. On the plus, colder weather allows us to flow through the clay mud a little easier. Or at least that is what I tell myself.

    I know there is the one ramp on the Parkwood runs. Are there plans for further ones?

    Im planning to wait a couple weeks to see if that wooden ramp stays or gets taken down by someone. I would like to continue to build up from that all the way to the top of the fire road. Have a couple more drops and maybe jump or two. It has nice flow with the two rock drops and that wood drop now.
  • 01-03-2013
    special k
    A couple of my buds built some of those dirt jumps further up the trail (beginning of your video)going up towards the subdivision years back. It was a nice line. Some other guys decided it would be a good idea to use a chain saw to "help" them out and the residents up there called the Park Police. The popo told them that hillside is part of the HOA property of Parkwood and just told them to stop building/cutting there and left it at that. Thats why some of those dirt mounds are grown over nowadays.

    That ramp looks cool, I'm glad you guys haven't made any changes to the rock drop right before the ladder. If you do any other work further up just be discrete and good luck, fwiw.
  • 01-03-2013
    utsamtber
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by special k View Post
    A couple of my buds built some of those dirt jumps further up the trail (beginning of your video)going up towards the subdivision years back. It was a nice line. Some other guys decided it would be a good idea to use a chain saw to "help" them out and the residents up there called the Park Police. The popo told them that hillside is part of the HOA property of Parkwood and just told them to stop building/cutting there and left it at that. Thats why some of those dirt mounds are grown over nowadays.

    That ramp looks cool, I'm glad you guys haven't made any changes to the rock drop right before the ladder. If you do any other work further up just be discrete and good luck, fwiw.

    Yea we def saw some remnants of a couple of berms and beginnings of drops. The rock drops will stay as they are. I really hope no one messes with the wood. As far as future building, everything will be done with manual tools so it should be fine! Do you still ride out here?
  • 01-03-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    Yea we def saw some remnants of a couple of berms and beginnings of drops. The rock drops will stay as they are. I really hope no one messes with the wood. As far as future building, everything will be done with manual tools so it should be fine! Do you still ride out here?

    A couple of hand-held wood saws and cordless drills (or just good ole fashioned hammer and nails) will do the trick.

    There are still so many trails I haven't explored. I need to take some of my GPS routes and have them uploaded so others can follow my tracks.

    I learned a few new trails when I rode with the guys on Christmas Eve.
  • 01-03-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by special k View Post
    Go for it...don't stop at OP though you can do Gov. Canyon, Salado , Mac, etc.

    Gov't Canyon has a map, Mac is already marked and I don't ride Salado enough to know it very well. LC is my favorite place to ride.
  • 01-04-2013
    special k
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    Do you still ride out here?

    Yup..Haven't ridden that area since you guys added the ladder though. Mainly ride Salado locally.
  • 01-04-2013
    utsamtber
    anybody riding leon creek greenway on sunday?
  • 01-04-2013
    SLR
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    anybody riding leon creek greenway on sunday?

    Rene, I'm thinking about it since the weather might reach low 60s. Last time out was X-Mas eve…will probably head out around 1100 when it warms up a bit.
    Paul
  • 01-05-2013
    utsamtber
    Tomorrow we are going to end up making the trip to reveille peak ranch! Today at 3 we will be at op riding a new line!
  • 01-05-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    Had to be responsible and work today.

    Gonna ride for sure during the week.
  • 01-05-2013
    spaceace78232
    Sounds good.
  • 01-06-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    Anyone riding tomorrow. Looks like it's gonna turn to crap Tuesday and Wednesday.
  • 01-08-2013
    macross87
    I saw yesterday that some have dropped chalk (or baby powder) to make some trails stand out. I was thinking this morning while at work about perhaps some signs on the trees would help. I have wooden pallets on hand which are good scrap to make some directional signs. Perhaps we could even adopt some of the signage similar to ski slopes (green circles, blue squares, black diamonds). Any thoughts?
  • 01-08-2013
    utsamtber
    Idk about having different markings considering all the trails are pretty easy. I think it would be cool to lay out one good loop. Maybe 12-15 miles. And mark it for people that don't know the area very well
  • 01-08-2013
    macross87
    Depending on the route of the loop, a 15 mile loop could easily be made. For the sake of simplicity, the start point doesnt really matter, we could route something similar to:

    1)OP cliff pavilion (small one) then head south and west to connect to the outer OP loop (running eventually to Braundera Lumber and then the cell tower)
    2) Shoot south down to the creek
    3) Take the creek north to Bamberger trails, loop around and head south
    4) Go south past the OP concrete paths riding along the golf course down to Bandera Rd
    5) U-Turn at Bandera running up the trails closer to the concrete path
    6) Finish at the OP cliff pavilion

    The majority of this on the trails except where we needed to pass over the concrete of course. I would was thinking of mapping a ride like that today if it wasn't raining so much. Maybe Friday for me then. Maybe this crudely drawn map can help. Dont judge my last minute drawing attempts.

  • 01-08-2013
    SLR
    I road OP on Sunday and saw the chalk too…betcha it's all washed away now!

    In-Yo-Grill - The picture of the wooden ramp, in the above post, is right next to what you call the "Big Dipper":thumbsup:
  • 01-08-2013
    utsamtber
    That's a good map, maybe one of these coming weekends we can make some signs and go out to the trails and mark them. What does the big dipper refer too?
  • 01-08-2013
    SLR
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    we have a new feature at op!

    In-Yo-Grill showed me the Big Dipper….it's a steep hill just to the left of the ramp in the picture. You guys have probably already ridden down it :D
  • 01-08-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    I road OP on Sunday and saw the chalk too…betcha it's all washed away now!

    In-Yo-Grill - The picture of the wooden ramp, in the above post, is right next to what you call the "Big Dipper":thumbsup:

    Cool...I guess I missed it when we rode by a X-mas Eve. Unless it wasn't there yet. I showed my son Rene's video and he is eager to get out there and hit the jumps.

    I heard Flat Rock is open again. We need to get a group ride out there.
  • 01-09-2013
    ol dirty yarg
    Where is the big dipper at OP? I have been riding OP and the greenway every weekend and havent seen this area.
  • 01-09-2013
    utsamtber
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Cool...I guess I missed it when we rode by a X-mas Eve. Unless it wasn't there yet. I showed my son Rene's video and he is eager to get out there and hit the jumps.

    I heard Flat Rock is open again. We need to get a group ride out there.


    When you take your son let me know! We have a couple more in the works above the wood.
  • 01-11-2013
    utsamtber
    im going to head to the trails today in hopes that it is dry enough!
  • 01-11-2013
    macross87
    Did you hit any dry patches? I was able to ride earlier and it was slick or cakie in a lot of places. Found out my new front tire works great! The back just slides around though.
  • 01-11-2013
    In-Yo-Grill
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ol dirty yarg View Post
    Where is the big dipper at OP? I have been riding OP and the greenway every weekend and havent seen this area.

    It's real close to the fireman's road or "goat hill". From the trail below it doesn't look like a drop you would want to do but overall it's not too bad. It's a major rush for sure.
  • 01-11-2013
    utsamtber
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macross87 View Post
    Did you hit any dry patches? I was able to ride earlier and it was slick or cakie in a lot of places. Found out my new front tire works great! The back just slides around though.


    It was pretty wet out there. I look forward to sunday though! It should be perfect!
  • 01-12-2013
    utsamtber
    some ahole noobs already tried to tear down the wood feature. They couldn't simply go around it. There were also skid marks all the way down the hill(that's why Im assuming noobs). I just don't understand why people can't leave stuff alone just because they aren't skilled enough to do it.
  • 01-12-2013
    ol dirty yarg
    Thanks "in yo grill", i found it.
  • 01-12-2013
    macross87
    Is that the drop that dips into the creek and across? When heading from the parkwood parking lot.
  • 01-13-2013
    utsamtber
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macross87 View Post
    Is that the drop that dips into the creek and across? When heading from the parkwood parking lot.

    Which drop? The wood drop is by the big rock drop coming from parkwood.
  • 01-13-2013
    macross87
    The big dipper ad fireman's road is what I was asking of.