mtbr member
    Jan 2012

San Antonio Trail Help....Finding Your Way

I am very familiar with Macalister Park trails, but looking for more mileage. I've already connected Mud Creek to get up to 20 miles. In reading old bikemojo posts it seems there are/was/could be trails at Tobin Park and John James Park. These parks are in the south direction of Salado Creek.

Does anyone know if the trails in Tobin and John James still exist? I'd really like to get 10 miles in at MAC take the greenway down to the other parks for some more singletrack and then head back to Mac. Should be able to get 20-30+ miles with that....I think. Please chime in if you know about the those park trails.

Also, I am somewhat familiar with Leon Creek. I usually drop in at Bamberger and head south, also hit OP. I read a post submitted by utsamtber about starting at the trail head at the Drury Inn (I-10) and dropping in about a mile from there. I haven't started from there, but could someone let us know if the trail is right or left of the greenway once you get down about a mile?

Thanks everyone!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    It's to the right...

Right after you cross the big bridge you can dump onto the trails and make it down past OP to Bandera.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks...so you are saying you get on the trails at Bamberger then right from the I-10 trailhead? I was hoping there would be trails in the Leon Creek Greenway Park and Fox Park which are before Bamberger.

Anyone have any idea about Tobin or John James?

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmorg1075 View Post
    Thanks...so you are saying you get on the trails at Bamberger then right from the I-10 trailhead? I was hoping there would be trails in the Leon Creek Greenway Park and Fox Park which are before Bamberger.

I'm saying that if you park at the I-10 spot to drop in at then you go about a mile or so south and then drop in after the bridge. Other wise you can go from Bamberger to the bird sanctuary then back and head south from there.

mtbr member

When you get to Tobin (Just after 410) there use to be a drop in right around the stone picnic table near the parking lot. Last time I was there was a little over a year ago and they had started to tear up the grounds with some pipe work. If its not there anymore continue on down the paved trail and look for any little trail that pops up on the right. Not much land to get lost out there so you should be able to find your way around. It crosses over the paved trail further down closer to Austin Hwy. I have not found any dirt trails past that.

mtbr member
    I always start at Fox park. I'll get on the trails from there, ride through bird sanctuary to O.P. stop and hit the table top a few times, get some playtime in at the pump section and ride back.

mtbr member
    If you start near the Drury Inn, you have to ride some pavement for a while, but it's a good warm-up. I don't know how long the trails are after that, but I made it down near Ingram Park Mall the last time I was there a few years ago. you could easily do a 30-40 mile ride mostly on dirt along Leon Creek without too much effort looking for trails.

Salado north also goes a long way if you know where you are going.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 08-18-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!

Re: San Antonio Trail Help....Finding Your Way

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    If you start near the Drury in, you have to ride some pavement for a while, but it's a good warm-up. I don't know how long the trails are after that, but I made it down near Ingram Park Mall the last time I was there a few years ago. you could easily do a 30-40 mile ride mostly on dirt along Leon Creek without too much effort looking for trails.

Salado north also goes a long way if you know where you are going.
    You would have to add OP to your ride to get over 20 miles. The Devils Den past culebra has some trails but they dont flow too well.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    You would have to add OP to your ride to get over 20 miles. The Devils Den past culebra has some trails but they dont flow too well.
    of course. I never thought of OP as a separate trail. I always rode all of it. The Devil's Den area does not flow, and that's what makes it fun and challenging. the last time I was there a few years ago, I saw some really big snakes hanging out around there too. watch out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Also, I am somewhat familiar with Leon Creek. I usually drop in at Bamberger and head south, also hit OP. I read a post submitted by utsamtber about starting at the trail head at the Drury Inn (I-10) and dropping in about a mile from there. I haven't started from there, but could someone let us know if the trail is right or left of the greenway once you get down about a mile?

Thanks everyone!
    You can actually hit trails right at the Drury trail head. If you go to the northwest corner of the parking lot, just outside the entrance on the path there is a trail that will take you to the spot others have mentioned just past the second bridge on the concrete path. It is a fun trail. If you are on Strava you can find it by searching for the segment called "Upper Drury"

Richard

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Anyone riding this weekend? I will get out for sure but not sure what day(s).

Doing my best to get work under control so I can take my boy out Friday and then again on Sunday.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Met a guy at REI yesterday whom I referred to this site. This is a post to see if I can troll him up.

He was looking at bike racks and we got to talking about riding. I told him about the Sunday rides and hope we can get more people out as the weather seems to be changing a little.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I went by here the other day. We did the pavement for a while and just turned off when we saw anything to the sides. There's some bad ass superman hills on the left a little before the halfway point I think. Before that there was plenty of off road trailing on the right as well. Keep in mind this is all starting at the Drury Inn point and working down from there.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SATalon View Post
    I went by here the other day. We did the pavement for a while and just turned off when we saw anything to the sides. There's some bad ass superman hills on the left a little before the halfway point I think. Before that there was plenty of off road trailing on the right as well. Keep in mind this is all starting at the Drury Inn point and working down from there.
    I've heard that area called the roller coaster. Because it's so easily accessible that place is usually pretty busy. The better trails are to the right hand side.