mtbr member
    Dec 2011

San ANtonio - rentals and riding

Ill be heading to San Antonio for work in August and would like a recomendation for some riding. Looking for some singletrack and also renting a bike. I ride a HT 29er so something of like kind. Mainly intermnediate to difficult singletrack would be preferred.

Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Government Canyon is your best bet. Its has everything you seek. Easy to follow trails pick up a map at the front office. $6 gets you in. Government Canyon State Natural Area ? Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Everything else around town you might need to get a guide to show you around but all its free to ride. Salado Creek, Mcallister park, Leon Creek/OP. Another free and easy to follow trail is about a 30 min drive out side of town Madrone Trail at Canyon Lake. If you don't mind a little further out 45 min drive you can hit up a very popular trail in Comfort. Flat Rock Ranch tones of miles and easy-ish to follow trails. Flat Rock Ranch - Comfort, Texas I think its $7 or $8 for day use.
    Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    I lived in San Antonio for a few years and I always enjoyed Leon Creek, Salado Creek, and McAllister Park. The two creeks are long, linear greenways along creek beds with some paved paths. McAllister is a spaghetti bowl mess of trails that go everywhere.

Last time I rode Salado, you could park and drop in at Phil Harburger Park off Blanco Road and head north. It kind of ends after about 5 miles at 1604 but you might find more than that now. that gives you at least a 10-mile out-and-back.

you can drop into Leon Creek at the north end behind Drury Inn at I-10/1604 and ride the paved greenway until you find some singletrack, drop in at Bamburger Park on Babcock Road, or at O P Schnabel Park on Bandera Road. Any of those spots will give you access to a nearly endless combo of trails going south all the way to the Ingram Park Mall area.

McAllister Park is off Jones Maltsberger Rd just north of the airport. just park and wander around until you find singletrack.

most of these trails have probably expanded since I was last there three years ago.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Gov't Canyon is ok but I'd take my chances at Leon Creek/OP or McCalister . Gov't Canyon is one rocky sum beech! Not too bad to explore and lots of peeps on the trail willing to let you follow them into uncharted territory. Shoot me a PM when you get down here and have a bike. I'd be happy to meet you at Leon Creek and ride with you.

IYG...
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Any luck with shops that do rentals? we may be coming down in Feb, would also be looking to rent and check out the trails. I'm the same as the OP - ride a carbon HT 29'er as does the wife, so either similar or FS if that is best for the trails in the area...
    Dennis
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!