mtbr member
    Mar 2013

San Antonio - Lackland AFB

I know there have been several people ask about riding in San Antonio so sorry if I beating it into the ground. I will be coming to Lackland for my nephews graduation ceremonies from basic training and may have a little time to take a ride. I have only been riding since March of this year but have ridden trails in my area that are considered moderate to difficult but my wife, on the other hand has only had her bike about a month. She has ridden some of the same trails that I have but I had to wait on her a lot. So I guess my question is, are there some good trails for beginner to intermediate that is close to Lackland? We will be staying at a Best Western, 6 minutes from the base. Also, is there a shop where we can rent bikes or would it be best to bring our own? We may be flying down so bringing our bikes may not be possible. Thanks!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    When and how long will you be in town?
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    We will be in town in the afternoon/evening of October 23 and will leave San Antonio on Monday October 28.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There is nothing around Lackland as far as mountain biking is concerned. There is a paved trail near Ingram Rd and Loop 410 that will give you about 17 miles, one way of pavement. It will also take you through OP Schnabel Park which offers some great trails. OP Schnabel can be a bit confusing but you can find your way. You can also go up by the airport and ride McAllister Park. McAllister is not technical and offers some good riding. Check out Ride Away Bikes if you are looking for rentals.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by js1221 View Post
    There is nothing around Lackland as far as mountain biking is concerned. There is a paved trail near Ingram Rd and Loop 410 that will give you about 17 miles, one way of pavement. It will also take you through OP Schnabel Park which offers some great trails. OP Schnabel can be a bit confusing but you can find your way. You can also go up by the airport and ride McAllister Park. McAllister is not technical and offers some good riding. Check out Ride Away Bikes if you are looking for rentals.
    I'll second Ride-a-way bikes for rentals. You're best best would be to rent some bikes and hit the Leon Creek OP Schnabel area if you are looking for trails. For paved rides I'd go to BlueStar and ride the paved trails toward the missions. Post up again when the time is near and if I can I'll be your trails guide.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...