Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    CO, CA guy in TX flatland
    Mar 2008

San Antonio folks! Check in.

Figured they need to start this for every major biking city here in TX. Austin etc...

I will start because, hey I am in SA...(wishing I was back in Cali but none-the-less).

My name is Rob. I moved here from SoCal and before that Golden, Colorado. I have been riding a while, but new to hill country riding.. but liking it so far.

anyways

Rob NW San Antonio
    Spots - OP Schnabel, Govt Canyon and soon Flat Rock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Ne san antonio here!

live in universal city. ride OP been to ...gov. canyon, mac, flatrock, mudcreek. lived in peoria IL before so this terrain is definately dif lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey Rob!

I'm a Trail Patrol out at Govt Canyon and ride it weekly. One of the best trails in south Texas. Lots of different ways to ride the canyon but here is my favorite.

1. Enter back country on JJR (by the bridge) and head up to Recharge (first right)
    2. Take Recharge all the way out to Far Reaches (end of trail on your left)
    3. Far Reaches to Crossroads (intersection of Sendero/FR/Wildcat Canyon)
    4. Take a right onto Sendero Balcones and ride it to the end (very end)
    5. Sendero drops you out at the end of JJR, ride this down to Savannahs Loop
    6. Take Savannahs Loop and enjoy the downhill bombing run once you reach the top!
    7. Drops you back onto JJR, take a right and tear your way back to the asphalt

Other notable local rides:

OP Schnabel - start at the head end at a little park off of Babcock at the bridge
    Salado Creek 1604 to Blanco and back - start at Blattman Elem off 1604

Drew Thomas
    NW San Antonio
    Santa Cruz Blur
    [SIZE="4"]SA Canyonman[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]Pass the energy bar dude![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you ever get up to Austin, drop me a line and I'll give you a tour. My site has some san antonio stuff as well.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGiant
    Figured they need to start this for every major biking city here in TX. Austin etc...

I will start because, hey I am in SA...(wishing I was back in Cali but none-the-less).

My name is Rob. I moved here from SoCal and before that Golden, Colorado. I have been riding a while, but new to hill country riding.. but liking it so far.

anyways

Rob NW San Antonio
    Spots - OP Schnabel, Govt Canyon and soon Flat Rock.
    Welcome to SA Rob,

The Texas Hill Country is a little different that SoCal. We have some good stuff here. Living near OP and Gov't Cheese you are fortunate.

You need to check out Flat Rock, 30ish miles of sweet TX singletrack.

And if you enjoy Gov't Cheese you need to head out to HCNA

Other notable links to check out include....

STORM

TMBRA

[blatant propaganda]
    and I would be remiss if I didn't mention BikeMojo-Raspa
    . It is our local forum.
    [/blatant propaganda]

And lastly, on occasion several of us venture up to Austin. An hour in the car puts you at the Greenbelt or Emma Long/City Park. John (Austin Bike) is a good host for a Greenbelt ride. Pack a sandwich.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Hey Rob I'm here in S.A. I ride O.P. every Saturday. Look for the blond chick on the fully spec'd green and chrome Balance al-550.

Mar 2008
    Sweet, glad to see that there are a bit of riders out here. I was beginning to worry that the city was filled with the Bill Miller eating, non exercise, too hot and too lazy type. (I do not mean to stereo-type either). DJ Siryn. I ride on Saturdays as well. I usually either go do the Bandera Bridge loop or go up to Baumburger (sp?). Anyways, glad there are some riders here, Now lets get a ride together.

SACanyonman. I will have to try that route, seems alot easier on the Sendero side. I usually go up JJR, then Across to Sendero, then down Wildcat Canyon.

Austin Bike: I was going to go to Austin this Weekend for my friend is a Roadie and has a race this weekend for charity. That was till my church is having a father-son camping trip and what can I say, spend some quality time with my son is not ever gonna be passed up.

Mar 2008
    one more thing, can someone who is on the bikemojo.com site email the admin to get the registration working correctly, I cannot register for it continues to say I have not entered in the Spam verification correctly, even though I am 100% positive I did, have and continue to do so. Cleared cookies and tried again and still with same results. TIA

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Im right here in Fischer! Just north of SA by about 40 miles on 281. About 18 miles from San Marcos and about 22 from Austin. But, I am about to head to New Mexico in 2 weeks for my summer job, rockclimbing instructor near Cimarron. I'll come back with an new Kona if all goes as planned!!! Ride gnarly!!!

Eagle's Peak is a sweet bomber downhill near my home and Canyon Lake! Its a hike to the top but a BC style slope into a bunch of sick switchbacks through cedar and a deep gultch that has swollowed more than one bike.

Also, the North side of Canyon Lake dam...however smooth it may look, park at the lookout and ride across. Get pumped looking down the 4 terraces and madly weathered holes along your chosen path...then drop in off the edge and realize its about a 60 degree angle and your brakes had best be in great shape.

Way back when, Smithville used to have a sick downhill course and it was relatively close to everyone in the HC but no more is what I hear.

We also, built ALOT of trails along the penensula at Canyon Lake (the same one that Canyon Lake Marina and Papa Docks reside on) The trail heads start at the aprking area on the right about 1 mile down the road frm the gas station. Tightand technical with some high speed and up hill sections depending on your direction. In September, we will start work on a north shore style trail along the shore and through some toppled over trees! I look foward to that!

See you guys out there, when I get back.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

Got Mojo?

got ur pm

Quote Originally Posted by TXGiant
    one more thing, can someone who is on the bikemojo.com site email the admin to get the registration working correctly, I cannot register for it continues to say I have not entered in the Spam verification correctly, even though I am 100% positive I did, have and continue to do so. Cleared cookies and tried again and still with same results. TIA
    fixed.

welcome abored
    Last edited by BikeMojo; 05-13-2008 at 08:34 AM.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

herbivore
    May 2006
    welcome to s. texas, i lived in flagstaff for a while so i know what it is like ti miss the mountains. i live near helotes and usually just ride from home to op and gcsna. i am at op at least 3X a week on a cannondale rush. what are you riding?

herbivore
    May 2006
    any mtb tandem teams out there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sa

here!

hispanic mechanic

Ha!

Your situation sounds a lot like mine- lived in Ft. Collins/Denver, then Sandy Eggo, now S.A.
    I've been riding Salado creek more than anything lately, but do truly enjoy Flat Rock, Gubmint Cheese, and Madrone.

Los (the less evil Carlos) on the blue Wily.
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Your situation sounds a lot like mine- lived in Ft. Collins/Denver, then Sandy Eggo, now S.A.
    I've been riding Salado creek more than anything lately, but do truly enjoy Flat Rock, Gubmint Cheese, and Madrone.

Los (the less evil Carlos) on the blue Wily.
    So, how's life treating you with the spinny thing in the back?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just recently moved to Boerne/SA as well from AZ. Ive mainly been riding on the road lately to get back into riding shape. I work at Sun and Ski in SA(281&bitters), so Ive met a few riders but Id love to meet up with a group to see the trails at Govt. Canyon. PM me for upcoming rides.
    Mike

hispanic mechanic

Lemme tell ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    So, how's life treating you with the spinny thing in the back?
    Riding with a freewheel is really freakin' weird.
    How's 'bout you? How is it non-freewheeling?

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    Riding with a freewheel is really freakin' weird.
    How's 'bout you? How is it non-freewheeling?

Los
    sorry for the delay.

Uh... slow going. I've only tooled around in my neighborhood, I'm afraid any skillz I may have once had are long gone. The most challenging part so far is just clearing obstacles w/out a massive pedal strike. I'm learning the rear wheel hop right now. There's a little off road deal over by my place (Dry Comal Creek) that has a lot of soft dirt to practice on before I head out to Madrone.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What's up everybody?

Schertz checking in! I

I don't have a bike yet and I am the definition of a beginner. I have ridden on my brother in law's Cannondale and had a blast up in Austin. I was looking for an exciting way to drop a few pounds and pick up a new hobby. In a past life, I worked on cars and loved to go fast. With mountain biking the parallels are incredible between the two (it seems).

I am currently shopping around both new and used so any suggestion is appreciated. I am heading to Ft. Worth to go ride with a buddy so I am hoping to have a rig by this weekend.

Hopefully I can get some good info from this site and find some friends to ride with here in SA in the process!

GO SPURS GO!

John

El Mas Chingon
    Quote Originally Posted by copierdude

GO SPURS GO!

John

GO LAKERS GO!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Moots Cinco
    Vassago Optimus Ti
    Cervelo Prodigy

mtbr member
    May 2008
    3-1 going back to L.A. .......things are not looking good for us.

canuck
    HI!

ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron D
    HI!

I miss you, honey buns.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hi,

I'm very new to mountain biking myself, I just bought a bike a few days ago to get myself back into shape. I used to ride as a kiddo, but it's been a decade+. I just did 7 miles today of slightly hilly roads in Alamo Heights, and my legs are killing me, so I'm obviously not in the best of shape.

That said, I'm looking for fun trails/etc that people new to riding could do, without killing themselves. I'm not in terrible shape or anything, and I've got a decent bike (trek fuel ex 5.5), but doubt I could handle climbing hills for 4 hours straight. At least, not now!

If you SA folks go out with any regularity, I'd love to meet up with you and learn what I can learn. It'll make it easier for me to stay motivated to cycle around, too - and that's my goal.

Cheers,
    David

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by ormandj
    Hi,

I'm very new to mountain biking myself, I just bought a bike a few days ago to get myself back into shape. I used to ride as a kiddo, but it's been a decade+. I just did 7 miles today of slightly hilly roads in Alamo Heights, and my legs are killing me, so I'm obviously not in the best of shape.

That said, I'm looking for fun trails/etc that people new to riding could do, without killing themselves. I'm not in terrible shape or anything, and I've got a decent bike (trek fuel ex 5.5), but doubt I could handle climbing hills for 4 hours straight. At least, not now!

If you SA folks go out with any regularity, I'd love to meet up with you and learn what I can learn. It'll make it easier for me to stay motivated to cycle around, too - and that's my goal.

Cheers,
    David

David,

since you are in Alamo Heights you should check out the Thursday Bike World ride. It is a social ride through downtown, leaving at 7:30pm from Bike World Broadway. But there is often a group that meets at 6:00pm and hits some of the trails in Olmos Basin.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast