Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

San Antonio Bike Shops....Need Advice

I have a 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er. I took it into one of the shops on the north central side of town (not Performance Bike) and I will not name the shop, but I seem to be having a few problems that they can't address or won't address.

I brought the bike in to get 3 specific items looked at (crazy loud front brake, creaking/grinding bottom braket/cranks, and real wheel seems off center (dish issue?).

I was told to start off with a tune up and they can address those areas. Wife picked up the bike so I couldn't address issues then. I got home...looked at bike at the rear wheel is still slightly left. It doesnt' affect the rideability and I've read there are other Anthem owners with same problem (it just annoys me).

Went for a ride this past saturday. At the .5 mile mark pedal fell off while I was standing causing me to crash. I am still getting the SAME noise from BB/cranks. The front brake issues is resolved (YEAH!)

Went back to the shop and let them know I was not happy and doens't appear they addressed the issues I originally brought it in for. The mechanic who actually worked on my bike said the noise is coming from rear linkage. The noise only happens when I am pedaling....I'm close to 240LBS and while coasting the bike is TOTALLY silent and I can see the rear suspension working. I don't believe it is the rear linkage. I was told that the dish measures correct with the tools, but it's okay to be a little out of dish. Mechanic looks totally baffeled at this point and I just left very annoyed.

Can anyone give me any advice on how I should approach the issue with shop? I really feel they could care less or are not competent to fix my issues.

Can anyone give me any advice on a reputable shop that will try and fix the exact problems you bring the bike in for? I'd like to hear some success stories so I can try that shop out.

And yes..I try to wrench my own bikes, but I don't have the tools to do everything nor the time.

Thanks for reading long winded rant!
    Last edited by jasmorg1075; 04-04-2012 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    if the noise only happens when peddling the first thing to check is the rear drop outs. also, drop zone cycles is the best shop i have found in san antonio and the only shop i give my business to. just make sure to call ahead because it is a one man show, the owner is the only one that works there and he doesn't have set hours. His knowledge and quality of service are the reasons I give him my business.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks utsamtber. I will need to run by Drop Zone and see what he says.

Anyone else with other advice?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    make sure to call first, 210 403 2609

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sage Cycles, which is right around the corner from Drop Zone on Jones Maltsburger(right before the entrance to MAC).

Randy will help you. He's great with all types of bikes. Lots of experience and very friendly.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    My favorite mechanic just quit Ride Away Bicycles at Huebner Oaks so I'm gonna need a new one. I need to check out Jaime's shop at Drop Zone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Between myself and two of my riding buddies we have just about given up on getting bikes fixed in SA. I had all kinds of problems with a SRAM x9 rear derailer that the bike shop could not/ would not fix for me. Basicly anything that only happens when your peddling forget about the name bike shops helping you. If they can not see it on the stand happen its not getting fixed.
    This is where the smaller shops come in to play. Jamie that owns drop zone is awesome at fixing stuff that drives you nuts. Anything to do with wheels I just call him and it will be fixed quick. Key here is to use the phone not just show up. He owns another business to that takes up a lot of his time. So make an appt and drop your bike off. Two days later it will work better than new. Many people give up on having Jamie fix stuff because they don't want to have to call. In my book using the phone to contact one of the only dudes in town that will help is worth it. Another huge plus is he doesn't charge hardly anything for his service. You will give him a tip once you hear the price.
    I've heard good things about Sage also but haven't gone in there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great feedback everyone, exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for. Thanks!!

I just totally experienced "If they can not see it on the stand happen its not getting fixed." Very frustrating.

I have zero issues calling Drop Zone ahead of time and working with his schedule to ensure I can get my issues resolved.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have the same frame and the pivots are a rear full suspension bearings are a bit creaky. This frame has 1000s of miles on it though. I bought it from a buddy of mine used and he is an endurance racer (200+ miles in 24 hours). I ride it a lot as well. It's about time to get them replaced.

Giant recommends that you replace them every 100 miles (WTFingF?) or every year. I told the guy (this was mid January) I already had 250 miles on my bike and he just smiled conspiratorialy and said "Well then, every year". It's $100 for the bearings and $60 for labor (you need a special press I guess to get them in there correctly).

If you make it up to Austin, check out Texas cycle werks - they're the mad note.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    I would have to agree. Randy at Sage is my "God Mechanic" He can just about fix anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobiker View Post
    Sage Cycles, which is right around the corner from Drop Zone on Jones Maltsburger(right before the entrance to MAC).

Randy will help you. He's great with all types of bikes. Lots of experience and very friendly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Since you said "north central side of town", I'm kinda scared to take my bike into Bicycle Heaven for its first round of maintenance now haha

...but really :/

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rd2277 View Post
    Since you said "north central side of town", I'm kinda scared to take my bike into Bicycle Heaven for its first round of maintenance now haha

...but really :/
    I've gone to Bike Heaven a couple of times to feel them out. Not real impressed...Kinda snobby IMHO. I may give them a little job to see how they do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I've gone to Bike Heaven a couple of times to feel them out. Not real impressed...Kinda snobby IMHO. I may give them a little job to see how they do.
    I bought my bike there and the maintenance is free this time around. I actually bought because Beau there was the most helpful of all the people I talked to at all the shops. And the owner (at least I assumed the owner) of the store thanked me personally for giving them my business so I was actually really impressed. Hopefully they are okay and not just nice to make the sale.

mtbr member
    it is possible that the creaking is caused by the linkage. My Superlight used to creak like a mofo, but only when i pedaled. even coasting and hopping up and down wouldnt cause the same creaking noise. once i cleaned it up, replaced some stuff, it stopped creaking.

not that that is for sure youre problem, but it is possible.

(I just spent 3 weeks chasing a creak on my Blur LTc. Took apart every linkage, re-greased. checked every chain ring bolt multiple times, cleaned saddle rails, removed, cleaned and re-greased cranks and bottom bracket...all to no avail. finally realized that one of my pedals was creaking.... i felt like an idiot, but at least that damn ticking noise is gone!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Again, thanks for the comments and feedback.

I guess I'll have to take a harder look when I discuss the issues with Drop Zone of it possibly being the linkage. Just seems really weird that it could be that. I mean I can do a 1/4 turn on pedals and it creaks, I've bounced up and down so hard that I bottom my rear shock out and zero sound if I'm not pedaling while doing this and also throwing the bike side-to-side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My FS 29er was making a creaking noise only when I pedaled for a couple of weeks. Had all the linkage re greased, BB, wheel bearings, etc.etc. Did not fix it. Turned out the damn seat tube was causing the creaking sound. I smeared some of the grease around that was heavier on the bottom of the tube and like black magic the creak is gone!! Never in 100 years would have guessed a seat tube could make so much racket. Guess there is a reason they grease them

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmorg1075 View Post
    Again, thanks for the comments and feedback.

I guess I'll have to take a harder look when I discuss the issues with Drop Zone of it possibly being the linkage. Just seems really weird that it could be that. I mean I can do a 1/4 turn on pedals and it creaks, I've bounced up and down so hard that I bottom my rear shock out and zero sound if I'm not pedaling while doing this and also throwing the bike side-to-side.

I had the same problem with my gt. i took everything apart and greased and the sound wouldn't go away. Finally I greased my rear drop outs and the sound went away. I would start there

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    utsamtber....point well taken...I will do this before my next ride and see how it goes. Thanks for the information....greatly appreciated. If it is going to be that easy....I will gladly call you a genius (me crossing fingers).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jasmorg1075 View Post
    utsamtber....point well taken...I will do this before my next ride and see how it goes. Thanks for the information....greatly appreciated. If it is going to be that easy....I will gladly call you a genius (me crossing fingers).
    Haha after very much frustration with the noise my bike made, I was happy when I found out that was the problem all along.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobiker View Post

Absolutely concur. Great mechanic and an overall really good guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Went bike shop scavenging yesterday during lunch looking for a discontinued tire to see if anyone by chance had one laying around. Looking for a WTB Exiwolf 2.3 29" wire bead tire.

I noticed that Sage Cycles was closed and it appears Drop Zone is closed as well. I was at the building Drop Zone's address showed on the map, but couldn't find a bike shop anywhere resembling Drop Zone.

Does anyone know if Drop Zone closed or moved? Their number is not in service anymore either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    drop zone did close!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks utsamtber!

I know you used Drop Zone, but wondering what shop you prefer now or recommend. I've used a couple around the north central part of town and still haven't been completely satisfied, but basically learning most of the stuff on my own now. Next up is changing seals on my fox float rl series 32 fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea I def do my own work to save money and time. I went to cycle logic last week over on wetmore i believe. The guys there were helpful, I went because I took the rear triangle off my bike and needed a special tool to tighten a bolt back up. So I stopped by there to have them tighten it on my way to mac.

mtbr member
    So you told the mechanic how to fix the issue?

sent from my galaxy tab 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast