Thread: San Antonio

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

San Antonio

Hi there. I am going to be working in San Antonio at the end of the month and was thinking about mountain biking for one of the days Im there. Can anybody recommend some good intermediate/advance trail within an hour drive of San Antonio. I would also need to rent a bike, local advice would be fantastic.

Cheers
    Adam

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Flat rock ranch is a cool place that's not too far from San Antonio. As far as staying in the city, leon creek greenway has 15-20 miles of trails woven around the creek. I'm not sure about where to rent a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Rideaway Bikes on 1604/Redland has rentals. Not sure what exactly though. I second the trails on Leon Creek. Flat Rock is great if you can make it up IH 10. Government Canyon off Galm road is fun too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I want to check that place out.

mtbr member
    ill be making a trip to San Antonio later this year i have a hard tail 29er and a 180mm free ride bike. id much rather bring the free ride if there is trails to be had. i know that there must be a lot of free ride trails but Im looking for easy to find "mostly legal". How is the XC riding? i like punchy climbs and tech

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    ill be making a trip to San Antonio later this year i have a hard tail 29er and a 180mm free ride bike. id much rather bring the free ride if there is trails to be had. i know that there must be a lot of free ride trails but Im looking for easy to find "mostly legal". How is the XC riding? i like punchy climbs and tech
    It would be best to bring the 29er. Its mostly XC around here. If you check out MountainBikeTx.com | Texas Mountain Bike Trails there is a lot of info on the area trails. Check out the regions 5 & 6 for trail info. My personal favorites and driving time from my area (Schertz) are in order as follows:
    1 Reveille Peak Ranch Burnet, TX 2 hour
    2 Flat Rock Ranch Comfort, TX 1 hour
    3 Emma Long Metro Park (City Park) Austin, TX 1.5 hour
    4 Government Canyon State Natural Area San Antonio, TX 40 min
    5 Madrone Trail Canyon Lake, TX 30 min
    6 Prospect Park & Purgatory Creek Natural Area San Marcos TX 35min
    7 Salado Creek Greenway San Antonio, TX 25 min
    8 O.P. Schnable Park San Antonio, TX 30 min
    9 McAllister ParkSan Antonio, TX 20 min

Check out the site for more info and pictures.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Awesome website got it book marked. ::

mtbr member
    Had fun at government canyon last year! Rode a trail with a killer climb up to a water tower or windmill, then fast downhill single & double track on the way down! Kicked my ass...

mtbr member

Re: San Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    Had fun at government canyon last year! Rode a trail with a killer climb up to a water tower or windmill, then fast downhill single & double track on the way down! Kicked my ass...
    Sounds like so much fun climbing...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    backenridge park has some trails and some good jumps. the only thing is the trails haven't been kept so maybe a little jungle like.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dman777dman777 View Post
    backenridge park has some trails and some good jumps. the only thing is the trails haven't been kept so maybe a little jungle like.
    pics?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XRaptor View Post
    It would be best to bring the 29er. Its mostly XC around here. If you check out MountainBikeTx.com | Texas Mountain Bike Trails there is a lot of info on the area trails. Check out the regions 5 & 6 for trail info. My personal favorites and driving time from my area (Schertz) are in order as follows:
    1 Reveille Peak Ranch Burnet, TX 2 hour
    2 Flat Rock Ranch Comfort, TX 1 hour
    3 Emma Long Metro Park (City Park) Austin, TX 1.5 hour
    4 Government Canyon State Natural Area San Antonio, TX 40 min
    5 Madrone Trail Canyon Lake, TX 30 min
    6 Prospect Park & Purgatory Creek Natural Area San Marcos TX 35min
    7 Salado Creek Greenway San Antonio, TX 25 min
    8 O.P. Schnable Park San Antonio, TX 30 min
    9 McAllister ParkSan Antonio, TX 20 min

Check out the site for more info and pictures.
    Thanks for that link!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I live in Austin now so I never go there anymore. It's been about 7 years. But you should ask around...maybe bike world on Broadway. Maybe there might be a old timer there that will know what I am talking about.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    OP Schnabel park (Leon creek greenbelt trails) is the place to start your ride. It's pretty much dead center of the system. I grew up building those trails 20 years ago with my dirt bike before they decided to tell the world what only a few neighborhoods knew about, and know every inch of them. There's everything to be had if you know where to look, techy XC climbs and decents, fast single track with switchbacks and tight chicanes, some pretty epic jumps spread out, spider trails (the original and only name ill call them) by the golf course are always a blast. In reality you can do a 20-30 mile ride and never hit the same trail.