mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Road Trip: Austin to Colorado - Recommendations Wanted!

A couple buddies and I are looking to map out a solid mountain biking road trip from Austin to Colorado and everything in between! We're looking to go in September for about two weeks and plan to hit as many trails as possible.

What i'm really looking for here are any route and trail recommendations from anyone who has made this trip before...i know there are many people out there!

I look forward to reading your comments, cheers!

mtbr member
    winter park, Colorado. I love riding Trestle bike park, my friend owns a small shop on the way in called A culture of speed and he has a lot of good stuff there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    in denver this is a decent trail by red rocks ampitheater, but one of my favorite trails i've ever done is going north on the way to boulder, on the west side of the freeway before boulder...can't remember the name of the trail system, but there were different trails throughout - by a dike, up towards the foothills, among some pines, next to a lake, through some grassland...pretty cool stuff, i spent a good 3-4 hours there (mainly cause i wasn't in any biking condition, esp. up high in denver)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dytrdr5 View Post
    winter park, Colorado. I love riding Trestle bike park, my friend owns a small shop on the way in called A culture of speed and he has a lot of good stuff there.
    I agree with Dytrdr5 but if you go to WP look at the dates they do close in Sept . Its My 2nd home since i live a hr away !! Keystone is also awesome but they close early Sept ! when are you coming up ? and what route are you driving ?
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'd think about hitting Palo Duro Canyon on my way up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This past July a buddy and I made a trip just like this from Houston to Edwards, CO and had a hell of a good time! Not sure how many days your looking to spend on the road, but driving out through west Texas and up through New Mexico offers a ton of cool places to stop. Are y'all camping out along the way?

Here's a little rundown from our trip...

DAY 1: Drove to Austin, biked the greenbelt, met up with some buddies at barton springs, crashed in Fredericksburg.

DAY 2: Took I-10W to 285N up to Carlsbad, spent a few hours roaming the caverns, continued up 285 through Roswell, made it to Santa Fe with just enough light to set up camp.

DAY 3: Spent the day biking angel fire and roaming around Taos, camped in Taos. Taos is awesome!

DAY 4: Hit up the Taos pueblos on way out of town, 285N to Great Sand Dunes National Park, made camp and spent the day on the dunes. Probably my favorite part of the trip. (make sure to rent sand boards in town)

DAY 5-6: Visited friends in Boulder, rode walker ranch trail, such a cool town.

DAY 7-12: Arrived in Edwards, finished the trip biking at Vail and Beaver Creek resorts for the last few days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am going on this trip with Dimeo187. Below is a rough draft for our route. I planned it off of the top trails on singletrack.com. We will need to shave some trails off here and there for times sake but you get the idea.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...5568,21.005859

Thanks again for your advice guys. I am going to do some research on all of your recommendations so far!

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    I'd suggest cutting from Lamesa to Hobbs, through Artesia, then over to Alamogordo. You can stop in Cloudcroft and hit some trails there during the drive. Otherwise, there's nothing from San Angelo over. Cloudcroft has over 100 miles of trails, most of it true singletrack that is never crowded at 9k feet, so in some decent mountains, and it's cooler than the flats.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scottap2003 View Post
    I'd suggest cutting from Lamesa to Hobbs, through Artesia, then over to Alamogordo. You can stop in Cloudcroft and hit some trails there during the drive. Otherwise, there's nothing from San Angelo over. Cloudcroft has over 100 miles of trails, most of it true singletrack that is never crowded at 9k feet, so in some decent mountains, and it's cooler than the flats.
    Awesome, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    This is funny. For me a good mountain bike road trip would be to go to Austin!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sinfony78 View Post
    in denver this is a decent trail by red rocks ampitheater, but one of my favorite trails i've ever done is going north on the way to boulder, on the west side of the freeway before boulder...can't remember the name of the trail system, but there were different trails throughout - by a dike, up towards the foothills, among some pines, next to a lake, through some grassland...pretty cool stuff, i spent a good 3-4 hours there (mainly cause i wasn't in any biking condition, esp. up high in denver)
    Marshall Mesa/Community Ditch/Springbrook Loop. Nothing technical but a nice set of trails. Springbrook Loop in particular is my favorite lunch hour ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You've got Salida, CO marked on your map. That's good. Make sure you do the Monarch Crest Trail. (Book a shuttle from Poncha Springs, right next to Salida).

It's a 4-8 hour ride, and it is absolutely amazing. Don't miss it.

mtbr member
    If going through New Mexico you have to go to Angel Fire. They have some epic downhill runs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    skip crested butte and go from salida to denver to fruita and then back down to durango.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You can stay in Durango a week and not ride all trails! Travel a little north and Camp at Sid Creek and ride Hermosa trail and Purgatory, both great.

mtbr member
    Here is an idea for a two week trip and stops along the way it's 18 hours to Durango from Houston if you drive straight through so if your leaving from Austin knock a few hours off that.

Personally I would just drive straight to Colorado and not dick around in New Mexico if you want to get the biggest bang for your buck. Here is a nice connect the dots route you can do and some trail suggestions of stuff we have done in the past.

Salida do monach crest trail
    Gunnison do hartman rocks
    Crested Butte do 401, 403, Dyke trail, Deer Creek trail
    Grand Junction/Fruita (no suggestions yet going there this summer)
    Telluride (no suggestions it's on the bucket list tho')
    Durango do Engineer Pass, Bolam Pass to Hotel Draw, Junction Creek to High point and back down, Hermosa creek, Twin Buttes, Telegraph, (we have been to Durango for the last four years and done a lot more than this but these are do not miss if it's your first time)
    Cortez do Phil's world

Only place else we have done is the Firecracker 50 race in Breckenridge that area has a ton of sweet riding but it's all at altitude so check your fitness

pure sweetness

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the input guys. Hal i appreciate the breakdown on those trails. We will hit the ones in the towns below for sure. There are way too many options for this trip but we have hammered down the itinerary as follows.

Austin, TX
    Albuquerque, NM
    Durango, CO
    Crested Butte, CO
    Breckenridge, CO
    Denver, CO
    Winter Park, CO
    Fruita, Co
    Moab, UT
    Austin, TX

We already have a lot of the hotels booked but want to camp in Fruita and maybe Moab. Does anybody have any experience camping there? Looking for something scenic, can ride in ride out, and has some showers & restrooms. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    You could spend three weeks between Durango and Crested Butte and not ride the same trail twice I sh*t you not!

In Utah I dug Park City/Deer Valley 1000% more than Moab (it sucked IMOHO) and it's a lot closer to Fruita FYI.

I gotta bunch of videos (watch in HD) from our trip last year to Durango on my youtube incase you want to get a flavor for

Gudy's Rest to Junction Creek 9/4/12

Team Livemedium
    Gunnison do hartman rocks....... in a 4x4!!!!!!
    speaking from experience here.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hmmm.... might be willing to whore out my jeep wrangler unlimited for a spot on the trip. Friend and I have been talking about doing this for a while. I'll bring beer! LMK.
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,
    fox 34 talas140mm with CC angleset -1.5