Austin, Texas

Reimer's Ranch MAP...

I live right down the road from Reimer's Ranch so I ride there quite often. In the last few years there has been many changes to the trails. There has been a new main trailhead entrance twice now in just a couple of years. The last time, the park personnel simply moved some old Austin Ridge Riders signage to the entrance of the new trailhead that is not indicative of what is out there. I can't tell you how many times I spent 30 minutes or so trying to explain where to go, what to look for depending on your level and so on to bikers looking confused as they were about to embark. I kept asking the park personnel when they were going to have maps for people and I was constantly told it was "in the works". Finally, I just made a crude, hand-drawn map myself and brought it to them. They do use it a lot, but unless you ask for a map they won't offer one up. It costs a lot to copy off that paper I guess. So, forgive the crudeness of it, but maybe it will help some who are going out there for the first couple of times.

Next post...

Austin, Texas

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    why thank you!
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

Austin, Texas
    Why certainly...have to help our mountain biking brethren

mtbr member
    Great, thanks! I live just down the road from there too.
    I'm a n00b; maybe I'll go check out the novice trails there soon.
    Did I read right at their site - 10 bux admission?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Oh it's worth the 10 bucks ! I was supposed to go today but a friend bailed. I've been a handful of times over about as many years and the riding there is a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by pequin View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pequin View Post
    You mountain bikers are funny! You know how much it is to ride moto? I pay $25-$40 just to get into the track lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    You mountain bikers are funny! You know how much it is to ride moto? I pay $25-$40 just to get into the track lol.
    I guess I'm coming from being fortunate to have lived in the country most of my life, so the concept of having to pay for a ride in the country seems... strange.

I'll still check out RR, but there are plenty of free places to ride around here, so I hear.

Austin, Texas
    Slaughter Creek trail off of 1826 is free and it is a novice trail. Basically two loops; one 3 miles and the other 2 miles. Most put them together for the 5, I usually go at least around one more for the 8. Walnut and the Greenbelt are free, as are several others in town.

I pay the $100 yearly fee and can ride Reimers and Pace Bend all I want. If I were to pay $10 each time I ride those two it would probably be paying $700 - $800 or so in a year. Understand that Muleshoe is NOT part of that system, and the last time I went there they had jacked up the price from $5 to $15. I don't know what that was about, but I wasn't too thrilled about it.

Yeah, moto is definitely more expensive. I pay $20 to race the drag strip for an evening, but I will pay $125-$200 to ride a road track. I just paid $460 to ride at the Circuit of America's in June...but I think it will be worth it!!!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    oh yeaH 15 bucks would be way too much for muleshoe for sure ! Outside of maybe 3 ledges, 1 drop and some sand and pea sized rock on minor hills to negotiate it's not much harder than slaughter.

yeah slaughter creek is at least a 2 complete loop and sometimes 3 for me. BUT a few years ago I had one of my worst wrecks there. Speed can be built fast especially toward the end--suffice to say, dont check out a pretty girl walking on the trail and lose control. Those damn broke ribs killed me for about 10 weeks. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by smokehouse4444 View Post
    Slaughter Creek trail off of 1826 is free and it is a novice trail. Basically two loops; one 3 miles and the other 2 miles. Most put them together for the 5, I usually go at least around one more for the 8. Walnut and the Greenbelt are free, as are several others in town.

I pay the $100 yearly fee and can ride Reimers and Pace Bend all I want. If I were to pay $10 each time I ride those two it would probably be paying $700 - $800 or so in a year. Understand that Muleshoe is NOT part of that system, and the last time I went there they had jacked up the price from $5 to $15. I don't know what that was about, but I wasn't too thrilled about it.

Yeah, moto is definitely more expensive. I pay $20 to race the drag strip for an evening, but I will pay $125-$200 to ride a road track. I just paid $460 to ride at the Circuit of America's in June...but I think it will be worth it!!!

Bikes/Beers/BustinAss
    Dec 2012
    I think I might have missed reimers reserve the one time I went.
    I ride because exercising sucks, it's a lot of fun, and it makes beer taste oh so much better.

Austin, Texas
    Just looked at the Muleshoe sight and it indicates a fee of $5 still, so don't know what was going on that day. I really like Muleshoe, it can wear you out fairly well for just 7 miles. I tend to go there more after it rains, as it doesn't tear up the trails so much like most Central Texas trails, and in fact there are many places it firms it up and makes it a bit easier to ride.

I tend to go to Slaughter Creek after work with "The Tank", a bike I recently talked about on another thread. I'm usually just trying to beat the sun down or get a quick ride in at that point, so usually 5-8 miles. If I do go on a weekend, I'm with you, I will at least do the whole thing twice. Those rock heads sticking up in so many areas can getcha if you don't watch it, and like you say, you can get some real speed quickly in some areas.

I really like the Reimers Reserve area, it definitely adds something to the ride out there. Interesting. For the newer guys out there, remember that riding Reimers is a whole different ball of wax when ridden in the summer. You are out in the open a lot and it gets hooooooottt!!! I had a thing going a couple of summers ago where I was riding the 2nd split, Reimers Reserve, and then the curvey flat end...about 9 miles. It was usually after work and in the 5 oclock area. I could not for the life of me break 1 hour. Got so close so many times, and I was churning it big time. It had been triple digits all summer, then one day it dropped into the upper 70's lower 80's and I blew through almost easily in about 55 minutes. The heat out there makes a real difference.

Team Livemedium
    I helped move that sign you speak of.
    It was just so folks could find the new trailhead until
    it gets updated.

Haven't heard about the reimers reserve trail. I knew they were gonna put something
    there eventually. Is it already done? Since when?
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Austin, Texas
    Reimer's Reserve has been there for quite awhile...seems like at least a couple of years. We used to just call it the Travis County side since there was a sign at the fence that said that. It is not real hard, but riding it fast, and the loose rock can getcha if you don't watch it and it adds two miles. The beauty of Reimers is that there are so many combinations that you can use. RR at the top is a prime example. You can add or not depending on your time constraints or how hard you want to work it that day.

190lbs of climber
    I'm coming to Austin in a month for the ProXCT race and will be free on Sunday to explore. Reimer's Ranch looked good on the austinbike.com pages and this map means I could find my way around. Should I go for it on Sunday, or is there some other "must do" trail/loop I need to do during my one free day in the Austin area? All day epics welcomed-I haven't booked my flight yet and might go for a Monday early AM flight. I will likely have a rental car.
    thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Thanks for the map! I don't live nearby but I ride Reimers when I visit, fun! And I'm a Reimer- not that it gets me out of the parking fee.

Austin, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    I'm coming to Austin in a month for the ProXCT race and will be free on Sunday to explore. Reimer's Ranch looked good on the austinbike.com pages and this map means I could find my way around. Should I go for it on Sunday, or is there some other "must do" trail/loop I need to do during my one free day in the Austin area? All day epics welcomed-I haven't booked my flight yet and might go for a Monday early AM flight. I will likely have a rental car.
    thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Doing all of Reimer's is roughly 13 miles (not repeating any trails). The harder stuff is on the front half after the split one and doing all loops. Everything after the descent is on the easy green lower loop and might get boring for you. That is, unless you see how fast you can blow through it and then it becomes interesting (keeping yourself from washing out in the loose rocks/silt/sand/leaves. There are a lot of folks that think the Greenbelt is the quintessential Austin trail, and you would definitely dig climbing the "Hill of Life". I personally don't like it at all, as I would rather hike it with my wife, but you may love it. Rocky Hill Ranch outside of Smithville is definitely one to look into for an epic ride. You can ride around 26 miles of trail. If you go there, look it up on the computer first and figure what your trail order will be. There is a traditional loop that you add extra credit loops. Write it out on a piece of cardboard and hang it off of your bar so you don't find yourself constantly stopping to find your way. Hope the weather is good for you. It has been spectacular for riding here lately.

Austin, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    Thanks for the map! I don't live nearby but I ride Reimers when I visit, fun! And I'm a Reimer- not that it gets me out of the parking fee.
    Why...you are most welcome Ms. Di

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    As far as Rocky Hill it is one fun trail---Ive been there maybe a couple dozen plus times over the years and as I recall most of the extra cred trails are on the way back in. IMO the trail in Texas with the most flow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Whoa! R-Hill is still there? I thought that was gone. Nice place, thnx.

Austin, Texas
    Here is a shot alongside a ridge at Reimer's Ranch. The pic doesn't do the scene justice at all, unfortunately.

...and yes, Rocky Hill Ranch is still open. The fires apparently did not reach the area. Love that place.

You can see, however, in the top pic from Reimers Ranch that the fires that were near my home burned the crap out of Reimers. It looked like a moonscape for awhile. This is one with my 26er shortly after they started letting people back in.

Last edited by smokehouse4444; 02-10-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Red October
    smokehouse, I rode out there Monday and Today. Monday I missed the cutoff for the "Reserve Section", so when I got there today I asked for a map. They gave me yours, and I was able to find the place I went wrong. Thanks for doing the work for us.

Reimers is nice. It was hot today, but the breeze at the tops of the hills made it bearable.

Nice place.
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Planning on riding there next weekend for the first time. Greatly appreciate the map. Also going to Reveille Park.

Austin, Texas
    MellowDave, I'm glad the map helped you out. It's a rather rough sketch, but most can follow it fairly easy. The park dept has now put out a few small signs, and they have marked the 1st "extra" loop as a black...I'm hoping that doesn't confuse some folks. For those new to Reimers just remember, you usually have to specifically ask for a mountain bike trail map for them to give you one...they don't offer it.
    What I really love about Reimer's is how diverse the skill level of riders can be. Even the easy green can be a fun ending for technical riders if they try to see how fast they can ride it. Also, as you probably know, the difficulty factor jumps quite a bit during the summer months out there; that sun just bears down on you.

I may be out there this weekend as well on the Yeti 26er. If ya'll see me, be sure to say hello.