mtbr member
    Apr 2004

recommendations around DFW?

I'm road tripping down from DC to visit family and will be staying in Aledo.

rider background: i'm an "aggressive" trail rider. i used to regularly dirt jump and downhill but breaking my neck 5 years ago and having a son has left me mostly trail riding 95% of the time. i prefer long climbs so i can get in long descents which i know won't really be possible in the Aledo area... i'm willing to drive 60-90 mins to get in one good ride and looking for something a bit technical, fun, fast.

we did this trip a few years ago and i hit up marion samson park a few times (because it was 10 mins from the bro-in-law's house at the time) and made one longer trip out to big cedar... at the time my ride was an intense 5.5 which i have since upgraded to a transition covert which i ride everywhere from my local trail network to bigger east coast technical trails in the shenandoah valley to bike resorts like mountain creek in new jersey and highland in new hampshire.

any recommendations of rides/routes? i've checked out DORBAs site which is what i used last trip to figure out where to ride.

we will be in town from the 9-15th so i'm thinking i'll be able to squeeze in maybe 3 rides... 2 closer to Aledo and 1 longer trip. we've been to Dinosaur Valley before so maybe I'll bring my bike to get in a quick spin there on a family outting.

thanks for the intel/recommendations!
    -will

mtbr member
    Man Im in Aledo right now, been here for 8 months now. I'm still branching out and trying new places here and there.

Weatherford has a new trail, Quannah Hill, 5.3 miles and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. The Facebook page shows trail status etc. It has been my go to ride due to how close it is, not very techy but definitely fun and fast. It is becoming a local favorite for many people too.

North Shore looks good, I've only walked some of it.
    I rode River Legacy recently. The red trails are great but not a lot of elevation. Its kinda like a big rooty pump track in spots, otherwise a nice flat pedal through trees and such.
    Dino Valley has been on my list to go check out as I have heard good things about it.
    Samson is good, lone wolf trail is definitely fun.

Tech, fun, fast, long climbs and long descents to me screams Tyler State Park but thats 2 hour drive east from here. Reminds me of Colorado riding for some reason.

I'm probably not going to be much more help than the Dorba site but thats what I know so far. I can be to Quannah Hill in Weatherford in 15 minutes vs 30-40+ anywhere else so it has been my go to for a while.
    2012 Yeti 575 Race
    2013 Niner AIR 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks i'll check out that trail system in Weatherford. my Bro-In-Law was actually born there and is familiar with that area... sounds like it will be a an easy way to get away for a quick MTB fix.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sansom Park in Fort Worth. Check out FWMBA.org. Quanah Hill is a great trail too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Sansom Park is probably the best trail in the metroplex. However, Quanah is really great as well. The guys at Quanah have built an amazing trail that has great flow!

Definitely go to both.

You'll be close to both.

Sansom has an Enduro race this weekend (I think) and an Endurance race next weekend (Sansom 66 4/15/17).

Dinosaur Valley has a race on 4/22 and 23.

All are definitely worth your while.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks all. i've got family plans on the weekends so no riding then. we stayed in chattanooga last night and i did a 2 hour loop at raccoon mountain which was awesome!

it looks like a lot of rain is coming Monday & Tuesday so i'm hoping it will dry out for some weekday riding!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    l ended up riding Quanah Hill on Monday (all loops and then another 1886 loop for ~10 miles), Marion Sansom on Wednesday (another ~10 miles but i always get so lost there), Cleburne State Park on Thursday (bro-in-law dropped me off while checking on some job site, another ~10 miles)...

I'm going to hit up either Quanah Hill or Marion Sansom tomorrow for one last ride before leaving Texas!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sansom is being trimmed tomorrow so best to go in the afternoon

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Sansom is being trimmed tomorrow so best to go in the afternoon
    Sansom has a race tomorrow and they have asked folks not racing to please ride elsewhere tomorrow.

It's the Sansom 66 by Lone Star XC if interested. Go to RunSignUp and register.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    thanks for the intel! i'll avoid sansom tomorrow then!