mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Recently moved to the Houston area..

just saying hello, just recently moved to the Houston Area, Katy to be exact, and have already seen a few guys hauling their bikes around the area.. can't wait to get back on my bike when I get some time off work and learn the area better.....
    Santa Cruz Superlight RXC.

XC racer
    May 2005
    I think Houston is a great cycling city in general, check out GHORBA.org's trail guide for the local ones. Closest to you is the Ant Hills which is my personal favorite amongst intown trails, there are a few other trails of varying length considered "local," and a bunch more if you're willing to drive an hour or two. Great racing scene here too, see TMBRA.org.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    not much of a racer, I like to ride for the cardio and it keeps me occupied when I have nothing going on, now coming from the Dallas area, I know I'm going to miss some of the trails I frequented..

Wanderer
    Depending on where you will be in Katy, you may be able to ride to the Anthills which are not bad at all for flat Houston.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    We, GHORBA, have a group ride scheduled at at the Anthills on Saturday September 15th at 9:00am. Our group rides are free and are open to everyone,not just GHORBA members. We divide into groups based on skill and endurance level so no one is left out. It's a good way to get a tour of the Anthill trail system. We will have water, Gatorade, and light snacks available for all riders free of charge! I hope to see you there!

Mike Strawn

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    my riding days are usually Weds, and Thurs, since I work on the weekends.. and where about are the Anthills located? I'm staying on Enclave and Briar Forest off Eldridge..(not exactly sure that I'm actually in Katy)...but thanks for the invite, I'm a Member of DORBA, but haven't checked in there in a few weeks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ride north on Eldridge until you get to the bayou...turn right on the dirt trail just S of the bayou. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    thanks, I'll be the young guy on a bright red and black Santa Cruz with a Red sleeveless riding jersey...fairly easy to spot...lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    oh, and how strict are they around here as far as Helmets go? just asking, cause I don't always ride aggressive, and don't always wear one..(dumb I know) just don't like wearing one all the time..

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    pretty strict on helmets... ur not gonna like the houston trails if uve ridden stuff from dallas hehe. Northshore/big cedar/ oak cliff/rcp clown all the houston stuff. Houston is closer to Austin though!

You'll notice in Houston that most everyone is super race oriented since the trails are flat and not very technical.
    2012 Ellsworth Evolution
    x9 type 2, x0 cranks,
    fox 34 talas140mm with CC angleset -1.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is there any trails located near the woodlands area ?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    The Flintridge trail is located at the George Mitchell Greenway in the Woodlands. Cypresswood is located 20 minutes south and Carl Barton, Jr Park is 20 minutes north.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The George Mitchell in the Woodlands is nice .

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Watch out for those fearless copperheads. One was laid across the trail last week...and even though it goes against everything I believe in I chased it off. It can get really muddy down next to the creek if its damp...like it is right now. There are some outlaw trails outside the loop but of course they are not marked so real easy to get turned around.

mtbr member
    Are there any regularly group rides in the Houston area? I'm in town for a few days and would love to get a ride or two in while I'm here. I'm staying in the Richmond area.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk