mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Question for McAllister Park Riders

I've been riding my vintage Stumpjumper there for awhile and I'm trying to decide on a new bike. I like to ride fast but I don't get crazy like I did when I was younger. Mostly I'll be riding in McAllister as it's a short ride from home. I do okay on my old bike most places there but some of the really rocky stuff beats me up and it is a bit rough a lot of places.

I'm getting mixed opinions on the old 26 (or 29er) FS vs 29er HT argument, as I'm sure you can understand. What I'm hoping to hear from you folks is your opinion on the merits of a new 29er HT like the Airborne Goblin or a Specialized Stumpjumper 29er Comp vs something like the Stumpjumper Epic or Camber on the kinds of trails I'd find in McAllister and around SA in general.

Some folks are saying that it's only some spots in Government Canyon that I'd really need a FS and a 29er HT is fine everywhere else. Others are saying that the benefits of a FS bike really shine over a HT everywhere.

I could spend $3k on a new Epic or Camber but I'd rather spend less.

Is a 29er HT going to do the job for me? What do you locals think?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'd say just get a FS bike, why limit yourself to places you can/cant go. I rode Govt Canyon with a HT a Trek Wahoo and I just went again recently with my FS Superfly 100 Elite and it was NIGHT & DAY difference. The FS just felt soo much better, bike is about 4x more expensive but the FS just felt good. I blasted down Wildcat and felt very comfortable not tired or beatup after the ride. You can get away with a HT at McAllister, OP, Salado but limit yourself to places. Also you said yourself that you are older so why beat your body up more than you have to? I just took up this hobby myself at the end of Jan this Superfly is my 2nd bike. (its for sale) I honestly rode Govt Canyon for 3hrs nd I was not tired at all. I wanted to keep going but the guy I was with wanted to leave, he was driving so he calls the shots.If you can afford it I'd get a FS. But then again what do I know I just started riding this year. Ive done Salado, Mcallister, OP, Govt, Flatrock and of course most if not all paved trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Let me add alil bit to this... my friend when we first started riding took a Trek 8.3 DS to Govt Canyon (hahaha) after about 30 mins he couldnt open his hands. We had to pry them open. So you can go anywhere in a HT, FS or even dual sport with thin tires BUT ask my friend if he will go to Govt canyon again on that 8.3. oh man that day was so funny. We didnt know any better. Think about how often you will be riding and if its ALOT of riding then invest in a good bike that you can enjoy and take the least amount of abuse possible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I hear what you're saying. I've ridden my current hardtail for 15+ years all around SA and done alright. Yeah, it's not smooth but it works.

I'll likely not be riding at GC and if I do it would just be the front part. It's just too far from home. Mostly I'll be at McAllister.

I'm just wondering if a FS bike is really that much better - double the price of a 29er HT - to make it worthwhile on the types of trails I see at McAllister and other similar places.

Airborne New Goblin $1200 (my current #1 choice)
    Specialized Stumpjumper Comp $2000
    Specialized Stimpjumper EVO $2200 (My current #2 choice)
    Specialized Camber Comp $2750
    Specialized Epic Comp $3300 (my current #3 choice)

Quite a bit of difference and extra weight on those FS bikes. Quite a bit more money to get a light one!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    For what it sounds like I dont think you would need to get a FS you may enjoy it more but not a neccessity. Theres nothing real rough at McAllister or any other trail in SA besides Govt & Flatrock in Comfort. I rode my Wahoo on all the trails here and it felt good to me. I REALLY felt the difference at Govt coming downhill. For what you are doing right now Id say stick to HT. Have you ever ridden a FS on any of those trails to compare? My FS Superfly is pretty darn light, it cost a pretty penny but its a great bike. You prefer Specialized huh...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had the chance to ride a Specialized Epic Comp some tonight. It was only a large so it was too small for me but I took it on and off some curb and such and I wasn't really all that impressed. Yes, it was very responsive, quick and light and the rear end was nice and stiff when I was standing up and hammering, because of the brain, I guess but it wasn't "all that".

I'm sure a long ride on some real trails would have been a better test but that wasn't a possibility. I just wasn't that impressed with the rear suspension in general. I also rode a new Stumpjumper Comp (HT) and it felt even quicker and more responsive and it was definitely lighter. Unfortunately it too was too small and they don't have any my size and no plans to order any of the largest size.

Looks like I'll have to order a bike no matter what and if that's the case I think I'll go with the Airborne Goblin. I'd order it right now and get the free shipping but I think I'll sleep on it, ride in the morning, and see how I feel.

I did just buy a bike for my wife so one bike purchase a day is enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    For flat out speed the HT are faster than the FS. Dang how tall are you that nobody has a big enough bike for you. You wont really be impresed in a parking lot even if you were riding a 10K bike Im sure. You seem to be doing it right and taking your time, dont rush into it (like I did) Ive had my bike for 4 months and I just dont like it and it kinda sucks when it comes to selling it because you know you will be losing out on some $$$. bought your wife a bike, sweet!! Thats good you both can ride together. Take your time and look for the right bike, but you do owe it to your body to get a FS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah. I'm only about 6'5" with a 36" inseam. Not a giant by any means... I was a bit annoyed when the LBS was talking about how they have over 300 Specialized bikes in stock they told me they have none my size.

The only reason I've been going on and on about Specialized is because that's the brand of my old bike and it's served me well for so many years. Plus, I want to support a local shop. I did get my wife a Specialized Myka Sport Disc. It's her first bike since she was a kid, heh. Really looking forward to riding with her.

Looking for an original rigid fork for my old Stumpjumper. Since it's just the derailleurs and shifters that are worn out I think I'm going to turn it into a rigid singlespeed when I get a new bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Have you looked into Trek? Bike World as a great selection Im sure you would find something there. Good guys over there too. Very nice and helpful. I bent my derailler and I took it in and they worked on it and bent it back the best they could. ( I ended up buying a new one a week later cause I had too) but they worked on and didnt charge me for it. VERY good group of guys over there, always willing to help you out. Give Trek & Bike World a shot Im sure they will make you a customer.

mtbr member
    I have rode my Trek HT at GC, and others places in SA. I don't have a problem with the HT. I'm sure a FS would feel a bit better, but a HT is more than capable. San Antonio doesn't really have much that calls for a FS.
    What did you put in that sandwich?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ^^^Same as above^^^

That being said, I would personally like to attack a lot of the trails around here on a FS more than my HT just for comfort. Majority of my riding buddies are either on FS 26s or 29ers and save the HTs for mtb road rides or places they know they can race a HT. They all ride FS majority of the time.

I'd go FS in your case.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the opinions! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

That said I think I'm leaning towards a HT instead of the FS but mostly because of the cost, and weight. I don't want to pay the big bucks it takes to get a really light FS bike. Especially since I just bought three round trip plane tickets and three five day passes to Disney! That'd have paid for the Epic Comp right there, lol!

Seriously, tho I did a nice ride with my wife yesterday. Her on her new mica and me on my vintage Stumpjumper and I think a 29er HT Will do the job. Yeah, I saw mostly FS bikes that other riders were on but using my "leg suspension" worked out just fine. I think a quality 29er HT will do the job.

Now to decide between the Goblin, the Stumpjumper Evo and the Stumpjumper comp...