mtbr member
    Jul 2012

PEDERNALES FALLS!! womp womp lol.

soo i went out to this park over the weekend and was a bit let down on the trail side of things. the upper part of the park (across the river) was rather tame. it had it's challenges but they were rather minor to be honest. the hiking/climbing was too much for the actual riding parts. i may be new to this, but i still say OP has the upper hand as far as these two trails go. also there was way too much sand on this trail. not dirt but actual sand. like beach sand.

as for the camping aspect, that was pretty fresh. it got waaay colder than expected tho lol. if you havent ever been here and plan on camping, watch out after sundown--SPIDERS COME OUT!! in full force, daddy long legs EVERYWHERE. kinda cool but kinda spooky too haha.

the river is a pretty dope spot to cool out, jus be weary as the rocks are slippery af. overall the trip was cool and a great learning experience (hadn't ever been non-car camping) but the MTB trails, idk. i havent been to many parks/trail systems but i think we got more fun trails closer to home (SATX).

cheers.

mtbr member
    Where is this place?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It's outside of Johnson City, maybe 45 min from Austin. I've been out there to walk around, but it didn't really strike me as a great place for riding.
    A warning: I only post when I've been drinking, unless it is during the day when I am distracted by more important things.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krellmachine View Post
    It's outside of Johnson City, maybe 45 min from Austin. I've been out there to walk around, but it didn't really strike me as a great place for riding.
    Used to live in marble falls ya I know where its at. I was just making sure it was the same one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i been hearing (reading) a lot of good things about Pace Bend, i wanna hit that up since it isn't too far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    and then perhaps Colorado Bend. now that place looks FUN.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm hoping to get out to Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort tomorrow. It's quite good-- well worth the drive if you're coming from San Antonio.
    A warning: I only post when I've been drinking, unless it is during the day when I am distracted by more important things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Krellmachine View Post
    I'm hoping to get out to Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort tomorrow. It's quite good-- well worth the drive if you're coming from San Antonio.
    yeah a friend of mine told me about Flat Rock. what's the terrain like?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyNinja137 View Post
    yeah a friend of mine told me about Flat Rock. what's the terrain like?
    Lots of limestone ledges. Rocky climbs and descents.

The camping area is nice, the showers are nice.

Jimmy and Terri are great hosts and support the community. They host a number of mtb events there throughout the year. It's definitely worth checking out.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Perdenales Falls is a great place to take beginners. The trails are pretty tame and like you said, the hang out at the river afterwards is great.

As for Flat Rock...that place is the shiznit. Lots of technical stuff and some pretty good downhills that will allow you to cut loose if you are a speed junkie.

They are closed for deer season and I think they open up again in mid January.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You can find flat rock detail on my site
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com