mtbr member
    Dec 2012

palo duro oct. 11 thru 14

me and some friends are driving out there for some camping and riding. anyone in the area or want to have a meet up and ride? will be our first time to do those trails

mtbr member
    I went to Palo Duro last April and spent a week in the park. Awesome trails, the canyon is beautiful. The trails are well marked and easy to fallow, just pick up a map at the HQ.

I found the best route was to start out on the lower canyon trails then take the Juniper trail to the Capital Peak Mountain Bike trail. After Capital Peak head up the Lighthouse trail and turn onto the GSL trail and ride that back to the camp ground.

If you have time ride the Rock Garden trail too. It's long steep climb to the top but a lot of fun on the way back down.

As for camping try to get a spot in the Hackberry camp ground.

mtbr member
    How was the trip? Thanks for posting up looking for some trail guidance. MTBR is obviously not as big in the Panhandle area as other areas of TX, but to all future users please continue to post up as our biking community is continuing to grow.

My favorite loop starts at the GSL Parking Lot. GSL ccw, Little Fox Loop, Lighthouse to connect with Inner Capital Loop, Rojo Grande to road to Rock Garden up & down, road back to Sunflower, Juniper Riverside, Juniper Cliffside, Outer Capital cw, Lighthouse to trailhead out & back to GSL Parking Lot. 27 miles, 2,800 ft.

Easier variations are to start at Chinaberry and complete everything once in a large cw direction. Approx 16-18 miles w/out Rock Garden. If you want to make it more difficult, you can always ride the road out at the end.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    had a blast out there, weather was great for two days, and rained on us the last day so we had to book early

first day, arrived at around 3pm (from Houston) and rode juniper cliff, sunflower, and rojo...pretty easy rides, but we weren't looking for gnar after a long trip...set up camp...woke up in the middle of the nite to piss, and motherfu$$, saw the most beautiful sky i have ever seen in my life...the moon had already disappeared, the campground pitch black, the entire sky clear and full of stars...i've never seen anything like it, i'm usually around electricity lighting up the area...i'm normally annoyed having to get up in the middle of the nite to unload my bladder, but this was worth it...and almost scary, not knowing what was lurking behind the treeline...also was the first time i heard a pack of coyotes howling

second day, woke up to clear and sunny...rode rock garden, and holy hell that trail saps all your energy...i just watched a video on youtube and the trail looked pretty smooth, but this weekend it was mostly covered with loose rock and gravel...the steep climbs/switchbacks were damn near impossible...even while seated my back tire would wash out, but the steep grade of the incline and my horrible climbing abilities kept me from keeping a steady cadence...after that, we had to head back to camp, eat a real heavy lunch after that workout, and take a nap
    ....we then headed to lighthouse and capitol peak...lighthouse is where you'd see the 3 consecutive drops that you'd find on youtube videos...we missed them until i recognized it on the way back so we had to have a couple turns launching off of them, naturally...by the time we got to capitol peak, we were beat, shadows of our former selves, legs tightening up and aching...one guy could barely even pedal on the downward slopes and then regret it as soon as there was a climb out...we made our way forlornly back to camp...our spirits were soon lifted as we celebrated our return with some beer, ribeyes, corn, potatoes, salad...and later on, cup o' noodle...for a brief moment in our lives, albeit extremely inaccurate, we felt like michael phelps after a training day

day 3, woke up to an overcast sky and a forecast of 40% rain...headed to GSL and cottonwood flats after a short rain delay...i would say GSL was my favorite trail out there, it had some short climbs rewarded with nice downhills...if we were in better shape, we'd have been able to enjoy this a little more...i was on my granny ring a lot...went back to finish off lunch, then the rain hit...forecast for the rest of the day looked like rain, so we decided to pack up and head back home...but not before: the big texan steak ranch - home to the 72oz. steak...on any other day after our ride, we each could have probably ordered one, but time was not on our side, and we had a 9 hour drive ahead of us...i had another glorious ribeye dinner, replete with mushrooms, fried okra, bread, tomatoes and onion...it was flavored well, but i thought the cut was a little thin, and unevenly cooked, so the filet was medium, but the trim was actually med. rare and perfect...the joint itself is a tourist trap, but i think was worth the stop...can't find too many places that can sell all that for 22 bucks

it's been a while since i've gone camping and been able to sit, cook, eat, piss, and sleep outside and just shoot the $hit for a whole evening...and add some riding to that and it was an all around awesome, good time

my only gripes, if one can call them as such, is that the trail map wasn't accurate (entrance to juniper cliffside not on the map, or labelled at the trailhead where the map showed it was supposed to be; and smaller parts of the trail where there were forks not shown with one fork leading to a completely different trail)...and the 9 hour drive and horrible gas mileage from towing a trailer full of camping gear and bikes

other than that, damn near perfection

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you had a good time. Thanks for the write up. Come back and see it any time you want to make the drive. Other restaurants to check out in Amarillo are 575 Pizza, Coyote Cafe (Best Burger in Panhandle), Blue Sky (Another Good Burger Place), or O.H.M.S. for Bomb Elk Tenderloin ($$)
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    We were there from October 4 to October 8 this. Funny. Sounds like you guys got there a few days after we left. For us the weather was perfect every single day. We missed the rainy days which was very good. We got to ride all the trails. The GSL was else my favorite... rode it three times. Overall the trails were awesome and since we enjoy camping a lot, it was a perfect gateway.

Here are some videos that I shot while riding with

Camping Trip to Palo Duro Canyon State Park - YouTube