Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Old guy FS recommendation

Ok... I'm 43... Is that old?

My wife has ok'd an upgrade over the winter so I'm gonna replace my 2010 Spec Rockhopper Elite 29er.

I want to go 27.5, full squish. I'm a trail rider, not too aggressive... thinking $3k max, cheaper is better, 2x10, and bright colors are a plus. The Scott Genius 740 looks promising as a data point. I'm gonna try to demo some as I can so I'm curious what other bikes you'all would steer me towards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    First of all, your age is right in the middle of most mountain bikers. How many young people do you know that can afford a $3000 bike? With possible upgrades down the line. I'm 44 and am far from the oldest rider I know.

That Scott is a good bike but it has a couple of shortcomings. It comes with three suspension settings. That means it is far from a set and forget type of bike. That's alright for some people who like to fiddle with their bikes, but personally I like to get it dialed in and not mess with it. It also doesn't come with a clutch derailleur which means you will have more dropped chains and your chainstays will get pitted and nicked up faster. Plus it has the Twin Lock system on it. This locks out both the front and rear suspension when you don't need them via a switch on your handlebars. That's just more handlebar clutter that I will rarely use. Don't get me wrong, the Scott is a good bike, but there are other options out there.

The Giant Trance 2 is a good choice. Clutch rear derailleur, Giant's killer Maestro rear suspension set up and comes in about $2550.

The Trek Fuel EX7 is another good choice. Clutch rear derailleur, available everywhere and you see loads of them for a good reason, they are good bikes.

Santa Cruz Superlight This is the entry level Santa Cruz bike. Most of them tend to start right around 3000-3200 and go way up from there, but this is their entry level bike. Santa Cruz doesn't put out bad bikes. Ever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I would start my search by finding all of my friends with bikes in my range. For a 6-pack per ride you can probably find out 95% of what you need to know by studying the things you like about some and dislike about others. Then from there look for shops that have demos of the bikes with traits that you like in your range. Some will charge for demos others will not, but it is worth it to pay a bit up front if it means knowing for sure whether it is the right one or not
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    MrMentallo I couldn't have explained any different. I'm 41 and after demoing the fuel I went with the Trance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the replies. I was just trying to be a smartelec on the age thing...

As far as bikes... that's the stuff i was hoping to learn. The Trance and the Fuel were already on my short list so its good to see those recommended. I'll go look at the Superlight. I don't know much about clutch derailleurs so that gives me something to go read up on and look for.

The few friends I have that ride are on entry level hardtails... or pretty old bikes. Trying to judge anything by their bikes is difficult, at best. My hope is that Dorba hosts a few more demo-days within the next few months and I can give some a ride.

mtbr member
    i wouldn't worry about specs. i'd focus on suspension characteristics. you'll definitely feel differences there and have a favorite. parts will wear, break or upgrade over time but the sus design will be set. my 2c