mtbr member

North texas tire selection.

What are you guys running for tires on the north texas trails? The mountain kings 2.4's that came on my new bike are overkill for this area. Slow rollers for sure but hook up on everything.

My go to trails are northshore, boulder, big cedar RCP and river legacy. But tend to travel all over to hit a good portion of the dorba trail list when I can. So just trying to find a good all around tire. Riding a salsa horse thief 29.

I have been eyeing the maxis ikon. If anyone can shed some light on how they work around here that would be awesome. All other suggestions welcome too!
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I just had my first ride on a new set of Bronsons. Like them a lot more than the Racing Ralphs that came on my bike new.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

North texas tire selection.

There are at least 2 other threads just a hair down the page covering this that you should definitely check out, lots of good info.

I'm running a 2.3 specialized ground control and 2.2 Geax saguaro on my FS bike. My SS currently has a 2.35 WTB Weirwolf and a 2.2 Geax AKA. I don't recommend the AKA, wears way too fast IMO. I like the high volume tires a lot, and really like how easy the Specialized tire was to air up, even with a floor pump. Geax is god for the money, but seems to wear fast. Maxxis is too lose on the bead for my wheels and I haven't had good luck.

Bead tightness is probably the biggest factor for me right now. Tires tend to stretch and once that happens my Giant PcX2 wheels just start burping like crazy.

I highly recommend checking out these three articles about tire selection in Texas.

http://www.texasmountainbiketrails.c...ke-tire-width/
    http://www.texasmountainbiketrails.c...in-bike-tires/
    http://www.texasmountainbiketrails.c...and-ust-tires/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.