mtbr member
    May 2004

North Central Texas

Where are the best trails (XC) within 1 - 2 hours drive from Witchita Falls? If there is one place you would recommend what would it be? You can PM me if you prefer. I tried Dorba but their site is under renovation. THANK YOU!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    North Shore at Lake Grapevine is a great trail. It's probably one of the easiest to get to coming from Wichita Falls, too.

mtbr member
    Erwin park off of 380 in McKinney. Probably on the verge of your 2 hour drive time. If you go three hours I would recommend Big Cedar.

mtbr member
    Wichita Falls has a fun trail within the city. We always parked at the Texoma cycling store and jumped on the trail, or at the Texas visitor center parking lot off the highway and went into the YMCA (?)/ boyscout gate.

If you drive 1 1/2 hours south you can ride here at PK. It's all rocky and steep though.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yeah umm I think you have the best trail in that area right there in Wichita Falls. There's ok riding north into Oklahoma---Ft Sill and vicinity.

meh
    if you are looking for somewhere to ride other than the trail in Wichita Falls, here is a map with a bunch more with info here

dorbas site is under more than just a renovation, dont expect it to be up for a few months

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thank you everyone!!!!! I rode the Witchita trail this week. It was fun, especially with all the updates from that last time rode there - 6 yrs ago.

Steep and rocky is a good thing. I'm from MA which is primarily steep, rocky and rooty.

I appreciate all of your inputs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am going to be racing in the HHH next weekend and have never ridden the Wee-Chi-Taw. Should I make it a point to pre ride or should I be ok. I always like to be prepared and will probably lose sleep over this. I routinely ride north-shore, how do the two trails compare? Sorry to thread jack. any pointers would be appreciated.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you are losing sleep over a hobby, I think you might want to rethink what is supposed to be fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So you're telling me that no one gets anxious before a race?

Does anyone have any useful advice? Specifically about the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No one? I don't know, but I don't. I ride to have fun. I learned to let go of ego a long long time ago when it comes to sports.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiway View Post
    No one? I don't know, but I don't. I ride to have fun. I learned to let go of ego a long long time ago when it comes to sports.
    You're so wise! Thanks for the amazing advice. My life has been change forever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.C View Post
    You're so wise! Thanks for the amazing advice. My life has been change forever.
    The word sarcasm has roots in the peeling of the flesh from the body.

Thanks for the kind words... Nice to know you are a "neighbor" also.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Compared to a lot of rock strewn, drop-laden trails that Austin has, weechitaw is a fun change of pace. While I did not race but solely poached the trail a year ago, I can say the trail is challenging and fun and really not nothing you will NEED to preride. Now if ya wanna know where every climb and turn is, then go for it !

PS pretty sure I have a video of the trails ina thread here.........

I am going to be racing in the HHH next weekend and have never ridden the Wee-Chi-Taw. Should I make it a point to pre ride or should I be ok. I always like to be prepared and will probably lose sleep over this. I routinely ride north-shore, how do the two trails compare? Sorry to thread jack. any pointers would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Compared to a lot of rock strewn, drop-laden trails that Austin has, weechitaw is a fun change of pace. While I did not race but solely poached the trail a year ago, I can say the trail is challenging and fun and really not nothing you will NEED to preride. Now if ya wanna know where every climb and turn is, then go for it !

PS pretty sure I have a video of the trails ina thread here.........
    Thanks man, I am going to get there a day early and may try and put around it so I can play on the technical sections. On race day I am not going to be riding at a race pace (atleast that is the plan).

mtbr member
    It's a really fun trail, but I agree with ArmySlowRdr....there is no real need to pre-ride. I haven't been there in a couple years, but last time we rode it there was maybe 1-2 spots that'll catch you off guard. But, for the most part, if you keep your head up and look ahead of where you are, you'll clear pretty much everything no problem. There is one place that used to have a bridge, but then last time I was there the bridge was gone, and you had to ride down and back out...it threw me off the back of the bike

It's a real fun trail. You'll enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am not an expert on the WT but I rode a good part of it the other day for the first time in6 yrs. Take it easy in the corners if there is light rain or it has rained. The clay gets slippery like riding on wet snow. Most of you are probably all too familiar with riding clay though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The trail was fast and fun, not a lot of tech sections. The entire trail is well labeled but the double black diamonds and such are not true. There is nothing on that trail tha I would consider a black diamond. There is one rocky steep section and one drop that I had to think about. It was a fun trail though, I look forward to riding it again next year.

Hiway, thanks for the negative rep that you gave me. You said tit for tat but I do not give out negative rep without signing it, unlike yourself, and no I will not retaliate with negative rep in your "tit for tat" fashion.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Glad you found the trail enjoyable....

The trail was fast and fun, not a lot of tech sections. The entire trail is well labeled but the double black diamonds and such are not true. There is nothing on that trail tha I would consider a black diamond. There is one rocky steep section and one drop that I had to think about. It was a fun trail though, I look forward to riding it again next year.

Hiway, thanks for the negative rep that you gave me. You said tit for tat but I do not give out negative rep without signing it, unlike yourself, and no I will not retaliate with negative rep in your "tit for tat" fashion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The DORBA trails and status thread is still pretty useful, at least until the new site is up:
    (gah, can't post links yet... just go to the main MeetUp page for DORBA, click discussions and then the Trails and Status link)

Also keep the clinics in mind for some good times if you're coming down to the DFW area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The trails around lake Ray Roberts sound pretty legit, however i have no personal experience on them. Right outside of Denton