Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Dirt Squirt
    Dec 2012
    Anyone up for a ride at Walnut Creek tonight at 6:30pm?

Thanks,
    Jose

random ride instigator
    Had a great ride! weather was perfect too. Planning on doing the LAME ride on Jan 2nd if you want to give it another try. If not i'll give u another heads up when i'm up there again. Merry Christmas!

dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Had a great ride! weather was perfect too. Planning on doing the LAME ride on Jan 2nd if you want to give it another try. If not i'll give u another heads up when i'm up there again. Merry Christmas!

dave
    I should be back from the holiday trip by then. I'll try to keep the schedule open!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I will be out with the LAME crew tomorrow, I'll be on a black pivot with a lefty

random ride instigator
    I'll be rolling in in my Swagger Wagon (mini-van) with NC plates and a SC Highball for a steed. looking forward to it! anybody up for Mexican food and a beer after that's my post ride plan.

dave

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Here was my experience for what it's worth:

I went last night, armed with a cooler of brews and pizza money. I showed up and parked with the group. Once set to go, I rolled up to the group. Not a word was said to me, no introductions, etc.

No prob...I assumed these guys would likely chat things up during the ride.

Having never ridden there before, I expected a random "heads up" or warning if anything sketchy was coming. Nope. Just total silence aside from some heavy breathing and a quick pace.

Terrain was cool, and tons of fun switchbacks. A few nice drops along the way (of which I was sure to jump off of to lighten things up a bit).

After some climbs, the cold started really bothering my asthma. I kept pushing for awhile figuring there would be a stop soon since this was supposedly a "no drop ride". I soon found myself wondering how this could be a "no drop ride" if they never stopped to see if anyone was struggling.

On one of the climbs, my rear X-King spun out so I pulled off to the side. Unfortunately, the poor guy behind me lost his momentum so he had to stop. Same for the guy behind him. Yup, I was "that guy" on that climb. (sorry guys)

We all stopped for a second and I took the opportunity to ask for where any good drop-out spots were since my asthma was acting up. I was told, "just go the way we came in". Mind you, we had taken a handful of lefts and rights at high speed and I'm presumably heading back solo. Before I can ask for any trail names, everyone is off again. Nobody asked if I was ok or if I had an inhaler or anything. Oh well...

Long story short, I eventually made it back to the car ok. I didn't bother sticking around for pizza and beers afterwards.

Nothing against those guys and no hard feelings. That ride/group just isn't for me.

Back in NH, all the groups I rode in were always fun and relaxed. The night rides weren't for race training....they were for goofing off and fooling around. That's the sort of vibe I'm looking for here in Austin. Get me on a trail, let's bomb down some trails, and then grab a few beers at the trailhead.

(This post isn't meant as a dig against the LAME group. Just sharing my experience.)
    Man- really sorry to hear about the bad experience. I do that ride just about every week, and have for 18 months or so. Great group of guys; my guess is you hit the night in December that I or one of the other usual leaders was not there, and it was just the hammer heads. We typically break into two or three groups, and only the fast group will drop.

Be great for you to come out again- PM me here or on MoJo (I have the same alias both places) so I can make sure I am there that week.
    Yeti SB-95a Black

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bacon Jr View Post
    Man- really sorry to hear about the bad experience. I do that ride just about every week, and have for 18 months or so. Great group of guys; my guess is you hit the night in December that I or one of the other usual leaders was not there, and it was just the hammer heads. We typically break into two or three groups, and only the fast group will drop.

Be great for you to come out again- PM me here or on MoJo (I have the same alias both places) so I can make sure I am there that week.
    Thx for the response! I'll be sure to ping you and give that ride another shot.

random ride instigator
    Gonna ride out in Lakeway this Tues evening if anyone is game. Will be there @ 6, but could be there a little earlier if u can.

dave

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3