Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow View Post
    not really, everyone meets every wednesday at the canyon lands trailhead on trophy drive (by the swimming pool) around 6. The ride leaves at 615. Half a pizza is $5 ...BYOB
    Although I have some late meetings tomorrow and won't be able to make it, I'll definitely be there next week armed with cash and some tasty brews.

Thanks again for the info!

mtbr member
    Guess I need a light now!

sent from my galaxy tab 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post
    Guess I need a light now!

Be sure to check out the great 2013 light review they just posted here at MTBR. They're also going to be covering the Gloworm X2. Sick light for ~$200.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    there is a facebook page : Lakeway Area Mountain Bike Enthusiasts

otherwise known as the LAME crew

random ride instigator
    New to Texas and am in Austin for work once a week, would love to join a night ride! Where is canyon lake trail head? I've been doing Barton Springs solo and have Seen only one or 2 riders. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My site has all of the info. Canyon Lake is also known as "Madrone trail" and is about an hour south of Austin. I just posted some new pictures this week.

Http://www.austinbike.com
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

random ride instigator
    Thanks Austin-Bike and great web-site! Just to clarify, does the Wed night ride meet at this site or at lakeway?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'll be trying out tonight's ight ride with the L.A.M.E group.

I'll be sure to bring some tasty post-ride brews and some $$ for pizza.

random ride instigator
    my bad, looked at the previous post from super slow. Will plan on hitting lakeway nxt Wed night!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    my bad, looked at the previous post from super slow. Will plan on hitting lakeway nxt Wed night!
    Here was my experience for what it's worth:

I went last night, armed with a cooler of brews and pizza money. I showed up and parked with the group. Once set to go, I rolled up to the group. Not a word was said to me, no introductions, etc.

No prob...I assumed these guys would likely chat things up during the ride.

Having never ridden there before, I expected a random "heads up" or warning if anything sketchy was coming. Nope. Just total silence aside from some heavy breathing and a quick pace.

Terrain was cool, and tons of fun switchbacks. A few nice drops along the way (of which I was sure to jump off of to lighten things up a bit).

After some climbs, the cold started really bothering my asthma. I kept pushing for awhile figuring there would be a stop soon since this was supposedly a "no drop ride". I soon found myself wondering how this could be a "no drop ride" if they never stopped to see if anyone was struggling.

On one of the climbs, my rear X-King spun out so I pulled off to the side. Unfortunately, the poor guy behind me lost his momentum so he had to stop. Same for the guy behind him. Yup, I was "that guy" on that climb. (sorry guys)

We all stopped for a second and I took the opportunity to ask for where any good drop-out spots were since my asthma was acting up. I was told, "just go the way we came in". Mind you, we had taken a handful of lefts and rights at high speed and I'm presumably heading back solo. Before I can ask for any trail names, everyone is off again. Nobody asked if I was ok or if I had an inhaler or anything. Oh well...

Long story short, I eventually made it back to the car ok. I didn't bother sticking around for pizza and beers afterwards.

Nothing against those guys and no hard feelings. That ride/group just isn't for me.

Back in NH, all the groups I rode in were always fun and relaxed. The night rides weren't for race training....they were for goofing off and fooling around. That's the sort of vibe I'm looking for here in Austin. Get me on a trail, let's bomb down some trails, and then grab a few beers at the trailhead.

(This post isn't meant as a dig against the LAME group. Just sharing my experience.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    Here was my experience for what it's worth:

I went last night, armed with a cooler of brews and pizza money. I showed up and parked with the group. Once set to go, I rolled up to the group. Not a word was said to me, no introductions, etc.

No prob...I assumed these guys would likely chat things up during the ride.

Having never ridden there before, I expected a random "heads up" or warning if anything sketchy was coming. Nope. Just total silence aside from some heavy breathing and a quick pace.

Terrain was cool, and tons of fun switchbacks. A few nice drops along the way (of which I was sure to jump off of to lighten things up a bit).

After some climbs, the cold started really bothering my asthma. I kept pushing for awhile figuring there would be a stop soon since this was supposedly a "no drop ride". I soon found myself wondering how this could be a "no drop ride" if they never stopped to see if anyone was struggling.

On one of the climbs, my rear X-King spun out so I pulled off to the side. Unfortunately, the poor guy behind me lost his momentum so he had to stop. Same for the guy behind him. Yup, I was "that guy" on that climb. (sorry guys)

We all stopped for a second and I took the opportunity to ask for where any good drop-out spots were since my asthma was acting up. I was told, "just go the way we came in". Mind you, we had taken a handful of lefts and rights at high speed and I'm presumably heading back solo. Before I can ask for any trail names, everyone is off again. Nobody asked if I was ok or if I had an inhaler or anything. Oh well...

Long story short, I eventually made it back to the car ok. I didn't bother sticking around for pizza and beers afterwards.

Nothing against those guys and no hard feelings. That ride/group just isn't for me.

Back in NH, all the groups I rode in were always fun and relaxed. The night rides weren't for race training....they were for goofing off and fooling around. That's the sort of vibe I'm looking for here in Austin. Get me on a trail, let's bomb down some trails, and then grab a few beers at the trailhead.

(This post isn't meant as a dig against the LAME group. Just sharing my experience.)
    Lmao better man then i am.....sorry about your crappy ride. If you want to havea relaxed fun ride hit me up. Theres a group of us that ride during the weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbraceTheHate View Post

Lmao better man then i am.....sorry about your crappy ride. If you want to havea relaxed fun ride hit me up. Theres a group of us that ride during the weekend.

Sounds good man! I'll see how things are looking for this weekend and let you know.
    I have an extra light you can borrow if you want to try night riding someplace like Walnut Creek one night too.

random ride instigator
    Dude, i know that wasn't a fun experience but your description of the evening was hilarious! Anyways, if your game nxt Wed night, im up for a Lakeway redo or Walnut or whatever.I have not ridden either one and will need some basic directions to the trail head and a time. let me know man

dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Dude, i know that wasn't a fun experience but your description of the evening was hilarious! Anyways, if your game nxt Wed night, im up for a Lakeway redo or Walnut or whatever.I have not ridden either one and will need some basic directions to the trail head and a time. let me know man

dave
    I wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me...

Unfortunately, I need to fly out to Santa Clara for work M-W next week. Maybe we can get a night ride in the following week.

random ride instigator
    Sounds good man, will let you know when i'll be up there the following week. have a good trip, you will be super close to the birth place of MTB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've been aching to do some nightrides, just haven't trusted any of the really rocky trails that i've ridden so far at night.Walnut would be a breeze at night, let me know if you guys want to hit up walnut for a night ride soon, as long as you don't have a problem with me slowing you down (aka im slow as fk).
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post
    I've been aching to do some nightrides, just haven't trusted any of the really rocky trails that i've ridden so far at night.Walnut would be a breeze at night, let me know if you guys want to hit up walnut for a night ride soon, as long as you don't have a problem with me slowing you down (aka im slow as fk).
    Sounds good man. Ideally, I'd like a nice and relaxed pace with a lap or two around the BMX loop (not the pump track, but the slick rollers on the actual trail).

We should aim for a ride next week!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    cool deal man, my old man took my magicshine back to houston and hasn't brought it back so I've only got a dinky lil 200 lumen or so niterider
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I would be up for an every other week night ride at Dana Peak.

Dirt Squirt
    Dec 2012
    Having two kiddos I'm definitely up for some night time rides. I'll stay tuned to this thread.

Thursday nights are best for me.

-Josť

random ride instigator
    Gonna be in working in Austin on Tues, planning on staying out towards Lakeway and am planning a night ride out there. Let me know Pelly or anyone else who is interested.

Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Gonna be in working in Austin on Tues, planning on staying out towards Lakeway and am planning a night ride out there. Let me know Pelly or anyone else who is interested.

Dave
    I won't know for certain until tomorrow around noon since work is crazy with CES prep. What time were you thinking?

random ride instigator
    I can be @ the trail head as early as 5:30, let me know what works, i'm pretty flexible as long as it is after 5:00. hope you can break away man

dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I can be @ the trail head as early as 5:30, let me know what works, i'm pretty flexible as long as it is after 5:00. hope you can break away man

dave
    BTW, do you know the trails at Lakeway? I only had that one (brief) experience with the trails there...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Despite my best efforts, I'm booked on conference calls up through 8pm tonight (APAC).

This time of year is crazy with everyone trying to get everything ready for CES before the Christmas break.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast