Church of the Bike

New XC series kicks off 3/1 @ Northshore

New Series kicks off. It's going to be fun and damned fine racing. Please spread the word. The full NS loop to just before Twin Coves for Expert and Advanced, Sport (Cat 3) turns around at MADD.

https://www.bikereg.com/net/lonestarns

Lone Star XC

https://www.facebook.com/LoneStarXC

Church of the Bike
    No license required, discount for online registration.

Team Livemedium
    What's wrong with racing TMBRA and supporting them? I don't really see why anyone would come along and try to challenge or undermine them and the great things they do?
    This only confuses and divides riders and course owners all over the state. You surely must be doing this for the money.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Bamwa, I'm one of the promoters for this series and I'm sorry that you feel this way.

We are in no way trying to hurt the turnout or experience that TMBRA provides. They put together great XC races that are a blast to race in.

We just want to give our local DFW riders an option. Traveling to races adds up quick, gas and food plus hotels or camping. Your looking at a $100+ weekend before race fees. Not to mention the time investment that it takes.

Our Lone Star XC series was put together for our local racers who don't have the option to travel around the state to race TMBRA.

When TMBRA comes to DFW in May I will be right there on that start line with you supporting what they do.

No confusion here that I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

Church of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    What's wrong with racing TMBRA and supporting them? I don't really see why anyone would come along and try to challenge or undermine them and the great things they do?
    This only confuses and divides riders and course owners all over the state. You surely must be doing this for the money.

We completely encourage TMBRA racers to race the TMBRA events. The simple fact of the matter is that there are plenty of riders in the DFW area who have no interest in travelling for TMBRA events. We think those people will welcome an opportunity to race in the Spring and summer. We are actually structuring this series to be a developmental one for people who would like to hone their skills for higher level racing if that is their goal.

We see a real potential to build MTB racing interest throughout the state which should be good for all promoters and all venues. The facts are that the DFW racers want more racing options and we are hoping to deliver the experience they are looking for. I don't expect our series to have any negative impact on TMBRA, realistically it should increase the racing interest for future TMBRA events.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Yeah, I have no interest at all in traveling around Texas to follow an XC series. Local races or events that involve more than just races; festivals, endurance and parties for example. Nothing against TMBRA, that's just me.

Sent from my hammock
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Great idea. I raced for years and years then stopped I now race again but only at events where I can stay home drive less than 2 hours to get to, keep the family balance, etc.

Luckily for me, I'm Austin based and there are more events but when you look at DFW to Rocky Hill, Dripping Springs/MJ Classic, Pace Bend, Comfort, Abilene etc that's a good haul. In a short term TMBRA may suffer but I took 9 years off and then went and raced the local Dirt Remedy Series here and now I'm back at TMBRA events that I can manage by staying at home.

Team Livemedium
    Well sorry, I didn't see where it said this was a regional north Texas thing and didn't check out the venues. I just saw the name Lone Star XC and thought you all were going up against TMBRA which is a great organization that is fairly well established in Texas and could always use more help and participation if you had that kind of energy. What they pull off is kind of amazing. I've raced 3 seasons all over the state and been there and done that so now I stay more local or go hit NUE events on occasion. It did get a little expensive considering how many hours away some events can be. Good luck with your series.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey no worries man! I understand your original sentiments, without digging in it probably does look like we are trying to edge out the TMBRA guys. Reality is we are just tired of being jealous of our buddies getting to go out and race without us
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    cant wait!

Church of the Bike
    Scouted the race routes today...good grief, y'all are going to have a fun race! It's a long course with plenty of passing opportunities after the first couple of miles so don't be stupid out there. We want safe, clean racing. If someone is on your wheel early, let 'em by. This trail rewards a great mix of cardio abilities and technical skill.

The long route (Expert and Advanced) came out to 17.2 miles on the GPS and I was going slow so the GPS error is probably less than 10%. Let's call it 18.5 miles. That puts the Sport route at about 11.75 miles.

I've figured out multiple lead outs which should thin the field nicely before going into the singletrack full time. The lead out is pavement, singletrack and dirt road and could be as long as 2 miles depending on how many racers we do have. Plan accordingly for water bottles/etc. We WILL NOT have water hand ups but will most likely have a water station at the MADD Shelter (13 miles in for long, 7 miles in for short).

More details as we get closer. Please do preregister as early as possible. The better we know how many racers to expect the better the start and the entire race will be.

https://beta.bikereg.com/lonestarns

mtbr member
    Awesome...count me in for all these race events...happy to see a DFW XC race series! The TMBRA events are really great but there's never enough races close enough to DFW.