• 11-07-2012
    PinkFloyd
    New Tyler Trail - Lindsey Park
    About 9 miles, much of it fast and flowing with several good hills. Well marked. Very smooth compared to Tyler State Park. It's becoming the favorite area trail for many Tyler area riders.

    Lindsey Park is a City of Tyler park located on Spur 364 on the west side of town. Park at the lower softball fields. The trail entrance sign is right across the park road.

    A 4-hour endurance race is scheduled there for January 5 at 10AM.
  • 11-10-2012
    Pedigre
    PinkFloyd > Would you mind filling this out? Also, who's putting on the race?
  • 11-10-2012
    PinkFloyd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pedigre View Post
    PinkFloyd > Would you mind filling this out? Also, who's putting on the race?


    Lol. I filled out and submitted one of those forms about 10-12 days ago and have been wondering why it hasn't yet shown up. I was about to email the webmaster to check the status on it.

    The race on Jan 5 is a Tyler Bicycle Club event. The race starts at 10AM. The City of Tyler is doing an "official opening" ceremony at 9:30. Tyler Bicycle Club, Tyler, TX will have more details as the date approaches plus info on some one-lap time trials coming up soon on all four of the area trails.
  • 11-10-2012
    Pedigre
    lol you sure did. I'm going through many of the emails now playing catch up, and just saw yours for Lindsey Park, so thank you, I appreciate it! It should find its way on the site today.
  • 11-10-2012
    PinkFloyd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pedigre View Post
    lol you sure did. I'm going through many of the emails now playing catch up, and just saw yours for Lindsey Park, so thank you, I appreciate it! It should find its way on the site today.



    No worries.

    Let me know if you need any more info about the Lindsey trail. It's a good run that just keeps getting better as it sees more use. It's also easy for first-time visitors to navigate with nice signs (designed by yours truly and made by the city sign shop) at each intersection.

    I also gave you some updated information about Faulkner Park. It's been completely done for some time now and sees quite a bit of use. In fact, a significant expansion of that trail onto the land on the other side of Mud Creek with a variable-level bridge has been approved and is currently in the works.
  • 11-10-2012
    Pedigre
    Will do!

    When I first read your post, I thought, "Lindsey Park, Lindsey Park, that sounds familiar..." Even looked to see if I had started a listing that I never completed. lol

    Sounds good for Faulkner Park. With the increase in miles, is there a newer map than we have?
  • 11-10-2012
    PinkFloyd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Pedigre View Post
    Will do!

    When I first read your post, I thought, "Lindsey Park, Lindsey Park, that sounds familiar..." Even looked to see if I had started a listing that I never completed. lol

    Sounds good for Faulkner Park. With the increase in miles, is there a newer map than we have?

    I'll check to see if I can scrounge up a current map on Faulkner. I think I've changed phones since I last tracked it.
  • 11-11-2012
    bike_Ninja
    Sweet. With 3 trails in the area, it sounds like a weekend trip should be planned.

    Tyler State Park is one of my backup trails when it rains elsewhere. Does Lindsey Park dry as quickly as Tyler State Park?
  • 11-11-2012
    PinkFloyd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bike_Ninja View Post
    Sweet. With 3 trails in the area, it sounds like a weekend trip should be planned.

    Tyler State Park is one of my backup trails when it rains elsewhere. Does Lindsey Park dry as quickly as Tyler State Park?

    Four trails if you count what they put in at the University of Texas at Tyler.

    Lindsey drains as quickly or likely even more quickly than Tyler State Park.
  • 11-11-2012
    CBRsteve
    Shoot, I wish I'd read about this sooner. I was just up at Tyler for the TMBRA race weekend. I'd have stopped off at Lindsey for a quick lap had I know this was there!

    Sounds like Tyler is becoming a hot spot for mountain biking, good to see all the trail development.
  • 11-11-2012
    PinkFloyd
  • 11-13-2012
    CBRsteve
    Any idea on the elevation change for the full 9 mile loop? This race is sounding more and more interesting...
  • 11-13-2012
    PinkFloyd
    If the charting with my Samsung S3 using MyTracks is any good, the elevation chart shows the start/finish at about 400ft, a low point of about 305ft, and highest point on the trail at 475ft.
  • 11-14-2012
    Starview
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
    If the charting with my Samsung S3 using MyTracks is any good, the elevation chart shows the start/finish at about 400ft, a low point of about 305ft, and highest point on the trail at 475ft.

    I think he is asking for the total elevation change. Not my ride but:

    connect.garmin.com/activity/237092049
  • 11-14-2012
    PinkFloyd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Starview View Post
    I think he is asking for the total elevation change. Not my ride but:

    connect.garmin.com/activity/237092049

    Thanks!
  • 11-23-2012
    bike_Ninja
    IMO, this is a must visit trail if you're in the area and have the time.

    The soil is like Tyler State Park, mostly having the sand and soil composition but no roots ( a few extended sandy sections will be burners in the summer). Like PinkFloyd mentioned, it is a well-marked flowy style trail; you can take it as slow or fast as you'd like.

    The trail is stacked loop style, with loops A-D and optional "expert sections" (about a kilometer of them) on the return sections.

    For Dallas-ites, loop A is close to OCNP style with short climbs. Loops B-D are more Boulder-esque type climbs (again, without the rocks). The expert sections are advanced and longer versions of the dip sections at LBH.
  • 11-26-2012
    Bills10HR
    I have to agree, they have done a great job with this trail, the new signs have made it much easier to navigate as well. When is the next work day?
  • 11-26-2012
    PinkFloyd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bike_Ninja View Post
    IMO, this is a must visit trail if you're in the area and have the time.

    The soil is like Tyler State Park, mostly having the sand and soil composition but no roots ( a few extended sandy sections will be burners in the summer). Like PinkFloyd mentioned, it is a well-marked flowy style trail; you can take it as slow or fast as you'd like.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bills10HR View Post
    I have to agree, they have done a great job with this trail, the new signs have made it much easier to navigate as well. When is the next work day?

    I really appreciate the positive comments (especially about the trail signs - designed, assembled and installed by yours truly along with help from David Hartmann, one of our trail stewards).

    David and I were out there this afternoon finishing our flagging of a whole new trail section (an addition to C Loop). It should add about another mile and has some interesting terrain that should be fun. We'll be starting to clear that very soon. Of course, I'll have to re-do those darn trail maps I had made.:bluefrown:

    Our next work day is Saturday December 8, meeting in the parking area at 11:45AM. Among other things, we'll be focusing on taking down the last few pesky "mini stumps" (the ones I marked bright yellow last Monday). Please feel free to come. Bring a sharp shovel and pair of loppers if you have some.

    Thanks!
  • 12-02-2012
    TxMatt
    PinkFloyd,

    How long will you be working on the trail this weekend? I might be able to stop by and put a couple of hours in taking those stumps out.
  • 12-02-2012
    PinkFloyd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TxMatt View Post
    PinkFloyd,

    How long will you be working on the trail this weekend? I might be able to stop by and put a couple of hours in taking those stumps out.


    We'll meet up in the parking lot at 11:45AM on the 8th.

    That would be great if you can join us.

  • 12-10-2012
    PinkFloyd
    The trails improvement day on the 8th was excellent with 22 folks working that afternoon.

    Thank you Bills10HR for joining us. I look forward to riding with you out there.

    We'll be having another group effort at Lindsey next Saturday (12/15) at 9am. Members of the All Saints' School Bike Club will be helping us.
  • 12-11-2012
    Bills10HR
    I had a good time and met some new people, always a good thing. My wife and I rode the track on Sunday (before I got your text) and it was great. I hadn't rode it since the changes you made and it flows great. I might be able to make it this Saturday it all depends, my wife was working last Saturday so I was free.
  • 12-11-2012
    PinkFloyd
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bills10HR View Post
    I had a good time and met some new people, always a good thing. My wife and I rode the track on Sunday (before I got your text) and it was great. I hadn't rode it since the changes you made and it flows great. I might be able to make it this Saturday it all depends, my wife was working last Saturday so I was free.

    Thanks Bill. We rode it Sunday, but had to cut it short (skipped C/D) due to the weather. I had just gotten my bike loaded and jumped into the truck when "the bottom fell out".

    If you can make it Saturday, great. If not, no worries. We'll get done what we can on the new Loop C extension.
  • 12-15-2012
    PinkFloyd
    We had an excellent crew (several students and a few teachers) from All Saints' School come and help us this morning. We broke up into small crews and went to work on the expansion of C Loop that David H. and I had previously flagged.

    Later, we had a couple of TBC guys join in the efforts (thanks Mike H. and Earl D.). By mid-afternoon, David, Earl and I hung in there and finished up the entire route, adding almost another 3/4 mile to the trail. It is ride-worthy with some really interesting sections to enjoy.:thumbsup:

    Trail map will be updated in the next few days, once I have a chance to go out and GPS it.
  • 12-18-2012
    TxMatt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
    We had an excellent crew (several students and a few teachers) from All Saints' School come and help us this morning. We broke up into small crews and went to work on the expansion of C Loop that David H. and I had previously flagged.

    Later, we had a couple of TBC guys join in the efforts (thanks Mike H. and Earl D.). By mid-afternoon, David, Earl and I hung in there and finished up the entire route, adding almost another 3/4 mile to the trail. It is ride-worthy with some really interesting sections to enjoy.:thumbsup:

    Trail map will be updated in the next few days, once I have a chance to go out and GPS it.

    I rode the new section on Sunday afternoon and loved it! One of these days I will be able to help out.