mtbr member

New respect for Big Cedar

I am an intermediate rider, usually riding Rowlett Creek up near Dallas. Monday I went with a friend to Big Cedar for the first time and we rode the white, Ranger Trail. I ride a full-rigid cro-moly bike, let me first say. Second, while I am in shape, I did not know the course so I attacked it full-throttle from the start; every climb I attacked with vengeance. What caught me by surprise is by the time I got to around section 9 or 10, there was this LONG climb and half-way I had to dismount and cool down. After 10 minutes I was back on track.

One thing I learned, you have to know a course and your limitations before you attempt to attack it. I had not eaten much for breakfast, it was 95-degrees and I was not pacing myself. I literally burned out and had to rest to recoup.

I mention this because if someone gets into trouble far into a trail, it's not always easy to get to medical attention. In the Texas heat, it is so important to pay attention to your heart rate, pace your ride, drink lots of fluids and be smart!

Big Cedar is beautiful. The Church does an amazing job, there are clean restrooms and showers, just a great place.

JB

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I need to go check out that place!

mtbr member
    If you think Ranger is cool, wait until you check out the loops off of Ranger. SXSW loops off of Ranger at about the 1/2 mile mark and is the coolest loop in the Metro IMO. Copperhead is fun, SOS is a blast and finish it off on Texas Sunset. Throw in some of the other loops the next ride or just hit them all in the same day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Give credit also to Shadow for a job well-done. He is the trail master of the Big Cedar...friendly, helpful and hard working. If you see him on the trail doing some trail maintenance...you've got to say hi or talk to him.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    just rode out there for the 1st time today and it was a blast, although that long uphill climb about killed both me and my dad....lol... going to have to go back and hit some of the other loops.......

BTW...if anyone out there finds a pair of crystal black Oakley Twenties in the parking lot, PM me, those would be mine...
    Santa Cruz Superlight RXC.

mtbr member
    I just got my new bike today, a Cannondale Trail 6. I was on a full-rigid before and can't wait to ride with front suspension, especially at Big Cedar.

Yeah, that climb is something else. All kidding aside, I am in good shape and I felt the early onset of heat exhaustion, just because I was killing that trail before the climb.

Big cedar will put the humble pants on you for sure, if you're not used to it. :-)

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    heck, I work outside all day on the Tarmac at the airport, and I was like "oh heck no"...had to take a breather and drink some water...

when do you plan on going again?
    Santa Cruz Superlight RXC.