mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Need a rec for a weekend mtb camping trip.

The gf is up for a camping trip so I figured I'd turn it into a mtb trip too. We are located just North of Houston in Conroe. We were originally planning on going to Tyler State Park but it's supposed to rain.

Any other suggestions guys?

We both ride HT and we both have done double lake, huntsville, anthills, and all the other local spots.

Finally, while I have your attention, if you have a Giant Trance you'd like to sell (29er, size L), let me know.

Thanks guys,
    Kyle

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Lake Houston Park and Livingston State Park come to mind.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    I live near Lake Houston Wilderness Park and ride it often. Some of the trails are in rough shape due to downed trees. It is rideable but you will be throwing the bikes over dead pines fairly often. Honestly Double Lakes is the best I have found in this area. The trails there are very well taken care of. Have you checked out anything out in the Hill Country? That is what I am itching to try.

Texbiker, what are the trails like in the Livingston State Park?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have not been to Livingston State Park for several years so I am not sure. The last time we went I was not looking for trails so I am not sure. I was thinking more along the camping line. They have camping shelters looking over the lake.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    maybe pace bend park near austin. It is closer than tyler state park, has camping and hills

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'll start my research once I get outta work. I'm in Conroe and while I'm not the words best mtbr I'm happy to accompany anyone should they need a riding buddy.

-Kyle

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My State Park favorites are Tyler, and Palo Duro Canyon.

Other places you my check on are Flat Rock Ranch (Comfort), Reveile Peak Ranch (Burnett), Solovaca Ranch (Glen Rose), Rocky Hill Ranch (Smithville). These are all private places, but they offer nice camping, and excellent riding. Some may be closed for hunting season. Google will find all of their sites.

Closer to you is Double Lake. There's a US Forrest service campground there that seesm nice.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Lake Murray. It's a bit of a drive but totally worth it. Best camping and riding I have had in a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Tyler State Park handles rain REEEEAAALLY well. Not sure what the actual forecast is, but it would likely be rideable even with a little rain today or tomorrow.

Rocky Hill Ranch, Reveille Peak Ranch and Bluff Creek Ranch would all be pretty good places to go as well.
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    For closure- we ended up going to Tyler SP and you guys were right, it did drain really well. Everything went off without a hitch. Thanks.

And now I have a nice long list of other trails I need to ride before summer...