mtbr member

Moving to San Antonio

Hey Guys,

I will be moving to San Antonio in the middle of next year, and I need some advice on what part of town to live in.

I am hoping to live within 5-10 minutes of a mountain bike trail, but I will more than likely be working downtown so I don't want my commute to be too long.

Anybody on here use San Antonio's public transportation?

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    If you could get a place close to I-10/1604 you'd have quick access to the Leon Creek Greenway. One of the best trail systems in SA in my opinion. I-10 would allow you quick access (10-15min) to downtown as well.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    If you could get a place close to I-10/1604 you'd have quick access to the Leon Creek Greenway. One of the best trail systems in SA in my opinion. I-10 would allow you quick access (10-15min) to downtown as well.
    From what I've been reading everything is around I-10 & 1604 and 281 & 1604. I'll more than likely live near one of those two locations. Right now I live less than 5 minutes away to two great trails here in Austin...I'm going to miss that convenience.

How's the traffic during rush hour on I-10?

BBB STYLEE
    crap. Literally.

Welcome to SA, enjoy your time here!
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Acres View Post
    From what I've been reading everything is around I-10 & 1604 and 281 & 1604. I'll more than likely live near one of those two locations. Right now I live less than 5 minutes away to two great trails here in Austin...I'm going to miss that convenience.

How's the traffic during rush hour on I-10?
    Rush hour on I-10 is brutal. They are starting a lot of work to improve it but it will be a couple of years before anyone can enjoy it.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    Rush hour on I-10 is brutal. They are starting a lot of work to improve it but it will be a couple of years before anyone can enjoy it.
    We have the same thing going on in Austin...thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Here's my $0.02...

If you want to live close to trails and close to downtown I would live near the Pearl Brewery Complex or Tobin Hill Neighborhood, just north of downtown. Downtown is a short bike ride away and Macallister Park is a 10 minute drive. You also have Government Canyon 25 minutes away and OP 20 minutes away. I lived in this area for over 2 years and it was really getting fun. Lots of interesting things to do within a short bike ride, excellent grocery shopping within biking distance, fun bars, restaurants and shops.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you want to live close to a REALLY nice MTB trail I agree with In-Yo-Grill. The Leon Creek trail system is excellent, still my favorite out of all the places I've ridden.

Living near I-10/1604 would give you quick access to that trail system. You can easily put together over 20 miles of great single track riding there.

In my opinion nothing close to the downtown area can compare, which brings us to the crux of the matter. You may have to choose between a short commute and quick access to an excellent trail system. I guess only you would know which is more important to you.

You can get downtown quickly from I-10/1604 if your not fighting rush hour traffic, if you are fighting rush hour then not so much.

If you decide that a short commute is the most important and opt to take up residence near the downtown area I would be very careful about where you move in. Their are many places around the downtown area that are less than savory.
    Last edited by Ted_R; 08-15-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    I'd rather be riding than healing, body armor is your friend !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_R View Post
    If you want to live close to a REALLY nice MTB trail I agree with In-Yo-Grill. The Leon Creek trail system is excellent, still my favorite out of all the places I've ridden.

Living near I-10/1604 would give you quick access to that trail system. You can easily put together over 20 miles of great single track riding there.

In my opinion nothing close to the downtown area can compare, which brings us to the crux of the matter. You may have to choose between a short commute and quick access to an excellent trail system. I guess only you would know which is more important to you.

You can get downtown quickly from I-10/1604 if your not fighting rush hour traffic, if you are fighting rush hour then not so much.

If you decide that a short commute is the most important and opt to take up residence near the downtown area I would be very careful about where you move in. Their are many places around the downtown area that are less than savory.
    It looks like I'll live out near I-10 & 1604 maybe off of Huebner or DeZavala. Anybody recommend any great apartments that are in the area, and that are not full of college kids.

My plan is to either use the university or crossroads park & ride to help with the commute. I don't mind traffic if I am not driving.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I live off Huebner and live in the Preserve, its a great place that is gated with a pool, quick access to I-10 and you normally dont get stuck in the rush hour traffic going to 1604. Still working on good trails here as i have been in town only for a month. Austin is an hour away and some great place. To find my apartment I used a finder service called apartments now which is just on the other side of the interstate. They have a website and we worked with a guy named billy elliot who really knows SA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It looks like I'll live out near I-10 & 1604 maybe off of Huebner or DeZavala. Anybody recommend any great apartments that are in the area, and that are not full of college kids.

My plan is to either use the university or crossroads park & ride to help with the commute. I don't mind traffic if I am not driving.

The Huebner/DeZavala area is a great choice, I live in that area now. You will have quick access to anything you need, including ( most importantly ) the trail system .

I will start collecting the names of apartment complexes in this area and post them here. As far as lack of college students I guess you could inquire of the apartment complex management and see if they are forthcoming with the info or not. I currently live in a home in this area and have limited knowledge of the going rates and apartment occupancy situation around here but I can at least get you some names as a starting point.

The San Antonio transit system ( known as VIA ) has won many awards so I think you will be in good hands there. The website link is VIA Metropolitan Transit

Hope that helps

Oh ! I just saw Dave's post above, that may be of help with regard to the apartment situation.

Also, you may want to look into getting an inexpensive GPS ( such as the Etrex 10 from Garmin ) or use your phone ( if it has that capability ) when you first get started on the Leon Creek trails. They are not marked but they are extensive and a GPS would allow you to explore wherever you choose without getting turned around or lost.

The guys here ( including myself ) can show you around also, still it might take awhile before you get the place memorized, and the GPS would be helpful in the meantime.
    Last edited by Ted_R; 08-16-2012 at 07:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Davehtutk View Post
    Still working on good trails here as i have been in town only for a month.
    Dave,

You can't imagine how close you are to an excellent trail system, ask some of us to show you where it is.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for all the help...I probably won't move till early next year but I'll be making frequent trips down there on the weekend to scope the place out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks guys for all the help...I probably won't move till early next year but I'll be making frequent trips down there on the weekend to scope the place out.
    Glad to help,

I made a mental note of 3 apartment complexes in my area this afternoon, they are The Windsor house, The Palermo, and The Vistas. I have no personal experience with any of them so I can't vouch for them, but they do look nice and they are all gated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_R View Post
    Glad to help,

I made a mental note of 3 apartment complexes in my area this afternoon, they are The Windsor house, The Palermo, and The Vistas. I have no personal experience with any of them so I can't vouch for them, but they do look nice and they are all gated.
    I appreciate man...I definitely keep these complexes in mind.

mtbr member
    I think living near the UTSA and Valero campus is the best.

FYI: Here's a Facebook group some of us use to coordinate local rides.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/330721690354946/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I used to live in VOHC Village of Hampton Cove. Complex was very nice & quiet. Kinda expensive but worth it, at least to me it was. They offer garages and you would never see people just "hanging out" in the parking lot or anything like that. Right off Huebner behind the Nissan dealership. Plus you have trails closeby. I personally like Salado, i think its the best trail in SA. Besides Govt Canyon & Flatrock.