Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Moving to Burnet- Ready to Dig and Ride

Hello,
    I'm moving to Burnet from East Texas in March and I am happy to know there are a few quality trails and advocacy groups nearby. I've built and maintained trails in Nacogdoches, TX since 2009 and I'm looking forward to doing the same with new friends around my new home.
    I am curious about a few things, though.
    Reveille Peak Ranch is obviously the closest trail system to Burnet, but are there others nearby that are open for weekday riding?
    Also, I'll be riding a Giant Reign X and Giant Faith. Who is the nearest/best Giant shop in the Austin area?
    I'll be moving and settling into a new job throughout March, but I hope to get involved ASAP.

Thanks for any feedback.

-Peyton Porterfield

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I know there are some trails out at Colorado bend state park. I haven't seen them yet. I live south of Austin so that's about all I know that's up near burnet. There is a bike shop called university cyclery in Austin that deals giant and jamis.

mtbr member
    Bosshoss, thanks for the tips. I'll have to check out University Cyclery. It looks like a nice shop.

I tried Colorado Bend last July. It kicked my butt. I only rode one day and succumbed to heat exhaustion- legs cramped out around mile 17.
    Honestly, it was too hot and I just was not prepared for the tech rocky climbing. Central Texas is a whole 'nother country from the Piney Woods.

The trails at Bend are nice, though, if you plan your routes well. I didn't.
    I hope to redeem myself soon. Check the place out. Camping and facilities are primitive, but the seclusion, canyon, and waterfall are worth it. I wish the river would come up so kayaking would be do-able.
    Last edited by PeytonP; 01-30-2014 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You are moving to a hot bed for mountain biking. I hope you enjoy the new job. Check out AustinBike.com - Your home for Central Texas Mountain Biking for trail information in the area.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
    You are moving to a hot bed for mountain biking. I hope you enjoy the new job. Check out AustinBike.com - Your home for Central Texas Mountain Biking for trail information in the area.
    Great site! Thanks for the link. I can't wait to have so many trails within distance of my usual drive to ride! Obviously, this terrain is completely different from the sand and clay I'm accustomed to. I've been skating by on downhill tires- Maxxis Minion DHF and High Rollers, tubed.

Should I heed any tire recommendations before hitting the rock and cactus? I'm switching to clipless soon and figure the fewer rear tire spinouts around cactus plants the better.

I'll have enough to sort out moving so if I can get my bike set up now then that's just a little less to worry about later!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am a road bike guy so my knowledge is no good for your application. Also I am in Houston where we wouldn't know a hill if it ran over us. Send an email to AustinBike.com. He usually responds with lots of info.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Congrats on the move to the hill country. I live 2 hours north of Austin straight up I-35, and still enjoy much of the same terrain the hill country has to offer. If you get to a point where you have tried much of the area there, come up north a bit and try 1.) Cameron Park in Waco 2.) Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose (my fav.) 3.) Cleburne State Park in Cleburne.

Personally as far as tires go I tend to run more D.H. type large casing aggressive tread with tubes as well.(mostly laziness has kept me from going tubeless) I would rather go bigger and try to avoid flatting as I have gone through many weaker tires in the past. Lots of sharp limestone rocks, ledges, cactus etc. on the trails I prefer to ride, but a bit overkill for trails like Tyler State Park. However I see plenty of guys running lighter XC racer tires. Just depends on the trail and rider preference I suppose! Also I'm 225 lbs. which has to be factored in!!
    Welcome, and ENJOY!!

mtbr member
    You'll be lucky to call RPR your home trail. That place is unbelievable. The rock turns to granite up there and is super grippy unlike the limestone we have in town. I'm not sure about this, but I think the locals with season passes to RPR can ride during the week (especially those willing to help maintain). Their posted hours are more of a staffing issue than anything.

Personally, I'd stay away from University. I've heard dozens of horror stories and could tell you one myself. Buck's Bikes is closer to you anyway and is a Giant dealer, but since you won't be going to the shop that actually sold you the bike, I'd wager that finding a mechanic you know, trust, and is accessible is far more valuable than just being a Giant dealer.

Now tires and pedals are a whole 'nother can of worms. Do what makes sense to you. Everyone has an opinion. It's not like you are going to put Racing Ralph's on your Faith. An aggressive trail tire like an Ardent works well around here. Tubeless is the way to go if you ask me. There are still some people who would rather change tubes on the side of the trail than maintain their sealant levels the night before. You do have to run a decently beefy sidewall if going tubeless. The rocks around here will cut a thin sidewall like butter.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I'm interested to see how the Minions and I handle that granite. I have a feeling that I'll be forced to grow quite a bit on the technical ascent side of AM riding- something that I'm really looking forward to!
    Does anyone know of downhill riders and trails around Austin? I'm sure I can find out eventually at shops, but maybe someone around the forum is familiar?

mtbr member
    Yeah there is also Dana Peak in Harker Heights, always open and free. It's listed north of austin on austinbike.com

Lots of great trails in georgetown and austin too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    You will also find lake Georgetown and brushy creek in range for riding from burnet.

As for tires, that is a highly personal choice, like underwear. 2.35" seems to work best. I am a fan of kendas, there are a few reviews on my site. Ardents are also popular, but everyone seems to have a stron opinion. Based on where you are coming from you will want chunkier tiers than you are used to.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    I've built and maintained trails in Nacogdoches, TX since 2009 and I'm looking forward to doing the same with new friends around my new home.
    I assume you're familiar with the trails across the street from SFA and the piece called Scooby. ??? I helped the Outdoor Rec department redesign some sections and designed the section called Scooby and built it with volunteers. If you've ridden it lately, I'd like to know how it's doing and how the trails are in general.

Thanks,

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'll second Buck's Bikes as a Giant dealer over University Bikes. It's a smaller shop and it more personable. The mechanics there are good guys too. Brushy Creek is a good mix between the fast flowy trails you sound like you are used to and the square edged rocks and technical drops and climbs that define central Texas riding. I like either Ardents or Specialized Butchers for the front and Specialized Ground Controls for the rear. Or go baller and do 2.4 Hans Dampfs for the front and 2.2 Hans Dampfs for the back. Those are all good for all mountain riding around here.

For DH types of stuff, there isn't much. You can contact the guys at Freeride512 for the closest thing to that. We just don't have long enough downhills for that kind of riding. They tend to be very steep, but very short.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Peyton, you should find Reveille Peak Ranch to be a great ride. I will also recommend Colorado Bend SP. I work there and would be happy to give you some pointers on the trails if you come out. We have 30 miles of trail, and will up that to 34 this summer.

Jason

mtbr member
    May 2007
    [QUOTE=jth442;10977470]Peyton, you should find Reveille Peak Ranch to be a great ride. I will also recommend Colorado Bend SP. I work there and would be happy to give you some pointers on the trails if you come out. We have 30 miles of trail, and will up that to 34 this summer.

+ 1 for Colorado Bend S.P. !!!!

Went out there Friday for the first time with my wife and met Jason who gave us a recommended route. It was an awesome ride, although we got out there late and only did just under 8 miles. Plenty of rocks to sharpen your skills on the Gorman Falls trail. It's a good 2.5 hour drive from where I live, but I will definitely come back and explore the rest of the trails...Thx Jason!!

Also Reveille Peak is AWESOME...That is no joke. It will surely test your skills. Only been out there once but will be back in the coming weeks! I think I will invest in some knee pads for next time!!

mtbr member
    Thanks again for all of the feedback, everybody.
    I'll have to check out Buck's Bikes as soon as I'm able.

A return to Colorado Bend is definitely in order. My ride there was the river trail to dogleg climb (mistake #1), down the jeep road, up to the falls (mistake #2) for hike, up to the windmill loop where I had to dump out. The plan was to take spicewood back to the river. It was too hot and my right leg cramped so bad I couldn't walk. Anyway... I'll redeem myself next time.

I really do appreciate the replies. I'm getting pumped up for the new job and very excited for all of the new trails!

mtbr member
    dburratti-
    The old Raider Trails have been through a little change. All of the old trails are still there, though we've slightly cleared the corridor in some places and added a few features. I don't know if the north loop of trails was there when you worked on it. A very short downhill trail with a wooden drop, road gap, and wallride was added, too.
    The drought and forestry dept. have done a number to it, unfortunately. Three years ago, a supposed fire break was cleared along the edge of the neighborhood and that end of Perimeter lost its seclusion. Then the drought really set in and quite a few trees died. Lines were cleared for paved walking paths near the apartments and creek, too. The forestry dept. then came in and started cutting lots of random old pines that probably would have recovered. The result of that and the drought was a loss of the canopy. Formerly, there was a fairly open forest floor. It was darker, cooler, and you could really lose yourself in that small section of woods. Since the canopy opened up, lots of brush and briar has invaded.
    It's still a great place to ride and I take care of it the best I can, but I do think back to how great it was a few years ago when it was more of an untouched pine forest and less tampered with by the university.
    All of that said, I'd recommend a visit to you central TX riders. I'd suggest staying in Tyler and riding the State park and Lindsey park for around 20-25 miles of pine forest singletrack (the state park being more technical with rocky rooty climbs and descents). Nacogdoches is a little over an hour south and has several miles of trail right in town by Stephen F. Austin State University. It has lots of places to eat very close by.
    Here's a map of the SFASU trail in Nacodgoches- Nacogdoches Trails | The GPS Geek

Pedal Damnit
    There is a new bike shop in Georgetown called Georgetown Cyclewerx, which would be pretty convenient for ya. They're not a Giant Dealer, but they definitely take care of you. Owners name is Paul. He does good work and stands by it.
    Lost in Texaslation

mtbr member
    I hear good things about Buck's and one of the three Bicycle Sport Shop locations is at Parmer and Lakeline. Those are both a little far away but so is everything if you're in Burnet.

Definitely check out Brushy Creek trails. there was a thread on this forum about it. also check out the bikemojo site.

mtbr member
    Thanks for more advice, guys. I'm so ready to get this move over with!
    Two weeks ago I separated my AC (low grade, thankfully) and partially tore a rotator cuff tendon So, I won't be able to charge into the new trails as hard as I had hoped.
    I've already started PT and tame singletrack will hopefully be on the agenda soon, but blasting down the rocky hills and learning to climb the more technical stuff may have to be postponed for a while. So frustrating!
    Keeping my fingers crossed to be back in full form ASAP.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    Does anyone know of downhill riders and trails around Austin? I'm sure I can find out eventually at shops, but maybe someone around the forum is familiar?
    Check out www.freeride512.com, and FreeRide512 on facebook. And welcome to central Texas.
    robert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robert w View Post
    Check out www.freeride512.com, and FreeRide512 on facebook. And welcome to central Texas.
    robert
    Thanks Robert. When I get settled in and my shoulder is back to strength I'll definitely schedule a day ride and check things out. There are so many nice ranches and private trails around... looks like yearly membership fees could add up quickly!

mtbr member
    Tomorrow is the big day!

I'll be settling into Burnet and anxious to become familiar with the area.

I'm seriously looking forward to learning the trails and getting involved.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Welcome to Central Texas! The Super D line is fun @ RPR (if I do say so myself), but I've not been back out there in years to check it out. Some good riding there for sure.
    Tons more riding towards town, especially look at the west side: Pace Bend, Muleshoe and FR512's stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Welcome to Central Texas! I also live in Burnet. I ride Reveille Peak almost every week-day and every non-race weekend. For downhill at RPR, Super D is nice. Also check out the flow track. For bike shops, I am fairly new to the sport and don't have a whole lot of experience, but I recommend Bicycle Sport Shop or Mellow Johneys. As for tires, again I don't have a lot of experience, but the granite at RPR grips nearly anything. However, something with tougher sidewalls will help as some of the rocks are fairly sharp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast