mtbr member

Moving back to El Paso del Norte

What tires are people running in the Franklin Mountains and the surrounding area?

I am moving back to El Paso this summer and since I will need new tires in a hundred miles or so I figured I would buy tires that people think work well in the area.

The bike is a 29er Lynskey Ridgeline with a 100mm Reba and I'm currently running Continental Mountain King 2.2 tires.
    Last edited by GrapeNutsRobot; 04-25-2011 at 06:05 AM.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Another DC Metro transplant just did a relocation 8-9 months ago. I have nothing for you tire suggestion wise. I like low rolling resistance for Terlingua, but haven't ridden EP. I'm guessing same deal in that area, I like my WT Weirwolf LT's for Terlingua.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have had good success with The Exiwolf and Weirwolf and just recently got some new Bontragers (sorry but I can't remember the name of them, they came on my Superfly). I've only done 3 rides on them but so far they are proving to be a great tire for here. I've also run the Kenda Nevegals before and they hold up great for our trails, but they might actually be overkill.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I guess?

I still don't have any idea what tires I will run when my current die but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    I used Panaracer Fire XC Pro on my 26er for a while. Mostly because they were cheap and I liked the grip they gave on those short but technical sections where you need that that extra ummph. I also used the Nevegals for a while (I think my bike came with them).

I bought a 29er in Jan, and they came with Bontrager 29-4s, which were pretty good, although I am waiting for some Maxxis Ardents to be delivered any day now (2.4 front and 2.25 rear).

The rear Bont 29-4s have had 2 sidewall tears, and I'm running a tube in there now. It may have been my newbie lack of tubeless knowledge, and I may have been running the PSI way too low. The front Bont 29-4 is still looking great actually, and I will probably keep that one as a backup once my Ardents are installed. As far as riding goes though, the 29-4s were great and provided excellent traction during climbing and turning.

That's about all the tire experience I have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I moved to EP from northern jersey. I had the same question when I got here and the guys at Crazy Cat suggested the Specialized "The Captain" tires.
    The trails here go from hard pack, to baseball size gravel, to slick rock, and every other type of rock you can think of. Basically $hit tons of rock.