mtbr member

Moving to Austin, should I sell my 180mm 26" AM bike?

Hi everyone.

I've recently learned of my acceptance into a Ph.D program at UT. I'm heading to Austin (from South Carolina) tomorrow morning to tour the school, visit, etc. I'm bringing my Scott Genius LT, and GT Ruckus dirt jumper, and hope to check out Walnut creek and Ninth Street DJ's. I will have my girlfriend with me and I'm kind of limited on how much riding I can actually do.

My question is: Will a 180mm travel Scott Genius be way too much overkill for the Austin area? I work at a bike shop now and could get a sweet deal on a 29r, 2x10, 650b, or some other xc bike and sell the Genius. The thing is I would have to get the new bike before moving, as I would no longer be working at the bike shop. At the very least I would probably swap out the 2.35 wide Michelin tires for something that rolls faster.

The 2012 Scott Genius LT 30 26" wheels, has been great for me thus far, especially here in SC where I have plenty of drops, gaps, jumps, freeride, etc. I've even taken this bike to Winter Park, CO and Snowshoe, WV and rode lift assisted downhill. My understanding is that the Austin area doesn't have as many feature type stuff.

Any input appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes. Sell it.

I lived in East TN before moving to SA and spent a lot of time riding in Austin. Definitely lose the 180. I'd get into DJing, BMX and/or get a 150mm bike with slack geometry, you will be happier. The riding and the scene are actually pretty good in Austin. Just get used to not having real mountains around.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I doubt anyone wants to buy a 26" big travel bike with all this hype on enduro and 27.5 and what not

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Walnut creek is a lot of fun but pretty tame, don't judge the area on those trails. However, a 180mm is pretty serious overkill for here, most of the tougher trails are super rocky, 2' type stair step deals. IMO the perfect bike for here would be a 25-27 lb 5" FS 29er. I'd be happy to show you around Walnut if my brake adapters show up while you're still here, it's been killing me not riding this week.

mtbr member
    Agree on selling it, a AM / Enduro ride or XC is pretty typical for the area. There are a fair share of skallywags there who rip bikes so keep an eye on whatever you bring. But it is a bike oriented city. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    180mm is far more than anyone needs here. 120-150mm seems to be the sweet spot. The drops that you will experience that need suspension are shorter and less sustained than the typical DH course. However, you'll definitely not be without great riding here, just not long DH courses. Take a look at my site for information.

If you want to ride something let me know. I work from home and my riding can be pretty flexible.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Keep it. There's a lot of great trails in Austin where having that bike is nice, specifically: Fr512 Home

Since you work at a shop, it wouldn't be bad to have a slack, shorter travel bike for XC.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the Freedride 512 link, I'd never have had any idea it was here! I'll definitely have to come out to the fest and check out some of the intermediate lines.

mtbr member
    Oh wow, thanks for the input, especially for the FR 512 link. I'm glad to hear there may be some bigger stuff.

meh... whatever
    i'd sell it if it's going to be your only mtb. you'll love your LT30 on the FR512 stuff, but when you ride the rest of the stuff around here (central texas area) you'll really be wishing you were on a more xc friendly bike.

mad props to the FR512 guys! i'm loving what they're doing and am looking forward to joining and riding it. nothing like grassroots movements to bring to existence what you want.

back in the early 90's when we started building the 9th st dj's we had a lot of opposition from the city and it was quite a fight. pretty obvious who prevailed though....

i'm just up the road in waco now, but we have some epic riding here in cameron park. hit me up if you ever want the $2 tour.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yes, you need to hit cameron park, it is well worth the drive. And you really need a tourguide to do it right.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    180mm is far more than anyone needs here. 120-150mm seems to be the sweet spot. The drops that you will experience that need suspension are shorter and less sustained than the typical DH course. However, you'll definitely not be without great riding here, just not long DH courses. Take a look at my site for information.

If you want to ride something let me know. I work from home and my riding can be pretty flexible.
    austin_bike I sent you a Direct Message.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I ride a stumpjumper fsr and really enjoy walnut, Cameron park and Dana peak. Walnut is the only trail I've been to in Austin.

mtbr member
    Wow, you guys have a great trail system. I loved walnut creek, super fast and hardpacked in some places. I could see where a 29r would be faster, but I had a lot of fun on my Genius LT. I had even more fun with my dirt jumper at the bmx section. 9th street dirt jumps were also awesome. I didn't hit those quite as hard.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 2nd day in Austin, XC and DJs Walnut creek near Austin | Times and Records | Strava
    Moving to Austin, should I sell my 180mm 26" AM bike?-screen-shot-2014-03-21-1.11.23-pm.jpg

thanks for everyone's input.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Keep us posted as to when you come back (or did you already move?) FR512 fest is next weekend, but we do lots of trail rides too.

mtbr member
    I am back in South Carolina. I have committed to the PhD program and will move sometime around August but not sure of the exact date yet.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Very cool man. Congrats on the acceptance. Austin is a great town and there is plenty of fun/techy trail, but features are really reserved for dedicated playgrounds due to the "grey" nature of much of the trails. You should get some time at City Park and Barton Creek greenbelt. Good thing is that coming from SC, you'll be used to the heat but like the lack of humidity.

RideDirt
    I think Austin needs to contact the boys at Highland Bike Park in NH. They dont have a huge mountain or crazy elevation but their bike park is sick. I was out there for a weekend and the trails are the most dialed i have ever been on. They have anything from beginner to extreme. I wish Texas would really do something like this ASAP.

Ugly As F*ck
    I didn't even know that FR512 place existed. I'm wondering if that's worth a drive from Houston.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    I didn't even know that FR512 place existed. I'm wondering if that's worth a drive from Houston.
    The guys that drove from El Paso said it was worth it...

mtbr member
    Wow, that place does look incredible!
    Videos

I sure wish I had grown up with something like that instead of a half sheet of plywood and a couple of logs. The kids camp looks cool for little ones.

Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    I think Austin needs to contact the boys at Highland Bike Park in NH. They dont have a huge mountain or crazy elevation but their bike park is sick. I was out there for a weekend and the trails are the most dialed i have ever been on. They have anything from beginner to extreme. I wish Texas would really do something like this ASAP.

Ugly As F*ck
    Like others have said that bike is way overkill for about 90% of the terrain in central Texas. However, if you can have two bikes I'd keep it if you ever intend on traveling and riding outside of the state. There are plenty of trails/bike parks in New Mexico and Colorado where your longer travel bike would come in handy. And you'll look a lot less silly loading a bike with 180mm travel onto the lift than a hardtail carbon fiber 29er.

BBB STYLEE
    I have a full 8in downhill Fury 3.0 and I'm in SA.

I enjoy it on every trail. Think of it like this, sure a smaller bike will be quicker and lighter on the trails here, but don't you ever get the urge to push faster and blow through obstacles at speeds only accessible by a big bike?

I prefer the FUN factor to the, " that's too much for our area" factor. I'd keep it and blow **** up.

I do, however, miss my rigid ss 29er and would love another - but it is no where near as much fun as my Fury.

Welcome to Texas!
    Im referred to as a BBBM. Big Beautiful Beard Man.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. I think with the genius having the full lockout, traction mode, and full travel mode I will be fine. The disadvantage likely lies more in the wheel diameter than the travel.