I'm really diggin it!

Mountain Biking Near Grapevine Texas?

Yo whats up Texas MTBR?

I will be in Grapevine TX for work from Oct 7th to 23rd or so. I wont be able to ride all of the time but I'd love to check out the mountain biking out around Grapevine and areas north of DFW. The closer to DFW the better because I cant get out for too long before and after training.

So what are some good spots near Grapevine (NW DFW)

Know of a place I can rent a bike? Where would you stay that is moderately priced to be close to the trails but also close to the airport? I will be training here:

2929 W Airfield Dr, Dallas, TX 75261

I am an honest well known guy around Marin. So if anyone wants to rent a bike and make some $$ to someone who will bring it back better than you found it hit me up. I may bring a bike bike knowing the airlines it will cost at least 200-300 bucks just to bring a bike. So I'd rather give that to one of you for use of a bike.

If I can help with any trail building projects I'd love to pitch in and if anyone knows of dirt jumping spots that would be amazing. Know of any local group rides?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Glad you can visit Texas and check out what we have to offer. I live in the Houston area so I don't know all of the MTB answers for DFW. Two places to check are the DORBA.org website and the Fort Worth Mountain Bicycle Association website FWMBA.
    There are numerous trails and places to rent bikes.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by texbiker View Post
    Glad you can visit Texas and check out what we have to offer. I live in the Houston area so I don't know all of the MTB answers for DFW. Two places to check are the DORBA.org website and the Fort Worth Mountain Bicycle Association website FWMBA.
    There are numerous trails and places to rent bikes.
    Thank you sir!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey brother congrats on visiting one of the best areas in DFW for mountain biking.

You want to hit up Northshore Trail which is right there on Lake Grapevine. About 10 minutes from most of the big hotels. Here's a link to the trail description on my site.

Northshore Mountain Bike Trail

That's been voted the second best trail in the metroplex by our local riders. But if you find yourself wanting more, horseshoe trail is on the opposite bank of the lake although it is fairly difficult to navigate.

If you are looking for someone to ride with shoot me a message I would love to show you around. I may be able to wrangle you a demo bike as well.
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnskee22 View Post
    Hey brother congrats on visiting one of the best areas in DFW for mountain biking.

You want to hit up Northshore Trail which is right there on Lake Grapevine. About 10 minutes from most of the big hotels. Here's a link to the trail description on my site.

Northshore Mountain Bike Trail

That's been voted the second best trail in the metroplex by our local riders. But if you find yourself wanting more, horseshoe trail is on the opposite bank of the lake although it is fairly difficult to navigate.

If you are looking for someone to ride with shoot me a message I would love to show you around. I may be able to wrangle you a demo bike as well.
    Sounds good. First day of training is the 7th. Looking forward to meeting you. Do you know of a good local shop that does bike rentals?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Sounds good. First day of training is the 7th. Looking forward to meeting you. Do you know of a good local shop that does bike rentals?
    Rentals is harder to come across out here. Best bet is to call a local shop and just talk with them. In the Grapevine area you have a couple options.

Cadence Cyclery is my shop and they are just opening a new shop about 10 minutes from the trail.
    McKinney - Cadence Cyclery

There is also Mad Duck Cyclery that is very close
    Orbea, Yeti, Moots & Colnago - From Texas? premier bicycle shop

And a Bicycles Plus that is maybe 5 minutes from the trail.
    Flower Mound | Bicycles Plus

Check with those guys about a bike.
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnskee22 View Post
    Rentals is harder to come across out here. Best bet is to call a local shop and just talk with them. In the Grapevine area you have a couple options.

Cadence Cyclery is my shop and they are just opening a new shop about 10 minutes from the trail.
    McKinney - Cadence Cyclery

There is also Mad Duck Cyclery that is very close
    Orbea, Yeti, Moots & Colnago - From Texas? premier bicycle shop

And a Bicycles Plus that is maybe 5 minutes from the trail.
    Flower Mound | Bicycles Plus

Check with those guys about a bike.
    Thanks for taking the time to write all that down for me!

mtbr member
    Are you training at Simu Flight?

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by TxVeno View Post
    Are you training at Simu Flight?
    Yes. I am doing an 18 day initial class.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey Simon View Post
    Yes. I am doing an 18 day initial class.
    If you're going to be in town that long, there are 3 trails relatively close to Grapevine with the mentioned Northshore being the highest rated. Horseshoe and Knob Hills are shorter. Sometimes after rain, Horseshoe opens prior to Northshore.

This map should be handy for trails in your area (zoom out for other Dallas trails since it looks like you'll be in town over a weekend or two).

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Big Cedar has some downhills. 35 mins or so south of where you'll be.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Big Cedar Wilderness Trail is a must do, if you can get there. It is south of where you are training by about 30 minutes as stated above. It is one of the most challenging trails around the area and worth the drive if you can get the time together.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

I'm really diggin it!
    Thank you all for the suggestions and help. Can't wait for my first mountain bike ride in Texas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Big Cedar Wilderness Trail is a must do, if you can get there. It is south of where you are training by about 30 minutes as stated above. It is one of the most challenging trails around the area and worth the drive if you can get the time together.
    Fully agree, if you get a chance it is a killer ride.

Church of the Bike
    What size of a bike do you ride? Are you bringing pedals?

I'm really diggin it!
    I ride a size medium MTB and 54cm road

I will likely bring shoes a helmet and buy some flat pedals out there.

Thanks