mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Mountain Biker Down at River Legacy

Home > News > The Scoop Comments 0 | Recommend 0Bicyclist collapses, dies on trail in Arlington's River Legacy Parks
    ByMatt Peterson/Editor
    mpeterson@dallasnews.com | Bio

6:56 AM on Wed., Apr. 25, 2012 | Permalink
    Here's an update from Kristin, who spoke to a volunteer who patrols the trails to help bikers:

Members of the North Texas Mountain Bike Patrol tried to save the life of a fellow cyclist Tuesday night.

"He just never came back," said David Nelke, who provides medical and mechanical assistance to bikers on the trails. "We did everything we could, but it wasn't enough."

Nelke said two men saw Edward Guillen, 54, slumped over his bike on the ground less than a minute after he fell in River Legacy Parks in North Arlington.

They called 911 about 7 p.m..

Soon afterward, Nelke and another patrolman came across the men helping the fallen cyclist. He said Guillen was still "breathing but out of it."

While the men gave the victim CPR, another man went to direct paramedics to the scene, Nelke said.

They continued trying to resuscitate the man for 15 to 20 minutes, and paramedics tried for an additional 15 to 20 minutes after they arrived.

Nelke said that he carries a bag when he's on patrol with medical supplies like the CPR mask he used on Guillen. He said the victim had no identification, only car keys.

He said everyone should carry an ID with a name and phone number when participating in a sport.

Nelke wanted to express the condolences of the patrol group to the victim's family.

"A mountain biker went down, and mountain bikers helped him" he said. "We're a community."

Staff writer Kristin McKenzie reports:

A bicyclist collapsed and died Tuesday night on a trail in Arlington's River Legacy Parks.

The cyclist, who was not named, appeared to suffer from a medical condition, police said, though his cause of death had yet to be confirmed.

"This appears to have been medical with no signs of foul play," Arlington police spokeswoman Tiara Richard said.

Paramedics were called to the scene about 7 p.m. when someone who had been riding with the man called 911. Attempts to revive the victim were unsuccessful.

The man's name and age have not been released.

mtbr member
    I rode that trail that day. Such a sad story. Best wishes to his family.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    It was there when everything was happening, it was a sad day.

Monster FTW
    Wow, be careful out there guys. I'm going to talk to my riding group about safety ID's.
    2014 Specialized Camber Carbon Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Glad I saw this, I need to be more on the ball and carry info also.

Big Damn Hero
    RIP to the fallen rider...

Even though it's was originally intended for roadies, I always wear a RoadID ankle bracelet whether I'm on the road bike or mountain bike.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's a good idea to carry your cell phone (with an ICE number), your driver's license and health insurance card in your camelback when you ride. Ya never know!