mtbr member
    Jun 2014

McKinney? Could you live there?

I know some business people down that way but don't know much about the town. Anything of interest both biking and everything else?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Hey eddie88, from a locals perspective you couldn't ask for anything better.

DFW is home to the largest mountain bike club in the nation, DORBA. We have close to 30 trails within 1.5 hours from McKinney and 3-5 within 15-30 minutes depending where in the area you live.

McKinney is one of the hotspots in the metroplex and home to Erwin Park, more info in link.

http://www.texasmountainbiketrails.c...ckinney-texas/

We even have weeknight MTB racing on Thursday nights over the summer. Http://dfwsummerseries.com

As for culture, community and entertainment, it really is top notch. McKinney has a great local culture and the square is a great historic site with tons of shops, restaurants and lots of events through the year. Dallas is just a 20 minute drive down the highway and full of art, entertainment and more.

What else do you want to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Shucks maybe I'll move down there.
    Not sure about housing affordability down there though, and how are the taxes?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    FWIW, the DFW area has a LOT of sprawl. If you look to move, make sure you are in the area you will do most of your living (and working) in. Pick the wrong part of the area and you are stuck with a brutal drive in traffic. Before you move, spend a week on vacation and make sure and drive around during the times you would be going to work. It may be an hour for me to get to Erwin (which is a fun fast trail) on the weekend, but it would be closer to 2 hours during rush hour on a bad day. I have known people that choose where to live in this area based on what the internet says the demographics are like and have ended up pretty unhappy.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Good point Knight511. He's right, there is a ton of sprawl and a lot of traffic.

As for affordability and taxes, both are pretty excellent. Money magazine voted McKinney one of the top cities to live in the past two years.

Housing has historically been less volatile here than other parts of the country and our economy and biz environment as well. Source: I used to run advertising for realtors here in DFW.

When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yeah McKinney is on the edge of that sprawl. Most southern and southwestern cities have sprawl. They grew out, not up, and for some reason, suburbs get abandoned for those further out.

If McKinney is where you work (or an adjacent burb like Allen or Plano), it will be pretty tolerable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnskee22 View Post
    Good point Knight511. He's right, there is a ton of sprawl and a lot of traffic.

As for affordability and taxes, both are pretty excellent. Money magazine voted McKinney one of the top cities to live in the past two years.

Housing has historically been less volatile here than other parts of the country and our economy and biz environment as well. Source: I used to run advertising for realtors here in DFW.

What I don't understand is, if the taxes and affordability aren't that high, how do they have some of the best school districts in the country?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Capitalism?

Honestly I don't know the answer to that question.

mtbr member
    Schools are paid for by property tax, which is very high in Texas no matter the city. Austin >>> DFW but costs are much higher for living.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie88 View Post
    What I don't understand is, if the taxes and affordability aren't that high, how do they have some of the best school districts in the country?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcraw View Post
    Schools are paid for by property tax, which is very high in Texas no matter the city. Austin >>> DFW but costs are much higher for living.
    Interesting. School and Property Tax combined I pay 10K a year in NY. The property seems to be more affordable in the DFW area but the high taxes keep the schools running efficiently. You also say the cost of living is high in McKinney?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

I wouldn't say it's high. More like midrange.

mtbr member
    No, cost of living in Austin is high compared to DFW.

Property tax in a city in Texas is going to be 2.4-2.9% the value of your home every year. And it is not fixed, so if your house goes up in the value your property tax continues to climb, although the increase is capped at 10% year over year, or if you are 65 and up they will freeze the amount.

If you buy a house outside of a city (just in the county) you can expect ~1% lower yearly property tax but probably slightly higher utility rates.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcraw View Post
    No, cost of living in Austin is high compared to DFW.

Property tax in a city in Texas is going to be 2.4-2.9% the value of your home every year. And it is not fixed, so if your house goes up in the value your property tax continues to climb, although the increase is capped at 10% year over year, or if you are 65 and up they will freeze the amount.

If you buy a house outside of a city (just in the county) you can expect ~1% lower yearly property tax but probably slightly higher utility rates.
    Low taxes compared to NY.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What's the weather like in McKinney? Looking on the map it looks like it's somewhat close to the Oklahoma line.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Texas also has no state income tax (which many others do). As to the question of why McKinney has a nice school district... the tax rate may be low, but when you have a higher average value of house, you get more tax money. When you have a general "white flight" north in the area to places like McKinney, Allen, Keller, etc, much of the money is taken north and the bigger house are built there. In turn, you can have "lower" tax rates but still pay more in taxes.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Weather. Hot in the summer. Colder than the southern side of the DFW area in the winter.

Average Weather for McKinney, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Winter isn't bad. We get, usually, 1 or 2 days of ice (not snow!) and the entire area shuts down because it is usually too hazardous to drive on the ice. Summers are hot/humid and water is being rationed. I was born and raised in North Texas, so I am very acclimated to the weather, so I love it.... "foreigners" often hate it though because where they came from was either cooler or hot and dry. It isn't the best weather, it also isn't the worst.

All that said, we don't have indoor bike parks for a reason. So long as the trails aren't muddy, you can ride 12 months out of the year and never flinch.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    McKinney is basically in the NE/NNE edge of the mentioned sprawl. From a biking perspective, take a look at the Texas trails map and zoom into the Dallas area. You'll see that you're close to maybe 1-3 trails. Those are generally considered the entry level trails. Northshore and Big Cedar are the trails which people tend to rank the highest.

Hopefully, you'll work in McKinney, Plano, Richardson, or Frisco. If you're in downtown Dallas, check some Google maps drives times. Most would use about 40 minute drive time default estimate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you like to do anything else outdoors besides mountain bike I would pick somewhere else to live. Dallas is at least 3-4 hours away from any decent hiking, kayaking, backpacking etc.. The land in Texas is about 99% privately owned so the recreation opportunities unless you like to fish are few and far between. If all you like to do is ride mtb then DFW is a good spot because they have plopped a trail down on just about anything > 100 acres.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    Texas also has no state income tax (which many others do). As to the question of why McKinney has a nice school district... the tax rate may be low, but when you have a higher average value of house, you get more tax money. When you have a general "white flight" north in the area to places like McKinney, Allen, Keller, etc, much of the money is taken north and the bigger house are built there. In turn, you can have "lower" tax rates but still pay more in taxes.
    Un-PC as hell, but the real answer lies in the above: white flight. The less cynical answer is that the people that give a damn about schools, wealthy and otherwise, basically band together and get the schools in shape. Which may also be the answer as to why suburbs get "abandoned." When economics and other factors can't keep people that don't give a damn about schools out of a burb, there's another one further out to take its place.

DFW is not exactly outdoor paradise, but there are places to fish and camp within an hour or two, including world class bass fishing. Most of the Dallas trails are in various burbs, including the northern ones like McKinney.

I'm a North Texas native also and went to school in Austin. The hot in Texas is really topped only by Arizona. It's )(#*&$)(#@*& hot here. Austin has a lot more geography and hence more outdoor opportunities. It's also ridiculously popular with furriners (get a rope!) and overpriced. Traffic is also horribad. It's basically unlivable at present.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Twicehorn nails it. Eventually, the money will be driven north of the Oklahoma border and south of Waco.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just not sure where to go anymore. Sounds nice down there in the DFW area, but I don't know anybody and have to have work lined up. My sister and brother in law will end up in AZ where my brother is, and well I'm not sure if I want to move there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Texas does have one of the better employment climates in the nation. Not sure I would be moving anywhere without something lined up though.

mtbr member
    While northern DFW does have ALOT of trails, it might not be the type of trails you are thinking of. mostly XC type trails with minimum amount of elevation. Northshore is a good somewhat technical trail, and Big Cedar, down southwest of Dallas, is probably the biggest, gnarliest trails in the area.

where are you coming from?

im NOT trashing the DFW trails at all. theyre great and DORBA does an amazing job with the terrain/land available, but want to make sure OP has the right expectations of what kind of trails are there

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    sooner518 isn't bashing, he is just stating the obvious. North Texas is part of the plains, for the most part. We do have an escarpment here or there (Big Cedar is built on the largest in the area), but if you are looking for downhill riding, we don't have it. If you want to climb for hours, we don't have it. We have trees, roots and a few rocks. We do also have a kick ass biking community though. For the area being as "flat" as it is (there are MUCH flatter spots... like Kansas), there are a lot of folks that are truly into off road riding.
    Fat guys need bikes too.